You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Need a change?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Played my live game tonight, and i played it strong and made hardly any mistakes, yet i came out of it with nothing to show for, as usual.

Exiting hand tonight was my QQ against A10 on a 8JQ raindow board being busted... would of made me chip leader, big pot.

Seems to be a re-occuring theme for myself, playing correct poker, making good open raises and calls etc.. but always come out a loser, often by a bad beat.

So.. what do i need to change? Gonna give it a proper bash again in January after not depositing since november, so really would like to know what changes to my game i can make. I see myself as TAG but with the ability to use my position well. I don't often make plays early on, but was thinking about trying so, in order to gain respect amongst the tables.

Thoughts/help would be much appreciated and sorry for the wall of text :)

Thanks,

Comments

• edited December 2010
    If your getting your chips in the pot when your ahead and lady luck is against you nowt if your playing good poker, over all you should come out on top if you dont tilt.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Need a change?:
    If your getting your chips in the pot when your ahead and lady luck is against you nowt if your playing good poker, over all you should come out on top if you dont tilt.
    Posted by waynecure
    Yeh i know mate, and thanks for the reply, and i don't wanna sound like a moaner, it's just not happening lol.
    It often knocks me out of the tournament, therefore when these often bad beats happen im ruined and have nothing left behind, so was wondering if it's an idea to try and play more agressive earlier on to build a big enough stack.
  • edited December 2010

Why would you want to change anything if you're putting yourself in a position to be hit with a bad beat every-time?

Can you remind me how to get it in good please?

If you can get a big stack early, then go for it, obv. Not that easy though.

Play cash instead of tournys? Play chess instead? ;)
  • edited December 2010
    Nothing you can do is there harts? your gettin it in when ahead and that says it all,i suppose eventually you will get the run of luck needed to win a tournament and i hope you do.I posted recently how can a player put their tourny on the line by calling most of their stack off with 3 7 os and they busted my A A,i was politely told not to moan and just get on with it,gl at the tables xxx
  • edited December 2010
    how about review your hands to see if it is just variance, if you are not sure maybe post on here

otherwise keep getting it in good and it will turn around
  • edited December 2010
    Cheers for the response guys and girls and i know i should stick to my game it's just fustrating, and ive been playing chess dohh whilst ive had a break from poker hoping my variancevwould change and it has yet too haha.

I am thinking of playing cash as i almost always make a profit when i have played it, it's just i enjoy the MTT and DYM formats. I've got a better laptop now so it should enable meto play 2/3 tables rather than just the one so we'll see how that goes in the new year :)

And thinking now i have probably explained things wrong as rather than a change i more looking for an improvement :)

thanks again,
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah stick to where you do better imo, i personally dont mind cash but suck as bit ABC at lower levels

i play MTT & STT mainly which has higher variance unfortunately so was on a sick run until saturday although only a 2nd but its a start, its frustrating when your getting in good so often but over time luck should even out.

maybe if you play the odd MTT and play cash alongside it? or DYM & Cash i have done in the past works quite well in both

anyways best of luck harts im sure your be on the right track soon
  • edited December 2010
    Yeh ill probably look towards playing cash with the odd MTT imo.

Thanks for the replies mate much appreciated hopefully see you on the tables in the new year
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Need a change?:
    Played my live game tonight, and i played it strong and made hardly any mistakes,
    Posted by HartshorN

dont want to come across as a bit of a **** but i can pretty much gurantee that this statement isnt true
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Need a change? : Yeh i know mate, and thanks for the reply, and i don't wanna sound like a moaner, it's just not happening lol. It often knocks me out of the tournament, therefore when these often bad beats happen im ruined and have nothing left behind, so was wondering if it's an idea to try and play more agressive earlier on to build a big enough stack.
    Posted by HartshorN
    Yesterday I lost big preflop pots with AA and KK to under pairs, they had 2 outs and hit .... so be it! Im happy to get my chips in as fav, over a period I will win, its when I'm calling from behind I start to worry.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Need a change? : dont want to come across as a bit of a **** but i can pretty much gurantee that this statement isnt true
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Personal thinking tbh, i never usually praise my game but i thought i did everything correct apart from a few stupid limps, i mean it wasn't really a long tournament about 2 hours i lasted,  came 7th out of 30 and would of been chip leader if i didnt get 4 outed. Fair if you don't think so, its a very bold statement by myself to suggest i didnt make many mistakes.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Need a change? : Personal thinking tbh, i never usually praise my game but i thought i did everything correct apart from a few stupid limps, i mean it wasn't really a long tournament about 2 hours i lasted,  came 7th out of 30 and would of been chip leader if i didnt get 4 outed. Fair if you don't think so, its a very bold statement by myself to suggest i didnt make many mistakes.
    Posted by HartshorN
    when i first started playing poker it was playing live (NOT MY BEST IDEA EVER)  anyway i quickly realised that it was better to play very tight and aggressive my fortunes soon changed and i had a very good string of results then i had a bad run getting outdrawn, sick beats and losing every flip etc

When you play ultra tight you don't give yourself the opportunity to accumulate chips so when your card dead and eventually get a hand chances are everyone has you covered so when your hand busts it seems 100 times worse because its the end of your tourney and you feel you have done nothing wrong,

in the early stages of a tourney you can play tight and wait for hands or you  see more flops and try to accumulate chips early, i cant really answer which one is best because they both have there pros and cons

So what am i saying? well the answer to that is nothing really lol,