You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How to start a great discussion

edited May 2009 in The Shed
Thank you for starting new discussions and asking questions. The more you contribute, the better this forum becomes.

Here are a few tips to help you create great discussions:

* **Make the discussion title or question as descriptive as possible.** A good discussion title is a short preview of your post and is what gets people to click and read. A well written title is also going to help search engines better index your post which will bring more people into the discussion. For example, instead of ‘Won’t Connect’, try ‘Help, I’m having problems getting my Acme modem into bridge mode.’
* **Proof read.** Spelling mistakes, typos, and bad grammar will distract readers from the point you’re trying to make. Vanilla automatically saves drafts as you type. If you’re writing a long post, save it as a draft and come back to it after a few minutes or as long as it takes your brain to forget what you had written.
* **Use minimal formatting.** Overly formatted posts can also distract from the message and it encourages others to do likewise and you end up with a hard to read thread.
* **Put your post in the right category.** The right category can be the one that has a relevant category name or it can be a category where this kind of post is often made.
* **Use tags.** Tags are helpful for others to find keyword related posts. It also helps the site admins get a sense for what topics are popular.
* **If you want responses, ask for them.** In marketing this is called a ‘call to action’. If you want others to comment, you can encourage them by asking them to do so. If your post is just an FYI then don’t.
* **Go easy on the insider jargon.** Inside jokes and inside references can be fun and make the community unique but too much of it can turn off new members.
* **Add an image.** Images add visual interest and make your post look great when shared to social networks. You can embed an image using the button bar or you can upload one from your desktop or phone.
* **Mention others.** Credit other members if you are building off their previous comments or if you want to draw them into the discussion. Put the @ before a username to mention someone.
* **Take ownership.** Most important of all, take ownership of the discussions that you have created. Respond to comments promptly and thoughtfully. Thank others for commenting on your discussion and help with moderation if things get heated.

Thanks for posting! Have fun!

Comments

• edited May 2009
    I really can't see Newcastle getting out of it. Boro are down (& the mighty Hammers will put the final nail in on Sunday) & what with Manyoo likely to rest a lot of their bigger players I can see Hull getting a draw. Sunderland will lose to Chelski but I can't see Newcastle getting more than a point at Villa Park.
  • edited May 2009

I think Middlesbrough have a lot to do, they need to beat West Ham away, they could do that, they need Manchester United reserves to beat Hull, they need the goal difference swing to be 5 or more and they need Newcastle to lose against Aston Villa. --- Newcastle need a result against Aston Villa, Villa have already qualified for the Europa League so may not be 100% motivated for the game. A draw would be enough as long as Man Utd beat Hull. --- Hull will need to match Newcastle's result to secure safety. --- Sunderland need either Aston Villa or Man United to take something from Newcastle or Hull, or they will have to beat Chelsea, a draw wouldn't be good enough.

My prediction is Boro to go down and........................................ Hull. I've got a feeling going by recent results, Newcastle will get something from Villa and even though Man U may be playing their reserves, they are still Man United reserves, they wouldn't be there if they weren't any good and they'll be wanting to show Sir Alex they are good enough for the first team next season.

• edited May 2009
    2 good posts there, and here's my two pennorth to go with those.

Newcastle to go down. They need a reality check, and IMHO will learn absolutely nothing for the reasons they are in this mess unless they do go down. This is a badly run business, and needs putting in it's place

Villa will play to give their fans, and departing retired captain Laursen a decent send off, so it may not matter a jot what happens elsewhere....

Think all the teams in trouble will lose, but Hull have a chance against Man Utd, the others don't have a hope.

• edited May 2009
    In Response to Re: EPL relegation... have your vote here!:
    I think Middlesbrough have a lot to do, they need to beat West Ham away, they could do that, they need Manchester United reserves to beat Hull, they need the goal difference swing to be 5 or more and they need Newcastle to lose against Aston Villa. --- Newcastle need a result against Aston Villa, Villa have already qualified for the Europa League so may not be 100% motivated for the game. A draw would be enough as long as Man Utd beat Hull. --- Hull will need to match Newcastle's result to secure safety. --- Sunderland need either Aston Villa or Man United to take something from Newcastle or Hull, or they will have to beat Chelsea, a draw wouldn't be good enough. My prediction is Boro to go down and........................................ Hull. I've got a feeling going by recent results, Newcastle will get something from Villa and even though Man U may be playing their reserves, they are still Man United reserves, they wouldn't be there if they weren't any good and they'll be wanting to show Sir Alex they are good enough for the first team next season.
    Posted by Kevilfish
    great post Kevilfish... i hope your right about Newcastle!
  • edited May 2009
    Shame about Newcastle going but in fairness they never really looked like they were going to do much today. Gotta say, at the moment I'm not convinced they'll bounce straight back either unless there's major changes over the summer. Having said that, the whole aura of the place should mean that they can attract some quality Championship players. The down side (as we found out a few years ago) is that for a lot of teams in that division Newcastle will be their glamour game of the season so will stick everyone behind the ball to try & ground out a point.

Commiserations also to Boro & West Brom. At best I think Boro will probably get a play off place next year but West Brom will almost certainly be there or thereabouts.