You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

set vs higher set

edited December 2010 in Poker Chat

I played a hand where i had pocket 22 in mid position. There was a mid raise one off UTG. I called, and the button called and the big blind called.

Flop come 28King all different suits. The opener bets half the pot. I raised him (3times). The two other plays fold. He then goes all in (betting roughly the whole pot) ....I call...

He turns over pocket KKK, I have set of 2. He wins.

I think i could have folded possibly top pair or even two pair.. but I could not fold a set.

Is there anyway to get away from that hand - maybe the call preflop was bad??

or is it just a suitutaion you are going to loose money.

Also what are the odds of two people both flopping sets???

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Just a personal thing, with the board not flushing or straightening there are only two hands that he could have that would beat you.

I don't think anyone gets away from that one,  it's a cooler and you just have to take your lumps when that happens.

If you did fold in that situation you would be throwing away too many winning situations.  Just my tuppence worth ;o)
  • edited December 2010
    Just one of them things tbh mate.

Its a flop you want to see, dryest flop ever with a high card where Ax Kx had hit.

Theres times i have folded 22/33/44 pre flop when it's been raised in early position, purely because if the flops likely gonna throw 3 higher cards at you.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: set vs higher set:

Cheers, I think it was a cooler too. But i makes me wondering in the long run if it is better to fold lower pockets to any mid raise near the gun... 

Perhaps in the long run that would reduce the variance in my game and getting in difficult suituation like that...

Or in the long run is this situations and similar ones so unlikely that folding pockets preflop (to a mid raise..) would be unprofitable....???

• edited December 2010

I vary it on the play of the raiser, if he is TAG i often fold, if he's loose i go set mining, knowing if i hit he's betting into me and i get the value out of the pot. Often it would prove to be unprofitable with small pockets but when they come can be VERY profitable.

• edited December 2010
    He will show you AK more times than a bigger set. Phil Gordon said in his little green book don't even think about another set it's so uncommon. Just a cooler, long term this call makes you money. I'm never folding here.
  • edited December 2010
    Hi hamster

I have had a pair of 8,s mid pos, the flop hit 8K7, I raised, he called, blank flop, I shove, he snap call, turns over KK, its just one of those things that happens in poker, In my opinion, there is no way you could get away from this hand.
  • edited December 2010
    If the original raiser is tight I will call with small pairs just to try to hit set.

You hit but got unlucky, with that board I would of got all the money in there.