You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this the correct play?

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Opinions on this hand

layerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceshannonSmall blind 150.00150.0014285.00The_Don90Big blind 300.00450.0010147.50 Your hole cards10A   penfold99Call 300.00750.0011513.75sharpe08Fold    fearless82Fold    bigrCall 300.001050.0011068.75shannonCall 150.001200.0014135.00The_Don90Check    Flop  3108   shannonCheck    The_Don90Bet 900.002100.009247.50penfold99Fold    bigrCall 900.003000.0010168.75shannonFold    Turn  9   The_Don90Check    bigrCheck    River  3   The_Don90Check    bigrBet 1500.004500.008668.75The_Don90Call 1500.006000.007747.50

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Seems ok to me, 3 limps pre so you could raise it big to steal but looks to me like at least one will call then your in trouble if you miss the flop. Good flop bet after getting free look, turn you could perhaps bet again but pot control is good as your hand isn't amazing. Once you check turn river is always check call for me and that's what you did. This is pretty much how I'd play it.
  • edited January 2011
    i would squeeze pre possibly to tid.

As played, i would bet the turn also usually as i am likely to still have the best hand. charge him if he is on the fd.
  • edited January 2011
    its all ways hard to kno where you are in an un-raised pot esp with limpers on the button and SB since they could have anything...checking the turn is a good move here since ur up against the button player and hes got you covered.......so checking turn for pot control and check calling the river is what id do every time here.............u dont want to go too crazy on this hand imo!!
  • edited January 2011
    I like it all.
  • edited January 2011
    You could raise pre depending on limpers tendencies.

you can bet turn too.
  • edited January 2011
    Hi Don,
    As i see this, it is a question of what range do you put then on. If you think your ahead on the turn then bet 3 quarters of the pot, this way you are "telling the story" of strength.
    Pre flop I'm not a great fan of just tapping the table with A10 and a 3x bet may have got through, at worst you could get rid of a range of hands, not many players use this tactic and it can be effective, if used sparingly. I hate A10 in any position, but if I'd had played the hand this way I would bet the turn.
    What was the outcome?

Col
  • edited January 2011
    fwiw i don't mind checking the turn, you control the pot oop and probably have the best hand. also allows you to get value from a ton of worse hands that would call or bet the river with a missed draw.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Is this the correct play?:
    Hi Don, As i see this, it is a question of what range do you put then on. If you think your ahead on the turn then bet 3 quarters of the pot, this way you are "telling the story" of strength. Pre flop I'm not a great fan of just tapping the table with A10 and a 3x bet may have got through, at worst you could get rid of a range of hands, not many players use this tactic and it can be effective, if used sparingly. I hate A10 in any position, but if I'd had played the hand this way I would bet the turn. What was the outcome? Col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    In all honesty i was putting him on FD or maybe 8 or weaker 10.

The outcome was pretty bad in honesty - however it all comes down to me not raising pre i think - hense why this hand was posted. I felt id played it ok, and show im willing to slow down with TPTK. Obviously J10/J10dd gets there on the turn as does 67.

although i was ruling these hands out, i never ruled out the likes of 89/9T or 8Xcc. This was my biggest fault i think.

He haf K8cc. Although i felt this was down to my pre flop play mostly.
  • edited January 2011
    you lost the min then as he is calling the turn and then you have an even worse spot on the river!
  • edited January 2011
    ok here is how i look at this and considering i dont no any table history.....

if the table is constantly limping pre then a nice size raise pre would be standard.. if you think they would be all limp calling then its gonna be hard playin A10 oop so checkin is fine and you have a decent hand to play with..

i would lead into this flop for sure you need to protect your hand and you have TPTK so many hands in thier limpin range you can get value from..

the turn is the tricky part in this hand.. id probaly prefer to bet this turn again for value there are jus so many worst hands and draws and now combo draws that will call..and jus revaluate the river IF called!! 

i do understand your check behind for pot control but think it a mistake tbh... the river play is fine tho... 

• edited January 2011
    ok here is how i look at this and considering i dont no any table history..... if the table is constantly limping pre then a nice size raise pre would be standard.. if you think they would be all limp calling then its gonna be hard playin A10 oop so checkin is fine and you have a decent hand to play with.. i would lead into this flop for sure you need to protect your hand and you have TPTK so many hands in thier limpin range you can get value from.. the turn is the tricky part in this hand.. id probaly prefer to bet this turn again for value there are jus so many worst hands and draws and now combo draws that will call..and jus revaluate the river IF called!!  i do understand your check behind for pot control but think it a mistake tbh... the river play is fine tho... 
    Posted by LnarinOO
    exactly my thoughts, good post!
  • ybyb
    edited January 2011
    pre is fine imo unless there has been a noticeable amount of limp/folding, turn is close but I don't mind checking for pot control. I would bet river myself though, the 3 is a good card.
  • edited January 2011
    pre is fine imo unless there has been a noticeable amount of limp/folding, turn is close but I don't mind checking for pot control. I would bet river myself though, the 3 is a good card.
    Posted by yb
    i would never lead the river after checkin the turn... i think c/callin if by far the best play... you are effectively turnin your hand into a bluff... if you lead, are you bettin for value?!? if so then why not bet the turn for value as there are so many hands your a head of.. when you get to the river there is only a couple worst hands that might call (a worst 10) but they are at the bottom of his range...

to sum up leadin this river is a bad play with this hand (as it went down)..
  • ybyb
    edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Is this the correct play? : i would never lead the river after checkin the turn... i think c/callin if by far the best play... you are effectively turnin your hand into a bluff... if you lead, are you bettin for value?!? if so then why not bet the turn for value as there are so many hands your a head of.. when you get to the river there is only a couple worst hands that might call (a worst 10) but they are at the bottom of his range... to sum up leadin this river is a bad play with this hand (as it went down)..
    Posted by LnarinOO
    the merit of checking turn is for pot control because we think that we cannot get another 2 streets of value out of enough hands that we beat, when the villain checks back turn his range is weaker than before and also it makes it less likely he is going to be betting his missed draws on the river imo as at least some of the time he would bet these on the turn.

of course if I'd bet the river it would be for value lol, there are plenty of worse hands that can/would call a bet.
  • edited January 2011
    ok i do agree with you and this line of pot control and leadin river is not terrible.. however on this board texture i think its bad...you need to be bettin the first 2 streets for value on wet boards like this one... 

and in regards to your river value bet... wot happens wen you get raised your puttin yourself in another tricky spot.. do you bet/fold, bet/call???? 

this is why i think its a bad play for this hand and bettin turn would be best and most +EV

• ybyb
    edited January 2011
    ok i do agree with you and this line of pot control and leadin river is not terrible.. however on this board texture i think its bad...you need to be bettin the first 2 streets for value on wet boards like this one...  and in regards to your river value bet... wot happens wen you get raised your puttin yourself in another tricky spot.. do you bet/fold, bet/call????  this is why i think its a bad play for this hand and bettin turn would be best and most +EV
    Posted by LnarinOO
    I'd be b/fing, the oppo won't always have a flush though.
  • edited January 2011
    think u shouldhav raised pre flop,A 10, in late position,with limpers,bet at flop is good,relly think u should have bet the turn,if not to kill the hand,but also get value,for a busted draw.then the river you have to re avalueate,and chck call or fold.dont think u gave him a really hard deciscion to make