You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Early Cash HU hand - Flop top pair decent kicker - Turn flush draw - played badly - opinions on wher

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
OK this is early in a HU game (also please note im at NL10 here simply because i couldnt get a game at NL4 HU). Anyways i have previous old notes on opponent (about 5 months old) that stated they where a station and likley to see every flop - only betting after it when they had it. Now as this is second hand and my notes being a little older than id have likled i decided to be a little more casious than usually early on - while also pushing to see how accurate these notes where so i could update them (later they did prove to be spot on)

Anyways the raise on the flop here catches me a little of guard - i have no idea how to value my top pair here. Therefore i just flat thinking just get to showdown (mistake perhaps) Anyways the turn is the worst bit of a hand ive ever played since i busted out of a tournament in a 6 way flop with J high. Really on the turn i know i played this so bad - the 10 of diamonds is a great card for my holding i think - purley because i add the flush draw.

Anyways the river by this point id battered this hand completley in my opinion. Anyways i may have just answered my own question - however how can i improve on this hand in future?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
The_Don90 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £9.75
xxBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.07
  Your hole cards
  • J

The_Don90 Raise  £0.25 £0.40 £9.50
xxCall  £0.20 £0.60 £9.87
Flop

xxCheck     
The_Don90 Bet  £0.45 £1.05 £9.05
xxRaise  £0.90 £1.95 £8.97
The_Don90 Call  £0.45 £2.40 £8.60
Turn

xxBet  £0.50 £2.90 £8.47
The_Don90 Call  £0.50 £3.40 £8.10
River

xxBet  £0.60 £4.00 £7.87
The_Don90 Call  £0.60 £4.60 £7.50
xxShow

The_Don90 Show
  • J

The_Don90 Win Two Pairs, 8s and 4s £4.25  £11.75

Comments

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Early Cash HU hand - Flop top pair decent kicker - Turn flush draw - played badly - opinions on where to improve:
    OK this is early in a HU game (also please note im at NL10 here simply because i couldnt get a game at NL4 HU). Anyways i have previous old notes on opponent (about 5 months old) that stated they where a station and likley to see every flop - only betting after it when they had it. Now as this is second hand and my notes being a little older than id have likled i decided to be a little more casious than usually early on - while also pushing to see how accurate these notes where so i could update them (later they did prove to be spot on) Anyways the raise on the flop here catches me a little of guard - i have no idea how to value my top pair here. Therefore i just flat thinking just get to showdown (mistake perhaps) Anyways the turn is the worst bit of a hand ive ever played since i busted out of a tournament in a 6 way flop with J high. Really on the turn i know i played this so bad - the 10 of diamonds is a great card for my holding i think - purley because i add the flush draw. Anyways the river by this point id battered this hand completley in my opinion. Anyways i may have just answered my own question - however how can i improve on this hand in future? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance The_Don90 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £9.75 xx Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £10.07   Your hole cards 8 J       The_Don90 Raise   £0.25 £0.40 £9.50 xx Call   £0.20 £0.60 £9.87 Flop     4 3 8       xx Check         The_Don90 Bet   £0.45 £1.05 £9.05 xx Raise   £0.90 £1.95 £8.97 The_Don90 Call   £0.45 £2.40 £8.60 Turn     10       xx Bet   £0.50 £2.90 £8.47 The_Don90 Call   £0.50 £3.40 £8.10 River     4       xx Bet   £0.60 £4.00 £7.87 The_Don90 Call   £0.60 £4.60 £7.50 xx Show 8 7       The_Don90 Show 8 J       The_Don90 Win Two Pairs, 8s and 4s £4.25   £11.75
    Posted by The_Don90
    only thing i would have done diffrent is pot on the turn you have flush draw and second pair insurance, if he is the calling station you think he is he calls or folds, if he calls chances are the hand checks down. only problem is if he is a more aggressive player and raises your bet do you call?

