You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a check?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
the7kop09 Small blind  10.00 10.00 2395.00
eddie2 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

betanun Fold     
HartshorN Raise  80.00 110.00 1910.00
amyjacksam Call  80.00 190.00 1465.00
rod666 Call  80.00 270.00 1710.00
the7kop09 Fold     
eddie2 Fold     
Flop

• K

HartshorN Bet  135.00 405.00 1775.00
amyjacksam Fold     
rod666 Call  135.00 540.00 1575.00
Turn

• K

HartshorN Bet  270.00 810.00 1505.00
rod666 Fold     
HartshorN Muck     
HartshorN Win  540.00  2045.00
HartshorN Return  270.00 0.00 2315.00

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Should i of checked the turn and showed weakness? Feel like i didnt get enough out of the hand.
  • edited December 2010
    checking the turn is fine when you have the board crushed to try to get 2nd street of value on the end
  • edited December 2010
    Got to check the turn here.  Now's a perfect time to under-represent your hand as a pair between the Kings and Nines or AQ/AJ who C-Bet the flop.  You want to look scared of the Kings and look for value from other pocket pairs or people wanting to take you off of your C-bet.

This is one of the few times being OOP is to your advantage, the villain may bet the turn to a check (which you should flat IMO) or they may call off a decent V-Bet on the river.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this a check?:
    Got to check the turn here.  Now's a perfect time to under-represent your hand as a pair between the Kings and Nines or AQ/AJ who C-Bet the flop.  You want to look scared of the Kings and look for value from other pocket pairs or people wanting to take you off of your C-bet. This is one of the few times being OOP is to your advantage, the villain may bet the turn to a check (which you should flat IMO) or they may call off a decent V-Bet on the river.
    Posted by TommyD
    would you lead that flop with 10s-qq?
  • edited December 2010
    Yeh i agree tommy.

At the time i thought i he's calling my 135 bet, then the king isnt really damaging him tbh as he could have middle pair or a draw here, so decided to fire out again to try get some value.
  • edited December 2010
    some players are more likely to get scared when big cards pair AA kk rather than smaller cards its psychological lol
  • edited December 2010
    id keep on betting
  • edited December 2010
    id keep on betting
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    obviously it player dependant but don't you think you get more chance of getting two streets if you check the turn
    or do you think it evens out the times you get all 3?
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this a check? : would you lead that flop with 10s-qq?
    Posted by N1CK
    If I'm the preflop raiser yes, on a number of times I will lead the flop, as I would with a set, 2 pair, air, draw etc.  If I'm continuing with say tens here I'm just looking to close out the hand now (it's early days in the MTT and the range of both callers is wide, just happy to take it down before any more cards).  I would also check here a number of times with the same holdings.  But the point of the post was you are showing a complete drop off of strength from flop to turn to encourage the villain to think either they are good or they can take us off the hand.  As soon as we get a call on the flop we know they have an interest in the hand and it's time to try and encourage that interest.