You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Strategy on how to be a SnG KING.......

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Im a huge fan of poker and anything to do with it but i seem to lack skills on the SnG circuit. Cash seems to be the only format of poker i play and would like to branch out and explore new things :) SnG doesn't excite me and i get impatient therefore i am hoping to be inspired by some top strategy here and be a SnG King!! 

This is quite a deep subject and there is a lot to talk about but these are some point i am looking for;

• How do you approach a SnG?
  • Are you playing for the win or just to cash?
  • What is your target win rate?
  • What is your set up how many tables or SnG per hour ect.

Some basic points in which to hopefully help me and other SnG King wannabes, go into depth or as basic as you like as i will be digesting and will be helpful for others.

I shall be awaiting the forums "Nit Picker" for his QC check... this post is getting late but cant sleep the S£$t thing is i have to wake up at SIX to go to work ugh.............anyway looking forward in hearing from you pps....

Comments

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Strategy on how to be a SnG KING.......:
    Im a huge fan of poker and anything to do with it but i seem to lack skills on the SnG circuit. Cash seems to be the only format of poker i play and would like to branch out and explore new things :) SnG doesn't  excite me and i get impatient therefore i am hoping to be inspired by some top strategy here and be a SnG King !!  This is quite a deep subject and there is a lot to talk about but these are some point i am looking for; How do you approach a SnG? Are you playing for the win or just to cash? What is your target win rate? What is your set up how many tables or SnG per hour ect. Some basic points in which to hopefully help me and other SnG King wannabes , go into depth or as basic as you like as i will be digesting and will be helpful for others . I shall be awaiting the  forums "Nit Picker" for his QC check ... this post is getting late but cant sleep the S£$t thing is i have to wake up at SIX to go to work ugh.............anyway looking forward in hearing from you pps....
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    SEEMS FINE TO ME
  • edited December 2010
    First things first, learn ICM (Independant Chip Modelling) until you understand it inside out.  After this, brush up on gap theory and then stretch the gap a bit for SnGs.

To answer the question about cashing or playing for the win, in my opinion it's both.  Your first aim to cash.  As soon as you are in the money you now risk going out in third in order to get first.  Never play for second.

Good luck with it!
  • edited December 2010
    DONT YOU PEOPLE SLEEP LOL

good start cheers tommy...keep up the good work NICK u....anyway off to flipin work ugh
  • edited December 2010
    I'm far away from being a king of SnG's however i thought i'd offer my sixth sense on your questions, as SnG's are my main priority;
    • How do you approach a SnG?

When starting an SnG i tend to miss out the first couple of levels unless i see AA KK, purely because you get alot of rubbish being played most of the time, even with a 4x raise... i start opening up as levels progress.

Are you playing for the win or just to cash?

Unless i get a double up within the first 4 levels i play to cash, otherwise it could bite you in the rear if your getting it all in pre after this, with bigger stacks likely to call you off. It is vital you keep a "winning" mentality though particulary when your on the cash bubble, sometimes i find keeping this mentality is my downfall.

• What is your target win rate?

I target to win them all obviously but as a realistic target i hope to reach 3/1, purely because anything else and the rake dmages your profit.

• What is your set up how many tables or SnG per hour ect.

I keep to 2 Sng's at the same time, making around 4 an hour.

As a person i notice on the tables i play i have nooooo idea why im telling you this whoam haha, however just giving an insight to a forum follower :) im now changing all of my points above :P

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Strategy on how to be a SnG KING.......:
    As a person i notice on the tables i play i have nooooo idea why im telling you this whoam haha, however just giving an insight to a forum follower :) im now changing all of my points above :P
    Posted by HartshorN

LOL Cheers hartshorn some solid advice and a great foundation to work from................ie i kno ur game now m8 u better watch out ;) LOL