You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What is Rake?

edited December 2010 in Poker Chat
Apart from something to tidy up leaves !  what is "rake" I hear it mentioned, I heard LOLUFOLD mention it as a reason for not going head to head with evenly matched players, he said the rake is the only winner ?  I no understand !

Comments

• edited December 2010
    the rake is the fee that Sky take from every cash pot played.

ie hes saying that he and player XYZ are so evenly matched that in the long run that Sky only benefits from them playing
  • edited December 2010
    rake is paid to the house aka sky poker....percentage of the pot is paid but is also capped at certain amounts. heads up is different you have to pay rake every hand since ur gonna be in every hand, if you get 2 opponents in a stale mate situation rake would dwindle their stacks without them making sufficient return on investment 
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What is Rake?:
    rake is paid to the house aka sky poker....percentage of the pot is paid but is also capped at certain amounts. heads up is different you have to pay rake every hand since ur gonna be in every hand, if you get 2 opponents in a stale mate situation rake would dwindle their stacks without them making sufficient return on investment 
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Even worse with omaha cash
  • edited December 2010
    But playing a poor player rake should not be a problem or players worse than you to put it in a nicer way!!
  • edited December 2010
    Is Sky the ONLY site (out of hundreds) that doesn't have rakeback deals?
  • edited December 2010
    cash for points is hte same thing tbf

and there aren't hundreds of poker sites.  there are about a dozen with hundreds piggy backing with a skin
  • edited December 2010
    Posted by Die_hard
    Sky Poker offers Cash For Points which is essentially the same thing.

I can think of at least one site that doesn't offer either.
  • edited December 2010
    I have never noticed a % of cash pots going to the house ? have to look out fo it next time I play cash ! just pleased to win a cash hand now and then LOL !
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What is Rake? : Sky Poker offers Cash For Points which is essentially the same thing. I can think of at least one site that doesn't offer either.
    Posted by MereNovice
    And people still play there?  Wow!
  • edited December 2010
    I have never noticed a % of cash pots going to the house ? have to look out fo it next time I play cash ! just pleased to win a cash hand now and then LOL !
    Posted by PUCPOUND
    If u raise to say 50p & get 1 caller u would expect there to be £1 in middle (assuming u & oppo r the blinds) - if u look at the pot will be something like 95p in there - 5p to Sky
  • edited December 2010
    feel a bit of a numpty for not knowing ! as said before just happy to win what ever i win on cash ! how does it work in a live game then ?
  • edited December 2010
    feel a bit of a numpty for not knowing ! as said before just happy to win what ever i win on cash ! how does it work in a live game then ?
    Posted by PUCPOUND

You'll need to change your name to PUC95p now  :o)

• edited December 2010
    Posted by Die_hard
    No rakeback is financial suicide. Entirely mindless. Most poker players can't beat the rake. Ever.
  • edited December 2010
    i take it then, a positive roi on sharkscope and a negitive profit would be down to rake then?
  • edited December 2010

A pain in the bum.
  • edited December 2010
    i take it then, a positive roi on sharkscope and a negitive profit would be down to rake then?
    Posted by pod1
    No, not at all.
    Sharkscope doesn't reflect cash games.

That would be due to the way that Sharkscope represents those figures - see the site for precise details.
    It just reflects the fact that you have won more often in lower buy-in tournaments.

• edited December 2010
    Posted by pod1

playing 1 or 2 really high-stakes games compared to the rest of your games (that you are +ROI% in) and losing, which would drop your profits alot.

Example-

Play 100 £5 sngs with a ROI% of 50%, so you'd be +£250
    Go play a £500 buyin sng and lose, which would only drop your ROI% a small margin, but drop your profits to -£250.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What is Rake? : playing 1 or 2 really high-stakes games compared to the rest of your games (that you are +ROI% in) and losing, which would drop your profits alot. Example- Play 100 £5 sngs with a ROI% of 50%, so you'd be +£250 Go play a £500 buyin sng and lose, which would only drop your ROI% a small margin, but drop your profits to -£250.
    Posted by sikas

Hey that doesnt make too much sense to me can you put in simple terms for us simpletons ty
  • edited December 2010

haaaaaaaaaa really young gun????

That's about as simple as it gets!!!!

No wonder you're a bloody receptionist :) loooooooool
  • edited December 2010
    haaaaaaaaaa really young gun???? That's about as simple as it gets!!!! No wonder you're a bloody receptionist :) loooooooool
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

I sort of do understand but i dont :p
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What is Rake? : I sort of do understand but i dont :p
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Let's say that you play two tournaments.
    One is £2.20 buy-in and the other is £55 buy-in.

You cash for £11 in the £2.20 buy-in but fail to cash in the £55 buy-in.

Your net "profit" is  -£46.20.

Your ROI on the first event is 400%
    Your ROI in the second event is 0%

Therefore, your average ROI% is 200%.

Let me know if you need more information.
  • edited December 2010
    Know that sums it up to a tea mr merekat very well explained sir
  • edited December 2010
    Know that sums it up to a tea mr merekat very well explained sir
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    When my teachers tried to explain things to me and I really didn't get it, I just nodded, and agreed, and looked like I understood too. It was easier and less embarrassing than asking questions.   

It's okay Youngster, I'm sure you are not alone. 

At least you're good at writing !!! 

,......ahhhhh, errrr, wait................................
  • edited December 2010
    This diagram below is a good way for explaining rake.

• edited December 2010
    bump!

it takes sooooooooo long for my pics to be approved its ruined the joke by then lol.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What is Rake? : When my teachers tried to explain things to me and I really didn't get it, I just nodded, and agreed, and looked like I understood too. It was easier and less embarrassing than asking questions.    It's okay Youngster, I'm sure you are not alone.  At least you're good at writing !!!  ,......ahhhhh, errrr, wait................................
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

haha my mistake on first word oops, not that i cant spell just that i write poorly and dont check over it

oh well dohhhhead tell someone who cares mr average :p