You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Overly Tight?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
The hand below was in a deep stack tournament last night. The tables were 10 handed and I was third to act on this hand. I'm wondering if over time this is too tight a fold and if not whether I should be raising to 3x, 4x?? I was still around the 5000 starting stack when this happened.

As it turned out the flop came down with an A J and the turn was another A so it would have been a house.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
daggers747 Small blind   40.00 40.00 5170.00
jackda Big blind   80.00 120.00 4715.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

jubalcade Fold     
chrisg6912 Fold     
AndyMac55 Fold     
wenelinho Fold     
bazza999 Call   80.00 200.00 8060.00
snookergod Call   80.00 280.00 1360.00
taylos_12 Fold     
Ukjoe Fold     
daggers747 Fold     
jackda Check     
Andy

Comments

• edited December 2010
    early pos, not a bad fold esp 10 handed. if someone raises 4/5 x what you gonna do?late pos different matter.
  • edited December 2010

All 3 options are ok here I reckon.

Personally I would raise it.
    My 2nd preference would be to fold it. 
    But I don't think limping is that bad here either when we're deep stacked, although it's always gonna be frowned upon, what's the worst that can happen? It goes raise - reraise behind and you've burnt a big blind. So what? You've got loads of em :P

So whatever you chose to do here, can never really be wrong! lol. Unless u open for something like 10+ big blinds, but that wud just be silly :)
  • edited December 2010
    It's on the tight side but with 7 to act behind you and the blinds not worth much I'm fine with the fold.
  • edited December 2010
    Yep, too tight, I'd be raising 3x or 2.5x here and c-betting most flops, I'd also be prepared to lay it down if an opponent plays back hard. This might be a deep stack tournament, but that doesn't mean you have to sit there all day waiting for AA or KK, your deep stack gives you the opportunity to play poker with strong hole cards like AJs.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Overly Tight?:
    All 3 options are ok here I reckon. Personally I would raise it. My 2nd preference would be to fold it.  But I don't think limping is that bad here either when we're deep stacked, although it's always gonna be frowned upon, what's the worst that can happen? It goes raise - reraise behind and you've burnt a big blind. So what? You've got loads of em :P So whatever you chose to do here, can never really be wrong! lol. Unless u open for something like 10+ big blinds, but that wud just be silly :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i remember 10 handed tables, i agree with Dohhh here all 3 options are fine here, sometimes i raise with the intention of calling a 3bet as its nice and deep and sometimes i limp and call a raise, its a nice hand to see a flop with.
  • edited December 2010
    A fold is fine in early/mid position but a little on the tight side.

I don't like limping here because imo it achieves nothing. Its a standard raise, or a fold for me.

• edited December 2010
    A fold is fine in early/mid position but a little on the tight side. I don't like limping here because imo it achieves nothing. Its a standard raise, or a fold for me.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    ?????? So does folding ?????????

It will most likely achieve a multi way pot, which aint a bad achievement with AJ sooooooooted in early position - as it gives us opportunity to achieve something monumental :)

(esp against bad players/ and assuming the hero doesn't believe he has the nuts when the board comes 9,T,J)

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Overly Tight? : ?????? So does folding ????????? It will most likely achieve a multi way pot, which aint a bad achievement with AJ sooooooooted in early position - as it gives us opportunity to achieve something monumental :)  (esp against bad players/ and assuming the hero doesn't believe he has the nuts when the board comes 9,T,J)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Folding preserves 60 chips when you are oop and dont have the betting lead. At least if you raise and get 1 or 2 callers and miss the flop you can try to bet them off and win the pot.

Ok you can limp and hope to see a cheap flop and hit a monster but you are relying on hitting the cards. You are also relying on the cut off/button not raising pre to punish the limpers.

I disagree with Dohhhhhhh:)
  • edited December 2010
    Best options

1 RAISE
    2 LIMP
    3 FOLD
  • edited December 2010
    I don't mind a limp with nut making hands when deep

Wouldn't limp with AJhh tho.  Def a raise.  Any AXss tho and a limp is fine on a full ring table.

• edited December 2010
    I don't mind a limp with nut making hands when deep Wouldn't limp with AJhh tho.  Def a raise.  Any AXss tho and a limp is fine on a full ring table.
    Posted by scotty77
    I agree with Scotty:), although i am trying to rid limping from my game entirely, i must admit that i do occasionally limp with raggy suited aces/ small pps, in level 1/2 of 10 seat sngs.
  • edited December 2010
    I'd be raising 2.5x knowing that i can find a fold to a 3bet.

Can't be folding hands like that tbh when a raise would probably of took it down or got called by a hand your doinating.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Overly Tight? : I agree with Scotty:), although i am trying to rid limping from my game entirely, i must admit that i do occasionally limp with raggy suited aces/ small pps, in level 1/2 of 10 seat sngs.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    10 seat is the key thing here.

raising with stuff like 22/33/A4s UTG in 6max is totally standard as you'll encounter far less opponents and flop play is easier.

raising with those hands in FR and getting 7 callers is a nightmare.
  • edited December 2010

Coming in for a raise allows you to be 3 bet, and sometimes have to fold or play a bigger pot out of position.

Position becomes less important when you're playing weaker players who don't know how to use it. Thats 95% of tourny players on sky, you can get away with more than you should. 

If someone makes it 4x behind, just call. Limp calling for 4 bigs is better then opening for 4 bigs and folding to a 3 bet.

I also notice on sky that loads of players sp/az out when they have the betting lead.....

If I have the lead in the pot, they call with all draws, any pair, often any gut shot/back door draw etc, but they are only putting in what I ask them to (what I bet). ...............

............When they have the betting lead, they do some very silly things, at very silly times. Playing out of position/Pot control is alot easier than it should be.

• edited December 2010
    raise to 200 chips nearly every time. yay royal frush draw yay
  • edited December 2010
    I like to limp with semi-big hands early in tournaments- strong connectors, mid strength pairs and suited aces. I mean, you don't want to go nuts with AJs in a 10 handed deepy, so you certainly wouldn't want to get it all in pre. Personally, I'd want to see a flop as cheaply as possible, so if it goes raise/reraise, I muck- if it goes single raise, I call. But I don't mind limping at all really, for the exact same reason as dohhhh- limp calling a raise is fine, calling a reraise and investing like 700 or so chips on AJs preflop... not for me.

I'm never, ever open folding though.
  • edited December 2010
    i don't like limping or folding here...
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks folks. i was close to sticking in a 3x raise but the early position put me off. Some really good points made above to I'll take that on board for next time.

Thanks all.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Overly Tight? : i remember 10 handed tables, i agree with Dohhh here all 3 options are fine here, sometimes i raise with the intention of calling a 3bet as its nice and deep and sometimes i limp and call a raise, its a nice hand to see a flop with.
    Posted by N1CK
    Haha yet more b^^^^^^t from you.............................yawn
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Overly Tight? : Haha yet more b^^^^^^t from you.............................yawn
    Posted by debdobs_67
    i can see we are going to have some fun xx
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Overly Tight? : Haha yet more b^^^^^^t from you.............................yawn
    Posted by debdobs_67
    This and several other posts recently made by you break several forum rules including trolling, and it must stop now.

Thanks.