You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Folding Aces?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
This hand is just over an hour into £5.75 Bounty Hunter. I am in good position but villians all in is basically for my tournament. Is this one of those situations where you can fold Aces? No real reads as just moved to table.

Interested to here peoples thoughts?

ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
RomeyRome Small blind  75.00 75.00 7785.00
sired Big blind  150.00 225.00 3170.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

lees180 Fold     
mattless Raise  600.00 825.00 6880.00
xxxCall  600.00 1425.00 5990.00
tayz1272 Fold     
RomeyRome Fold     
sired Fold     
Flop

• J
  • Q

mattless Bet  1068.75 2493.75 5811.25
xxx All-in  5990.00 8483.75
??????

Comments

• edited December 2010
    i struggle to fold aces at the best of times

in a £5 BH i struggle even more

discounting AK, QQ-TT, i think we have massive equity in this spot
    even if we include these hands, we are still in gd shape

in addition we also have him covered to can also take a bounty
  • edited December 2010
    I agree with Shanxta, even if we're beat we have outs so its a call for me/
  • edited December 2010
    This is a tough spot. He could well turn over K9 or 89 for a made straight and we're drawing to a split. AK is possible too, but much less likely seeing as we have 2 of the aces and AK would often be 3-bet shoved pre-flop. Two pair type hands are also a big part of his range; TJ TQ & JQ, a set of Ts can't be ruled out, sets of Js and Qs less likely. Saying that you often see maniacs shoving in these tournaments with just top pair or worse. All things considered this is such a scary flop for aces that I might be inclined to fold here, you will still have 39BB to play with and are most likely still above the average stack (you've actually been playing between 40 and 50 minutes if it's the usual structure with 10 minutes levels), though I don't think calling is particularly bad either for the reasons given by others.
  • edited December 2010
    If I had 12000 chips behind its a defo call, but the fact it is essentially for my tournament I think makes it a more difficult decision.
  • edited December 2010
    wouldn't be surprised at all to see him turn over a draw with a pair (KQ/KJ/K10) or random pairs (AQ/AJ/A10) etc. No way am I ever folding here, even if he has got 2 pair (which is fairly likely) you've got outs for your set and a stronger 2 pair, and if he really does have the made straight (not very likely) you've got outs to split and hit a runner runner house.

Scary board, you might be out, but in a £5bh their range is so enormous he could even just have ace high for the gutshot, lol.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't think a fold is that bad here. Wouldn't be surprised to see JT, QT kinda hands. It's pretty marginal. I probably call - but I play ten tourneys a night and just load up another one when I busto with Aces.

If the BI means a lot to you, you can probably find a better spot.
  • edited December 2010
    i would call and moan when the nine hits, my laptop wont let me fold Aces i need to upgrade
  • edited December 2010
    Whether it's a £5 or a £100, making money  is all about making correct poker decisions, buy in should not factor into it.
     For me its a fold, you're only beating, KK,AQ,KQ,KX and 9X. Sets and two pairs are protecting against the straight draw with the shove reraise as is K9,89. He also knows that it is very unlikely that you c bet with a made straight and can assume you have a made hand,like AQ,KK,AA and a shove here is going to put you to the test. Just fold and go onto the next hand, you have plenty of chips left to still play poker.
    Also your preflop raise is too big.If you had made it 450, your Cbet could be smaller and allow you to get away cheaper from this hand had he reraised shoved on the flop.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Folding Aces?:
    Whether it's a £5 or a £100, making money  is all about making correct poker decisions, buy in should not factor into it.  For me its a fold, you're only beating, KK,AQ,KQ,KX and 9X. Sets and two pairs are protecting against the straight draw with the shove reraise as is K9,89. He also knows that it is very unlikely that you c bet with a made straight and can assume you have a made hand,like AQ,KK,AA and a shove here is going to put you to the test. Just fold and go onto the next hand, you have plenty of chips left to still play poker. Also your preflop raise is too big.If you had made it 450, your Cbet could be smaller and allow you to get away cheaper from this hand had he reraised shoved on the flop.
    Posted by Mohican
    says he who cant fold 66 to a shove in a recent thread lol
  • edited December 2010
    Whether it's a £5 or a £100, making money  is all about making correct poker decisions, buy in should not factor into it.  For me its a fold, you're only beating, KK,AQ,KQ,KX and 9X. Sets and two pairs are protecting against the straight draw with the shove reraise as is K9,89. He also knows that it is very unlikely that you c bet with a made straight and can assume you have a made hand,like AQ,KK,AA and a shove here is going to put you to the test. Just fold and go onto the next hand, you have plenty of chips left to still play poker. Also your preflop raise is too big.If you had made it 450, your Cbet could be smaller and allow you to get away cheaper from this hand had he reraised shoved on the flop.
    Posted by Mohican
    I think this is wrong- in one sense you're right, the amount of money involved shouldn't affect your decisions. The buyin is, however, very relevant- as is the stage of the tournament. If you're playing in the primo, I would fold. Not because the money means more, but because the standard of play is (generally) much higher, and I just can't see aces being good against a shove there. In a lowstakes bh, aces are good there very often.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Folding Aces? : says he who cant fold 66 to a shove in a recent thread lol
    Posted by N1CK
    Which one, you'll have to enlighten me.
  • edited December 2010

In Response to Re: Folding Aces? : Which one, you'll have to enlighten me.
    Posted by Mohican
    is called YES OR NO?,  you should explain why you called as i gave you a hard time there as its all one sided
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Folding Aces? : is called YES OR NO?,  you should explain why you called as i gave you a hard time there as its all one sided
    Posted by N1CK
    Simple really, just my read at the time. Didn't think he'd be doing that with anything that was beating me , was using the bubble as pressure and it wasn't for my tourney.(Oh and it was a forum sit'n'go where people chuck chips around with gay abandon,lol)