You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Heads-up video: Sky Dave vs The Don 90

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
from the other side.

Part one

Part two

I will watch in two mins dave

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Hi all,

I've finally managed to record my thoughts through a heads-up match I played with The Don 90. For those of you who aren't aware of The Don's thread on General Poker Chat, he's recording his play against opponents and commenting on his play. I decided to put my neck on the line and let you guys critique my play.

Disclaimer: I am far from the perfect player. I'm not even 'very good'. The one thing I am able to do though is listen to different lines of argument and take on constructive feedback, so feel free to pick away or ask about particular hands.

Oh, and the match was epic which means it's been spliced into FOUR parts. Told you it was a long one.

Sky Dave v The Don - Part 1
    Sky Dave v The Don - Part 2
    Sky Dave v The Don - Part 3
    Sky Dave v The Don - Part 4

Note: The sound levels are a bit low on these so you might need to crank the speakers up a little to hear my 'Pearls of Wisdom' (TM). There also seem to have been some issues syncing the audio with the video itself which means the sound goes ahead somewhat. Sorry about that - all I have to say is I am not a sound engineer ;)

Thanks!
  • edited December 2010
    Good stuff!

The 33 flopped set hand was interesting.

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Heads-up video: Sky Dave vs The Don 90:
    Good stuff! The 33 flopped set hand was interesting.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Yes, it was. I did miss that 65 and T6 also make straights there. My bad. Interesting spot though and I still think I played the hand ok. The one thing I think I could have done is bet the turn, but as it goes he may have called and stacked me. Certainly something for me to consider though.
  • edited December 2010
    Nice sky Dave, would like to see more of this coming through.

Why check turn with set of threes??? and then over bet pot on the river :s

KEEP these vids coming hopefully with real money in the future
  • edited December 2010
    Nice sky Dave , would like to see more of this coming through. Why check turn with set of threes??? and then over bet pot on the river :s.  KEEP these vids coming hopefully with real money in the future
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    ill be doing some more soon - alot on my page

I will be doing a little bit on cash HU next - just trying to learn the ropes of it first. All my other ones been S&G
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Heads-up video: Sky Dave vs The Don 90 : ill be doing some more soon - alot on my page   I will be doing a little bit on cash HU next - just trying to learn the ropes of it first. All my other ones been S&G
    Posted by The_Don90
    Nice M8 will be watching, what software ur using and how mutch does it cost id love to get involved
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Heads-up video: Sky Dave vs The Don 90 : Nice M8 will be watching, what software ur using and how mutch does it cost id love to get involved
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    the one im using is camtastia studio - free trail for 30 days im looking for free software for when that expires.
  • edited December 2010
    nice vid Dave (if you like watching a couple of fish splashing about) joking

on the K 10 your 1st 3bet, i like to make my 1st one pretty light as you normally get a bit of respect for it, also i would fold K 10 to a 4 bet but it plays pretty well against his folding range, so I'm 3 betting the top of my range and hands that I'm happy to fold but can flop well if called like K 4 suited and mid connectors, if hes calling a lot of my 3 bets then i will lower my value range, what do you think?
  • edited December 2010
    nice vid Dave (if you like watching a couple of fish splashing about) joking on the K 10 your 1st 3bet, i like to make my 1st one pretty light as you normally get a bit of respect for it, also i would fold K 10 to a 4 bet but it plays pretty well against his folding range, so I'm 3 betting the top of my range and hands that I'm happy to fold but can flop well if called like K 4 suited and mid connectors, if hes calling a lot of my 3 bets then i will lower my value range, what do you think?
    Posted by N1CK
    Hi Nick,

Some pretty sound reasoning in there. To be honest, I am one of those players who will make my first 3 bet (and 4/5 bets) based far more on the game dynamic than the actual cards. Yes, K-T doesn't match up as well vs his 4 bet range and I would certainly prefer to be calling there with the likes of K-4s or 6-7s, but I will be making my first 3 bets more likely when I feel a player is being out of line and just needs a good slap back into place :)

