You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The art of C-Betting...

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
1 i would check for pot control
2 very wet board in 3 way pot so ok to check
3 pretty dry board and prolly have the best hand so c-bet ok

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Below there are three different scenario where i have raised it up pre-flop. 
    My question is do you C-Bet!!!

1st Hand
    SBSmall blind £0.05£0.05£20.28BBBig blind £0.10£0.15£19.11Sat OutSit out     Your hole cardsKQ   UTGFold    WHOAMI196Raise £0.40£0.55£10.02BUTTONCall £0.40£0.95£5.86SBFold    BBCall £0.30£1.25£18.81Flop  J9K   BBCheck    WHOAMI196?????    BUTTON 

Hand 2
    SBSmall blind £0.10£0.10£10.57BBBig blind £0.20£0.30£7.94 Your hole cardsAJ   UTGFold    UTG + 1Call £0.20£0.50£21.86WHOAMI196Raise £1.00£1.50£19.65BUTTONFold    SBFold    BBCall £0.80£2.30£7.14UTG + 1Call £0.80£3.10£21.06Flop  8105   BBCheck    UTG + 1Check    WHOAMI196????

Hand 3
    WHOAMI196Small blind £0.05£0.05£25.61BBBig blind £0.10£0.15£37.81Sat OutSit out     Your hole cardsQA   UTGFold <td class="hhamt" style="padding-top:7px;padding-right:5px;padding-bottom:7px;padding-left:5px;color:#666666;vertical-align:middle;font-family:verdana;font-weight:normal;text-align:right !important;font-siz
  • edited December 2010
    Hand 1 - For me it's very oppo dependent. Against some I would c-bet ~80p/90p as it gives me the chance to take it down there & then but like I said, it is very oppo dependent.

Hand 2 - This is probably where I get myself in trouble sometimes as I'm guilty of c-betting in these situations too often (something I'm trying to iron out). I think a check behind here is probably the best option most times.

Hand 3 - I'm betting ~80p/90p here as most of the time I think you've still got the best hand plus if you did have a pair in your hand then you'll pretty much always c-bet here I guess (I know I am). By the looks of it you did bet on the flop in this hand seeing as you've left the total pot amount in!.

I'll be interested to see the replies to this thread cos c-betting is probably a weak point in my game. I either tend to do it too much or not often enough!
  • edited December 2010
    hand 1 is quite interesting on whether to cbet or not imo i would and thats mainly because we are OOP vs 1 person if it were us on the button i would check back but i cbet here to try and win position as chek calling streets with marginal hands sucks donkey balls. also we still obv get called by alot worse hands they just have alot of equity vs us.  bet/folding btw.

hand 2 i check
    hand 3 cbet2/3rds pot and i would keep firing  trying to get them to fold 33-88 & weak 9x hands by the river
  • edited December 2010
    Above is the most common situations you will come across while playing a 6 max ring game regardless of stakes.

Some great replies above too, this is part of my game i want to improve on like you SILENT BOB as you stated.

The point of this was not what the outcome but askin the question is it the correct/profitable play to  make, but this what happened any ways and my thoughts.

1. this is a very draw heavy board, fortunately i have a gut shot with top pair unfortunately on a wet flop in a 3 way pot not good really since my aim is to stack my opponent, and i ant gonna do that on this flop. i elect to check, the pot gets raised then re raised, all the info that i needed so i quickly folded.

2. again a draw heavy flop not as WET as above scenario, here i have two overs still not too crazy to hit my j though. its a 3 way pot again but im in position, if i went out to potentially win the hand i would normally bet but wasnt too ast so i check effectively giving up on the hand, player leads out turn and i fold.

3. this is the easiest flop to deal with in which to c-bet effectively, the only time id check here if im sure my opponent is likely to have a pair since he/she is not going to fold on this flop!! In that situation id bet the turn if a card appears that i can represent. i do infact C-bet and take the pot down.

il try get some different more difficult scenarios next time like being re-raised on the flop after i have put a c-bet in for now chow

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: The art of C-Betting...:
    Above is the most common situations you will come across while playing a 6 max ring game regardless of stakes. Some great replies above too, this is part of my game i want to improve on like you SILENT BOB as you stated. The point of this was not what the outcome but askin the question is it the correct/profitable play to  make, but this what happened any ways and my thoughts. 1. this is a very draw heavy board, fortunately i have a gut shot with top pair unfortunately on a wet flop in a 3 way pot not good really since my aim is to stack my opponent, and i ant gonna do that on this flop. i elect to check, the pot gets raised then re raised, all the info that i needed so i quickly folded. 2. again a draw heavy flop not as draw heavy as above scenario, here i have two overs still not too crazy to hit my j though. its a 3 way pot again but im in position, if i went out to potentially win the hand i would normally bet but wasnt too ast so i check effectively giving up on the hand, player leads out turn and i fold. 3. this is the easiest flop to deal with in which to c-bet effectively, the only time id check here if im sure my opponent is likely to have a pair since he/she is not going to fold on this flop!! In that situation id bet the turn if a card appears that i can represent. i do infact C-bet and take the pot down. il try get some different more difficult scenarios next time like being re-raised on the flop after i have put a c-bet in for now chow
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    you have two straight draws  and a flush i think its as heavy as it gets.   just being picky
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: The art of C-Betting...:
    In Response to Re: The art of C-Betting... : you have two straight draws  and a flush i think its as heavy as it gets.   just being picky
    Posted by N1CK
    the reason the first hand is Wetter than the second hand is that there are more drawing hands pre flop would have now have a made hand on the flop at best or now receiving a flush draw with a non suited hand thanks to the three diamonds out there