You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Electric cars

edited December 2010 in The Shed
Seen that electric cars are now comming onto the market and the government is giving 5K off, they still will cost 4 times there petrol equivalent. I was thinking of getting one but im not so sure now, I have 4 questions.
1) they have a range of 80 odd miles on a full battery, so a journey of 250 miles will require 3 re charge stops, how long does it take to recharge (my electric golf buggy takes 8 hours lol)
2) Where are all these re charge stops? I havn't seen one!
3) I hear the battery costs in the region of 5 grand and will last about 8 years of normal use, so who would buy a second hand one of these cars?
4) when do you reckon the government will tax these re charge points the same as petrol? (when we all have them?)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    From what i'v heard 8-12 hours is the time taken for a full battery charge.

There aimed more at people who live and work in the same city, so say 20-30 mile round trip daily commute max, the idea is that you would use public transport for anything longer.

Don't think they will be economical to run for another 10-15 years, and then only if they take off (in popularity that is).

At the moment as with all other environmental technologies you have to pay more for your good deed.
  • edited December 2010
    Hydrogen cars are where its at IMO.

Some charging points in London.

Only worthwhile for communiting fairly short distances.  A friend of mine was on a trial for an electric Mini and he said it was great for going around Oxford but he wouldn't risk it any further as even a fairly short traffic jam would have had him worried that he wouldn't get home.

Electric cars woulda been useless on stuck on the M1 in the snow.  Think of how much power the lights/heating/radio etc.  Batteries woulda died within an hour.

EDIT:  also the environmental aspect is a false economy.  the carbon cost of mining the metals that are used in the batteries/making them/shipping them around the various different plants in the world and then getting the made vehicle to England means that you could run a 4.0l Range Rover, with most of the parts built and assembled in England, for 15 years and still be causing the same kind of carbon footprint.