You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

right call?

edited December 2010 in The Poker Clinic
hi this is my exit hand from tonights 8k ds, loose call or just unlucky
 Small blind  200.00 200.00 8266.50
xxx Big blind  400.00 600.00 6853.50
  Your hole cards

Fold     
 Fold     
 Fold     
waller02 Raise  1200.00 1800.00 6612.50
 Fold     
 All-in  6853.50 8653.50 0.00
waller02 Call  6053.50 14707.00 559.00
xxxShow
  • Q

waller02 Show

Flop

• A

Turn

• Q

River

xxxWin Full House, 4s and Queens 14707.00  14707.00

Comments

• edited December 2010
    raise les make it 950

fwiw i think you can still fold this with 16bb behind. find a better spot than racing which is usually the best you can hope for here.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: right call?:
    raise les make it 950 fwiw i think you can still fold this with 16bb behind. find a better spot than racing which is usually the best you can hope for here.
    Posted by scotty77
    the reason i called is because the blinds were due to change to 300/600 next hand plus i felt the villains shove may be weak as i had been raising on the button a lot, had i won that hand i would have been in top 5 with 22 left, was a tough spot. wish i had folded tho!!!!
  • edited December 2010
    if your going to call it off with marginal hands i think its best to open shove even more so when there is that kind of stack size in the blinds who are looking to shove over late openers with some fold equity, this way your never giving a tough decision were you could fold the best hand
  • edited December 2010
    Scotty - button vs BB, defo think BB is shoving worse hands than hes racing with. Any Pair, Any Ace. And worse than that.

Nick - I think if you just shove then your only getting called by hands that your racing with or crushed by.
  • edited December 2010
    Scotty - button vs BB, defo think BB is shoving worse hands than hes racing with. Any Pair, Any Ace. And worse than that. Nick - I think if you just shove then your only getting called by hands that your racing with or crushed by.
    Posted by 5toneFace
    yeah i get your point, because the op called it off i think its fine but for me 77 is marginal i guess 10s+ and im happy to open call, i think its to good to fold and i dont like open folding so il just shove it as i dont mind getting it through to get a better spot, im not sure my logic makes any sense lol

how would you play the hand?
  • edited December 2010
    given that the blinds are essentially 3/6 then its prob a call.

if we have more time at 2/4 then i do fold

def go for 950 pre tho imo

• edited December 2010
    Id make it 1000 ish and call a shove. Its marginal but you got to gamble at some points. with only 15bbs or whatever it is you cant wait long, esp 6 handed. This isnt a bad spot. Were ahead loads. I'm guessing were a bit under average at this point aswell.

I actually think raise - foldings ok. But I dont like folding the best hand. And they have a good stack size to shove light when were button raising.
  • edited December 2010
    by the way.......the villain won the tourney!  lol
  • edited December 2010
    well in general also the better the player the wider their 3bet shoving range so that makes me more inclined to call.

• edited December 2010

There is no such thing as a loose call in this situation, with 15BB you should only be raising pre-flop if you are fully prepared to call a 3-bet shove. Raise/folding with 15BB is very weak play.

Personally I would open shove with 7s here to maximise my fold equity, I would want a bigger pair to make a raise with the intention of inducing a shove. 

As played your line worked out well because you got your chips in the middle as 71/29 favourite. Unfortunately your cards didn't hold up this time.

• edited December 2010
    Id make it 1000 ish and call a shove. Its marginal but you got to gamble at some points. with only 15bbs or whatever it is you cant wait long, esp 6 handed. This isnt a bad spot. Were ahead loads. I'm guessing were a bit under average at this point aswell. I actually think raise - foldings ok. But I dont like folding the best hand. And they have a good stack size to shove light when were button raising.
    Posted by 5toneFace

yeah thats pretty sound
  • edited December 2010
    I agree in whole with whats been said. Simply because its a BB shove over a button raise and Blinds up next hand it makes it a call for me. Not going to be many more spots.

However what i will state is what someone else stated, change your raise about here. 2.5BB looks soo much likea steal these days and if your willing to flip will almost always induce a shove from a decent player in SB/BB
  • edited December 2010
    Snap shove pre.