You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What is a good ROI on DYM tournaments

edited December 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi Guys,

I have played over 1200 DYM tournaments and I am currently in profit to the tune of about £600 (usually play the £5 games. My ROI is 9% and I would estimate I win about 70% of the games I play. So is this classes as, average, good or very good?

Should I try a different form of Poker in order to get a better ROI? I have tried cash but seem to break even at best, I have tried tournaments and have had quite a bit of success ut I have heard the variance in touenaments make it not very profitable.

Thoughts??

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Ive heard 5% is a good ROI on DYMs.  Thats the main reason I dont play them.  I would find it soul destroying playing £5 DYMs knowing that earning 25p per game is considered to be crushing it.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to What is a good ROI on DYM tournaments:
    Hi Guys, I have played over 1200 DYM tournaments and I am currently in profit to the tune of about £600 (usually play the £5 games. My ROI is 9% and I would estimate I win about 70% of the games I play. So is this classes as, average, good or very good? Should I try a different form of Poker in order to get a better ROI? I have tried cash but seem to break even at best, I have tried tournaments and have had quite a bit of success ut I have heard the variance in touenaments make it not very profitable. Thoughts??
    Posted by cobbler78
    i reckon your ROI would be be bit higher prolly around 12/15% If your winning 70% over that sample
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What is a good ROI on DYM tournaments:
    Ive heard 5% is a good ROI on DYMs.  Thats the main reason I dont play them.  I would find it soul destroying playing £5 DYMs knowing that earning 25p per game is considered to be crushing it.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    this all depends on the volume of games you can play if you play hundreds a day its pretty good
  • edited December 2010
    HaHa, yeah I know what you mean, it is tricky, especially when Sky take 10% every time. I have worked out if they took 25p per £5 game rather than 50p, I would be up around £900 rather than £600, makes a huge difference.

Trouble is I play for fun as well as profit and my bankroll is only £80...I cash in everytime I hit £90, so playing tournaments I could easily go 10 or 15 games without cashing and that would leave my backroll with a huge hole in it....but then a tournament cash, a sbig one, might be more that £80....
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What is a good ROI on DYM tournaments : this all depends on the volume of games you can play if you play hundreds a day its pretty good
    Posted by N1CK
    Ws just talking roughly speaking, maybe its between 60% and 70%
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What is a good ROI on DYM tournaments : this all depends on the volume of games you can play if you play hundreds a day its pretty good
    Posted by N1CK
    I probably only play about 100 games a month, I usually cash in between £50 and £150 per month, depending on my luck in the tournaments, my ROI in them a few weeks ago was standing at 35% but I was advised this was not sustainable long term (this was after about 100 games)
  • edited December 2010
    The ONLY way you will make significant profit if you are good enough is to play CASH xxx
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What is a good ROI on DYM tournaments : I probably only play about 100 games a month, I usually cash in between £50 and £150 per month, depending on my luck in the tournaments, my ROI in them a few weeks ago was standing at 35% but I was advised this was not sustainable long term (this was after about 100 games)
    Posted by cobbler78
    yeah you need a big sample to get a true average, a good way to look at is think about the stock market or interest on your money, say your return on your investment was 5% pcm could you do better investing anywhere else?
  • edited December 2010
    The ONLY way you will make significant profit if you are good enough is to play CASH xxx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    skope nutter5932
  • edited December 2010
    I'd say anything over 10% is very good in DYMs, I don't think anybody could do much better than about 15% over a large enough sample.

DYMs offer you low risk and low reward, you could say they're the poker equivalent of National Savings Bonds, that's exactly what a lot of players are looking for so they're unfairly criticised IMO.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What is a good ROI on DYM tournaments : skope nutter5932
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    He is an exception as are a few others BUT the majority of good players play cash cos that is quite obviously where the best profit is ;o) xxx
  • edited December 2010

You're crushing the games. Think about moving up?

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What is a good ROI on DYM tournaments : skope nutter5932
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I just did, his profit is very impressive, but his average ROI (which is what we're talking about here) is 'only' 3%.
  • edited December 2010
    You're crushing the games. Think about moving up?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Really? I dont feel like im crushing it, and I sometimes lose 4 or 5 on the bounce, so using my £80 bankroll, losing 4 or 5 £11 games would criple me lol
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: What is a good ROI on DYM tournaments : Really? I dont feel like im crushing it, and I sometimes lose 4 or 5 on the bounce, so using my £80 bankroll, losing 4 or 5 £11 games would criple me lol
    Posted by cobbler78
    trust me you are crushing the games. get yourself a bankroll... 20BIs. and move up accordingly. good luck. 70% if pretty awesome in dyms.
  • edited December 2010
    my average roi in mtts in is 36% over 2500 games--- I play mostly 2 quid deep stacks, and a few 5 quid games--- so 80 quid is a large enough bank roll to start, and the profit is a lot better than any dym games---try it and see
  • edited December 2010
    u need more than 20 BI's for higher stake dym's, esp if ur multi tabling
  • edited December 2010
    I dont usually multi table DYMs, gets too tricky at the end with 4 left, what I could do is start another up after about 20 mins while I fold the first few hands in the new game.

Tikay told me that a ROI of over 15% for MTT's was impossibler tustain over a long period. Is this true?? My ROI is just under 50% from 149 games, is this not a big enough samples, as I guess a couple of big wins in 149 games will affect the % quite a lot
  • edited December 2010
    I dont usually multi table DYMs, gets too tricky at the end with 4 left, what I could do is start another up after about 20 mins while I fold the first few hands in the new game. Tikay told me that a ROI of over 15% for MTT's was impossibler tustain over a long period. Is this true?? My ROI is just under 50% from 149 games, is this not a big enough samples, as I guess a couple of big wins in 149 games will affect the % quite a lot
    Posted by cobbler78
    not impossible at all-- plenty of players have an average roi over 30% in mtts--- just pick the right stakes and field size for your ability
  • edited December 2010
    WISH i HADN'T STARTED THIS, ON AN 8 GAME LOSING STREAK NOW HAHAHA
  • edited December 2010
    70% win rate is breaking even and you are talking about the lower stakes which attract a different type of player.

Say play 1000 games at £5 means an investment of 5500 with a win rate of 70% your getting 7000 so a profit of £1500 which gives a roi of 27 % which is an excellent roi but you are playing 1000 games each of which takes upto 1/2 hour of your time. So a return of about £3 per hour.

Now the 9% roi that you mentioned earlier puts it around a 60% winrate with profits of about £500 which again goes back to the £1 per hour return.

Before venturing into the bigger stake roll yourself up and run a few tests of say upto 100 games to see if your still retaining your required winrate.

Or take the advice above and venture to where the real money is in the cash games. Running them side by side can be quite advantageous as can be runing cash with MTT's as it keeps theboredom at bay whilst your getting through the lower part of the game.