You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Flopping trips in a cash game. Slow play here?

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Ist hand after I'd sat down. Recently an AK of mine hit the 3rd king on the turn and I'd slow played it to be beaten by a rivered full house that stacked me and was playing on my mind. +ve play here my friends?

Pogoboy_ny Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £27.95
bandini Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £49.50
  Your hole cards

Raise  £2.00 £2.75 £90.21
WIZARDBOY Fold     
londman Fold     
BognorBoyz Fold     
Pogoboy_ny Call  £1.75 £4.50 £26.20
bandini Call  £1.50 £6.00 £48.00
Flop

Pogoboy_ny Check     
bandini Check     
 Bet  £4.50 £10.50 £85.71
Pogoboy_ny Fold     
bandini Call  £4.50 £15.00 £43.50
Turn

bandini Check     
 Bet  £7.50

Comments

• edited December 2010
    He's opened utg, c bet into 3 players and fired again on the turn on a dry board, so he looks mega strong here. A huge %age of his range is overpairs, obviously he could have top set, top pair, occasionally 88/99, but thats less likely, possibly AK/AQ of spades, and v rarely is this a total bluff.

So against that lot - I think it's a clear spot to raise.

Raise sizing is tricky with the stacks - need to find a figure which gets you value, without giving away how strong your hand is, which allows him to make a mistake with something like ten jack, queen ten.

With the flush draw coming on the turn, and using my image with alot of 50nl regs as a big spew donk, I would probably jam here, and make it look like I've turned a draw to go with my top pair, maybe 9,10 of clubs or something.

I always think about yb's advice about convincing your opponent he always has fold equity - but as Ive concluded that the guy is rarely bluffing here - I don't think he's gonna be looking for fold equity?? Does that sound right?

I think if we overbet shove here, he's either gonna snap call, or snap fold - probably the former. 
  • edited December 2010
    i would donk into the flop i would also do this with air to get info to if i could steal this later, as played i think if he has a big overpair he could call a river shove so i would just chk call turn then shove the river as if he does have air it gives him a chance to improve. but  i would have folded pre as the other guy didnt have a full stack
  • edited December 2010
    for me its now time to raise,
    1 as said above you maybe pushing now with top pr and flush draw.
    2 if you do flat call and the A K or Q comes, he then maybe has made the full house that ur going to pay off.
    3 if you do flat call and any club comes (except 6 clubs) ur maybe paying off to a better hand again.

best to get it in now and if he does hit  then so be it. (apparently thats poker)

pots 22.50, if u push, its a 35ish call into almost 70, 
    but it represents the top pr / flush draw better - a smaller raise looks more like TT or even an overpair yourself as u did call the raise.
  • edited December 2010
    its a pretty bad spot to raise as a bluff imo  if we put the villain on TPGK+
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Flopping trips in a cash game. Slow play here?:
    its a pretty bad spot to raise as a bluff imo  if we put the villain on TPGK+
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    is this at me?
  • edited December 2010
    do a frop raise put money in pot we haz twips yay
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Flopping trips in a cash game. Slow play here? : is this at me?
    Posted by N1CK
    nah i was trying to make the point that how can we c/r the turn for value when we never c/r the turn as a bluff. villain can just bet/fold overpairs all the time

we want out hand to look as weak as possible to let him vbet worse or bluff so i would just call turn aswell and c/c or c/s river.
  • edited December 2010
    As played I think you're stuck with calling the turn in order to not lose value on the river.  If we've c/c the flop and then c/r the turn it screams a huge amount of strength.  Flat here and the either c/c, c/r or V-bet the river, this depending on what card falls and if you think the villain will check behind with an over pair/top pair.

What do you guys think about leading the flop, smoothing any raise and then leading the turn?
  • edited December 2010
    lead call lead is really really bad against anyone vaguely competent.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Flopping trips in a cash game. Slow play here? : nah i was trying to make the point that how can we c/r the turn for value when we never c/r the turn as a bluff. villain can just bet/fold overpairs all the time we want out hand to look as weak as possible to let him vbet worse or bluff so i would just call turn aswell and c/c or c/s river.
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    yeah i like checking the river to a strong player and betting out or shoving depending on the last card vs a weaker opponent
  • edited December 2010

He's not folding an over-pair, and that's what he has 90% of the time.

Don't over-complicate it, shove.
  • edited January 2011
    Sorry for the delay in replying but it's New Year and I'm Scottish. Go figure.

Thanks for all the opinions. They made for interesting reading. My conclusion is my 1st error was check-calling the flop. Should have bet out. Remember lolu saying something about a similar hand on MasterCash and he was right. My 2nd mistake (If you didn't see the hand on The Poker clinic I check-raised to £30ish and he folded JJ) was not calling the turn raise. Check-calling followed by check-rasing virtually screamed "5". Easy in hindsight I guess but we live, we learn.

But thanks one and all for the comments. All appreciated.