Your points are completely right though - much better to be defending 4bets with hands less likely to be crushed and with some more comfortable ways of flopping monster. That or be sure to be 3 betting with those hands that you feel fine binning to a 4-bet, although I'd always be doing this very rarely in comparison.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Heads-up video: Sky Dave vs The Don 90 : Hi Nick, Some pretty sound reasoning in there. To be honest, I am one of those players who will make my first 3 bet (and 4/5 bets) based far more on the game dynamic than the actual cards. Yes, K-T doesn't match up as well vs his 4 bet range and I would certainly prefer to be calling there with the likes of K-4s or 6-7s, but I will be making my first 3 bets more likely when I feel a player is being out of line and just needs a good slap back into place :) Your points are completely right though - much better to be defending 4bets with hands less likely to be crushed and with some more comfortable ways of flopping monster. That or be sure to be 3 betting with those hands that you feel fine binning to a 4-bet, although I'd always be doing this very rarely in comparison.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    what i ment is i would call his opens with kT ( kt is to good to bluff with), 3 betting light with kx suited and connectors that im happy to fold to 4 bets, i agree about adjusting to him opening a lot of sbs but do it with top of range or air with some potential if called,
  • edited December 2010
    these Hu sngs are a great way to improve your general poker game, you see more flops and have to make more decisions pre/post flop, good for improving hand reading, playing oop, postflop play etc  etc etc

its about how your opponent plays and adjusting your game so you can play more effectively against him, chances are its the first time you have played him so you need a default game strategy that you can use until you work him out which you can adjust to his strengths and weaknesses

so what hands should you be opening and calling opens with?

im not going to write down every hand but i will put it as a percentage and if you go to pokerstove, hit the preflop hand chart and you can type it in on move the bar to the relevant %, (you may have to manually tweak these sometimes but its generally pretty good)

ok in the early stages with 30 big blinds +

as default i open the top 63% to x3 open, you can adjust this to calling frequencies and stack sizes (AS STACKS GET SMALLER YOU CAN OPEN SMALLER)

Defending Vs different open raise size and frequencies

MINRAISE: 46% (you can tighten this up Vs tighter or better players)

X3 RAISE;  27% (i would suggest you tighten this up if your opponent is good or its hard to get to showdown)

X4 RAISE:  23% (take out the weak aces and add all pocket pairs on pokerstove)

if anyone is interested i can continue this with 3 betting, limping, mid stacks (15-25 BBs), player types, post flop etc etc
  • edited December 2010
    these Hu sngs are a great way to improve your general poker game, you see more flops and have to make more decisions pre/post flop, good for improving hand reading, playing oop, postflop play etc  etc etc its about how your opponent plays and adjusting your game so you can play more effectively against him, chances are its the first time you have played him so you need a default game strategy that you can use until you work him out which you can adjust to his strengths and weaknesses so what hands should you be opening and calling opens with? im not going to write down every hand but i will put it as a percentage and if you go to pokerstove, hit the preflop hand chart and you can type it in on move the bar to the relevant %, (you may have to manually tweak these sometimes but its generally pretty good) ok in the early stages with 30 big blinds + as default i open the top 63% to x3 open, you can adjust this to calling frequencies and stack sizes (AS STACKS GET SMALLER YOU CAN OPEN SMALLER) Defending Vs different open raise size and frequencies MINRAISE: 46% (you can tighten this up Vs tighter or better players) X3 RAISE;  27% (i would suggest you tighten this up if your opponent is good or its hard to get to showdown) X4 RAISE:  23% (take out the weak aces and add all pocket pairs on pokerstove) if anyone is interested i can continue this with 3 betting, limping, mid stacks (15-25 BBs), player types, post flop etc etc
    Posted by N1CK
    Superb post, Nick and one I think warrants an entry to the Santa Sack freeroll on 28th December. Thanks for taking the time to explain some of this stuff to the Community!

(Mind you, if you do make it heads-up you're obviously expected to win now! :P)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Heads-up video: Sky Dave vs The Don 90 : Superb post, Nick and one I think warrants an entry to the Santa Sack freeroll on 28th December. Thanks for taking the time to explain some of this stuff to the Community! (Mind you, if you do make it heads-up you're obviously expected to win now! :P)
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    thanks very much, il try remember to play

(edit) just looked at the top prizes and il definitely try to remember to play!!