You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

very odd spot - have no idea what to do. Opinions

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Ok ive just been moved to this table then this happens.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceliono369Small blind 400.00400.0031772.50dont-askBig blind 800.001200.0014060.00 Your hole cards44   The_Don90Raise 1600.002800.0017615.00mancity11Fold    WYLIEBILLCall 1600.004400.0011183.75liono369Fold    dont-askFold    Flop  AAA  

How do you guys play this

Comments

• edited December 2010
    FOLD! lol lol lol
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: very odd spot - have no idea what to do. Opinions:
    bet
    Posted by BlackFish3
    if he calls what will you do on the turn ? why would you bet and how much? how would you play this hand if you had the ace or a higher pair 10+?
  • edited December 2010
    bet 2.5k.  if we check then we just give him the pot tbf.

• edited December 2010
    bet 2.5k.  if we check then we just give him the pot tbf.
    Posted by scotty77
    then check it to him if he calls?, i dont think they get to much out of line on these boards but i think they like to peel one if they have high cards which is pretty bad
  • edited December 2010
    Helps a lot to know something about what range of hands he's calling with pre and how he plays flops, if he's liable to float with K highs, Q highs etc. Obviously you can't know this since you just moved to the table so I'd just assume he's calling a lot wider than he should be pre and playing fit or fold postflop and just bet somewhere between half pot and 3k and hope to take it down, likely giving up if he calls. Checking seems very reasonable too though. There would be a much more definitive answer if you had played with villain longer obviously, I don't think you can go too wrong either way here without knowing anything about him.
  • edited December 2010
    Helps a lot to know something about what range of hands he's calling with pre and how he plays flops, if he's liable to float with K highs, Q highs etc. Obviously you can't know this since you just moved to the table so I'd just assume he's calling a lot wider than he should be pre and playing fit or fold postflop and just bet somewhere between half pot and 3k and hope to take it down, likely giving up if he calls. Checking seems very reasonable too though. There would be a much more definitive answer if you had played with villain longer obviously, I don't think you can go too wrong either way here without knowing anything about him.
    Posted by LMLS2
    yeah its defo a spot were reads and info is important, as scotty said if you check it gives him the opportunity to try and take it away but i think if he has us beat hes calling our bet anyway so maybe check it and that way we can pick up any bluffs  its giving him free card but its 6 outs so not terrible?, its really tough spot i would be interested to hear what others have to say
  • edited December 2010

Bet 3/4 pot and hope to tid.

Raise slightly more pre.

• edited December 2010

I was watching this live - so I know what happened.

I have no idea what to do same as the O.P.

What do people think about a c/r all in?
  • edited December 2010
    I was watching this live - so I know what happened. I have no idea what to do same as the O.P. What do people think about a c/r all in?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Problem with this is we are not getting called by anything that we are beating imo.

And the only hands that our opponent could fold that we are losing to, 55-88, he prob wont fold anyway due to his stack size, and that generally people don't fold full houses!

So i don't like a c/r all in here because im not sure what its achieving!?
  • edited December 2010
    at the lower stakes people take a very passive line on these boards iv seen players in position check down qq kk lol, looking at the villains stack i really don't think he will get out of line here he should be going with it or folding so im swaying towards leading out now 2600 sounds good, I'm betting to protect my equity here and if he calls i think im done with the hand
  • edited December 2010
    i dont know what happens as dont watch the show but i would be pretty happy with my hand here and check wait for him to bet and then come straight back over the top allin, if its checked back i would just shut up shop tbh. I know that sounds odd but you get checked back on here its unreadable in my eyes. If he has the ace unlucky if he has anything else the pressure is on him to make the call
  • edited December 2010
    i dont know what happens as dont watch the show but i would be pretty happy with my hand here and check wait for him to bet and then come straight back over the top allin, if its checked back i would just shut up shop tbh. I know that sounds odd but you get checked back on here its unreadable in my eyes. If he has the ace unlucky if he has anything else the pressure is on him to make the call
    Posted by sharkcj
    This was why i made this play. It wasnt on the telle DOHHHH was railing me at the time.

Anyways i know i had the opponent covered. Therefore i decided to check/shove knowing because its his tournament (this was at the latter stages approching FT too) he was unlikley to call. And how many turn cards do i really like?
  • edited December 2010
    a check shove is terrible IMO.
  • edited December 2010
    If you're planning to check/shove would it not be better to just open shove the flop?
  • edited December 2010

Just to make it clear, I suggested c/r all in to keep the discussion going....it isnt necc'rily what i'd do......

Bob ^^^ I think c/shoving is better than open shoving, as u get some chips from bluffs. You go broke if you are beat either way - the 1 advantage of c/shove over open shove is u win an extra bet.....

Maybe if you open shove you fold out 55/66 ....maybe 77/88???? Agh I dunno

As I said earlier, Im clueless.

Im finding I have no idea what to do alot lately :D - must be the snow??? :S
  • edited December 2010
    Horrible spot.

Bet for information IMO, you took the betting lead pre-flop, so I c-bet about 3.5K here. Surely he'll have to fold anything execpt pairs or the ace. If he comes over the top you'll have to assume he has you beat. If he calls I think I'd give up and try and check it down.
  • edited December 2010
    bet just over half then shut down

gl c/shoving
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: very odd spot - have no idea what to do. Opinions : if he calls what will you do on the turn ? why would you bet and how much? how would you play this hand if you had the ace or a higher pair 10+?
    Posted by N1CK
    If he calls flop, I probs bet turn as well. Bet for value because probs got best hand, bet so that villain doesn't draw for free if he has overs. I would be c-betting this flop with all of my hands so yes if i had the ace and yes if i had a higher pair.
    Anything else you want to know lol?
  • edited December 2010
    I dont like the min raise pre :p

as played bet 3k+ and  then re-assess based on reads, the face they have only called a raise pre if they had a pair its a low one so i would probably lean towards a call if they shove also shove if they re-raise.

im not folding in this spot unless i have a good read, difficult spot tho
  • edited December 2010
    try to be less suspicious.
  • edited December 2010
    c/shoving is exactly the opposite of what you want to do

if hes flatting overs and peeling then have notes on him innit. bet flop and take it from there.
  • edited December 2010
    so ur min raising utg with 44 with at least 2 shortackers left to act (i cant see the other stacks)...hmmm.......this hand just stinks imo....raise more pre or FOLD PRE

as played...bet 3-3.5k if he calls he's committed and aint foldin so shut down

FWIW....wyliebill should be either re shoving or folding pre with his stack, flatting an utg min raise with 14bb's is terrible, (maybe if he has premium its forgiveable)