You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Idiot? or a well though out call?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic

seaford2
Big blind  80.00 120.00 3560.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

pogmotoe Raise  160.00 280.00 6695.00
pedromendz Fold     
purple09 Raise  400.00 680.00 4425.00
billy1954 Fold     
Fibber1 Fold     
seaford2 Fold     
pogmotoe Call  240.00 920.00 6455.00
Flop

pogmotoe Check     
purple09 Check     
Turn

• K

pogmotoe Check     
purple09 Bet  690.00 1610.00 3735.00
pogmotoe Call  690.00 2300.00 5765.00
River

pogmotoe Bet  1150.00 3450.00 4615.00
purple09 Call  1150.00 4600.00 2585.00
pogmotoe Show

purple09 Show
  • A

purple09 Win Pair of 8s 4600.00

Just played in a freeroll this afternoon and something that is a constant re-occurence, is that you are going to be called an Idiot if you show some fairly decent poker quality, by making a call based on good judgement. It usually means that the other player has just lost some chips.

The game itself was pretty much ABC style poker. Definitely different standards, but what do you expect with a freeroll? Anyway, I have A-8 and there is a min raise just ahead of me. I am thinking rag ace or Q-J maybe, so I raise it 5x big blind. I have position and so am thinking he will probably fold. He doesn't, he just straight calls.

The flop falls 4-7-6. Only concern for me at this point is that he has hit his rag. He checks ahead of me, so that goes out of my mind. I check behind him to see the turn.

Turn comes out K, he checks, I represent, he calls. My thinking then is still rag A or maybe he has a strong A. I dont believe he has hit his K, otherwise I think he would have re-raised me.

The river throws out 8. Right this is time to think. Do I genuinely belive that he has  A-5? He throws in a bet of 1150. This is less than half the pot. I have hit my 8, it is the second highest pair. I do take my time to think this and I should show him a bit of respect, but what hand does he put me on? The bet is so small, it reeks of fear.  My hand is not that strong and winning this pot would definitely enhance my chances later in the game.  I make the call and take the pot down. Then the
Idiot calling commences.

My feeling is that freerolls are a great chance for you to practise different strategies and techniques without losing anything. More importantly, they are fun. If your life is in a position where you rely on winning freerolls, then I genuinely pity you. But please stay away from the freerolls. They are full of players that can play and do not always play ABC. You chould not criticise players, regardless of what they do. Maybe it would be best if you just learnt how to beat them, then you might not be limite to freerolls!!!!

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I agree with you mate. More long term value in the practice that freerolls offer than the potential few quid you could win then and there.

You made a read and had an opportunity to find out if it was a correct one in a no risk situation. You'd be an idiot not to take that opportunity to learn.

As for the quality if the read itself, i'm not really in a position to comment (not been playing long myself) but hopefully a few of the regs will chirp in.