p.s this player would not have raised you at pot, his bet sizing shows this, he played the hand as cagey as you.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Early Cash HU hand - Flop top pair decent kicker - Turn flush draw - played badly - opinions on where to improve:
    OK this is early in a HU game (also please note im at NL10 here simply because i couldnt get a game at NL4 HU). Anyways i have previous old notes on opponent (about 5 months old) that stated they where a station and likley to see every flop - only betting after it when they had it. Now as this is second hand and my notes being a little older than id have likled i decided to be a little more casious than usually early on - while also pushing to see how accurate these notes where so i could update them (later they did prove to be spot on) Anyways the raise on the flop here catches me a little of guard - i have no idea how to value my top pair here. Therefore i just flat thinking just get to showdown (mistake perhaps) Anyways the turn is the worst bit of a hand ive ever played since i busted out of a tournament in a 6 way flop with J high. Really on the turn i know i played this so bad - the 10 of diamonds is a great card for my holding i think - purley because i add the flush draw. Anyways the river by this point id battered this hand completley in my opinion. Anyways i may have just answered my own question - however how can i improve on this hand in future? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance The_Don90 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £9.75 xx Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £10.07   Your hole cards 8 J       The_Don90 Raise   £0.25 £0.40 £9.50 xx Call   £0.20 £0.60 £9.87 Flop     4 3 8       xx Check         The_Don90 Bet   £0.45 £1.05 £9.05 xx Raise   £0.90 £1.95 £8.97 The_Don90 Call   £0.45 £2.40 £8.60 Turn     10       xx Bet   £0.50 £2.90 £8.47 The_Don90 Call   £0.50 £3.40 £8.10 River     4       xx Bet   £0.60 £4.00 £7.87 The_Don90 Call   £0.60 £4.60 £7.50 xx Show 8 7       The_Don90 Show 8 J       The_Don90 Win Two Pairs, 8s and 4s £4.25   £11.75
    Posted by The_Don90
    Haha!

Good excuse!
  • edited December 2010
    you aint got a clue what hes doing so i think you played it the best you could, when he chk raises the flop hes got some kind of hand, iv been playing these lower limit sngs and its pretty common that its top pair or a draw, his turn bet looks weak coz they see an overcard and panic or they try and buy a cheap card for their draw, i would raise the turn for value plus you pick up more equity with the fd, when he bets weak on river im 100% he has an 8 so its a thin value raise from me
  • edited December 2010
    when he bets so small on the turn im pretty sure we have the best hand. you could do something funky and minraise the river or just raise relaly small to get his worse pairs to sigh call
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Early Cash HU hand - Flop top pair decent kicker - Turn flush draw - played badly - opinions on where to improve:
    when he bets so small on the turn im pretty sure we have the best hand. you could do something funky and minraise the river or just raise relaly small to get his worse pairs to sigh call
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    im pretty sure this player will pay off £2/2.50 they find it pretty hard to fold any pair on the river
  • edited December 2010
    i would raise the flop in my eyes this is where you can get the cheapest info! His min re raise is a stations raise of trying to get rid of continuation betters for cheap. I wouldnt recommend raising the turn the way you had played it as you have no info on what type of hand he could have now. And never value bet the river after the way u played that hand you cannot be  sure he hasnt sat in with the 4 or hit the ten as you havent asked the question. You should of hid the result here you would of got better insight into the hand mate gl at tables!
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Early Cash HU hand - Flop top pair decent kicker - Turn flush draw - played badly - opinions on where to improve:
    i would raise the flop in my eyes this is where you can get the cheapest info! His min re raise is a stations raise of trying to get rid of continuation betters for cheap. I wouldnt recommend raising the turn the way you had played it as you have no info on what type of hand he could have now. And never value bet the river after the way u played that hand you cannot be  sure he hasnt sat in with the 4 or hit the ten as you havent asked the question. You should of hid the result here you would of got better insight into the hand mate gl at tables!
    Posted by sharkcj

yes i totally agree with you.......he should of hid the result lol
  • edited December 2010
    ty guys - sorry because i was looking at the overall hand i didnt think the resul mattered - sorry.

Thi was just a hand i felt really disappointed at - in the end i did win this match

I just looked back on a couple of hands i was displeased with - some obviously i had to play badly because of the nature of the any two of my opponent when the board is in a odd range of ive hit sideways.