You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New year footy betting (1st - 5th)

Happy new year peeps

There's a feast of footy in the next few days so to make it easier we'll keep it all on one thread!

Saturday sees a full programme in England with most of the Scottish games being played on Sunday. Monday sees a full football league programme with midweek prem games spread over Tuesday & Wednesday. So far it looks as though all games will go ahead as well which is a bit of a bonus from recent weeks.

Three bets to start with for me for tomorrow.

Main Acca:

Doncaster to beat Scunthorpe (H) @ 4/5
Leeds to beat Middlesbrough (H) @ 10/11
Southampton to beat Exeter (H) @ 4/9
Bury to beat Macclesfield (H) @ 8/11

These 4 are paying a very reasonable 15/2 so I've had a tenner on it.

Don't be fooled by Doncaster's mid table league position. They're only 4 points off the play off spots & have games in hand over pretty much everyone above them. Donny are strong at the Keepmoat with only 1 defeat there this season. Scunny have been better on the road than they have Glanford Park this season with 6 wins & 5 defeats & the midweek coupon busting win at Burnley proved they're no pushovers. However, their record against Rovers is poor to say the least with just one win in their last 9 league meetings home & away. These two teams have already met at Glanford Park back in October where Rovers ran out 3-1 winners.
Leeds are one of the form teams in the championship at the moment & are currently unbeaten in their last 11 league games (6 wins & 5 draws). They should be strong enough at home to see off a poor Boro side who have really not travelled well this season. Middlesbrough's 3-1 win at Preston in midweek was only their 2nd in 12 attempts away from the Riverside this season. The only other points they've gained on the road so far were a win at Scunthorpe & a draw at Leicester. They have lost the other 9. These 2 have already met at the Riverside this season back in October where Leeds ran out 2-1 winners.
Southampton are not running away with league 1 as they were expected to but they are only 6 points off top spot. They have a decent record at St Marys taking 21 points from a possible 36 there so far & thumped promotion chasing Huddersfield there 4-1 in midweek. Exeter are only 2 points behind the saints in the league but it's their away form that's holding them back. They've only won 3 from 11 on the road so far & have conceded 21 goals in the process. In the only other league meeting between them at St Marys last season Southampton ran out 3-1 winners & I think it'll be a similar outcome again this time.
Bury play host to near neighbours Macclesfield looking to cement their place in the top 3 in league 2. They've been stronger away from Gigg Lane this season winning only 3 from 9 there so far but they've only played 1 game in the whole of December so will be fresh & ready for this game. Macclesfield don't travel too well with 3 wins from 10 away from Moss Rose with 2 of their defeats on the road coming at Lincoln & Barnet who currently occupy 2 of the bottom 3 places in the division. Since their promotion to the football league back in 1997, Macclesfield have never won a league meeting at Bury. They've drawn 2 & lost 6 in their 8 visits to Gigg Lane.

Super Long Shot Acca:

Stoke/Everton - DRAW @ 23/10
QPR to beat Norwich (A) @ 13/8
Swansea/Reading - DRAW @ 12/5
Crewe to beat Northampton (H) @ 11/10
Rotherham to beat Port Vale (H) @ 13/10

These 5 are paying a whopping 141/1 so only small stakes here for hopefully big returns.

Stoke & Everton currently occupy 10th & 11th place respectively yet Stoke are only 5 points clear of the relegation spots. Along with Birmingham & Fulham, Everton have drawn the most amount of games this season with 10 from their 19 ending all square. Both games last season ended in draws & Everton narrowly won the meeting at Goodison earlier this season. 
The main reason I'm backing QPR here is because of the price. It's just too big for a side who are 7 points clear at the top of the division & have also found their form again of late. Norwich have done superbly well again this season & find themselves pushing for a 2nd successive promotion but I fancy that Rangers will be too strong for them.
Both Swansea & Reading have both proved to be difficult sides to beat this season & I think they're likely to cancel each other out at the Liberty Stadium. Swansea just edged the return game earlier in the season when they won 1-0 at the Madjeski back in October but both meetings were drawn last season & I think it's likely to be more of the same here.
Crewe are currently 4 points off the play off spots & a real push between now & the end of the season is likely to see them sneak in. They meet a Northampton side who have only lost once in their last 7 but like Crewe they also haven't played for the last 3 weeks due to the weather. Their away form this season has also been poor with only 2 wins from 11 on the road so far.
There's 3 reasons why I've backed Rotherham as part of this long shot. Firstly they're at home & they've been a strong force there so far with only 1 defeat from 11 so far. Secondly, not only are Port Vale coming into this game on the back of 2 defeats they've also just lost their manager as Micky Adams has decided to take up the reigns at Sheffield Utd. Thirdly, all things considered this is a massive price,

Under/Over Acca:

Stoke/Everton - UNDER 2.5 @ 4/6
West Brom/Man Utd - OVER 2.5 @ 4/6
Man City/Blackpool - OVER 2.5 @ 8/15
Leeds/Middlesbrough - OVER 2.5 @ 4/5
Watford/Portsmouth - OVER 2.5 @ 8/11
Swansea/Reading - UNDER 2.5 @ 8/13
Crewe/Northampton - OVER 2.5 @ 8/11

These 7 are paying a nice 36/1 so a couple of quid here.

Good luck if you're having a go tomorrow

Jay

Comments

• edited January 2011

I think your main acca looks good today Jay, so instead of looking myself, Im gonna have the same 10r on !

Billy Sharp hat-trick against Scunny sounds good to me :)
  • edited January 2011
    ARGH! The kiss of death from the early kick off strikes again! 2 minutes to go it looks like Leeds are gonna s crew me over so I've had another couple for this afternoon.

Spurs to beat Fulham (H) @ 4/9
    Forest to beat Barnsley (H) @ 8/15
    Brentford to beat Dagenham (H) @ 8/11
    Southampton to beat Exeter (H) @ 4/9
    Bury to beat Macclesfield (H) @ 8/11
    Torquay to beat Hereford (A) @ 5/4

These 6 are paying 20/1 so I've had a fiver on

Also gone for these 4:

Bolton (+1) to beat Liverpool (A) @ 11/10
    Man City (-1) to beat Blackpool (H) @ 8/11
    Sunderland to beat Blackburn (H) @ 5/6
    Forest to beat Barnsley (H) @ 8/15

These 4 are paying 9/1 so I've had a fiver on this too.

TBH, I've been a little lazy with these last 2 bets & have pretty much gone with the tipster in the Sun (Andy Totham) as he's pretty good most of the time.
  • edited January 2011
    GONE FOR

EVERTON/SUNDERLAND/WEST HAM WIN TREBLE
  • edited January 2011
    Talk about mixed emotions! 3 very valuable points today but it's been a truly awful day at the tables. Absolutely everything gone against me today.

Still, tomorrow's a new day :)
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: New year footy betting (1st - 5th):
    Talk about mixed emotions! 3 very valuable points today but it's been a truly awful day at the tables. Absolutely everything gone against me today. Still, tomorrow's a new day :)
    Posted by silentbob
    lol, the bookies must love you Jay. Your footy tips (cut and pasted from somewhere) are absolute shi`te.
  • edited January 2011
    There's a full football league programme today so hopefully a chance to grab a winner

I've gone for 2 bets for this afternoon

Main Acca:

QPR to beat Bristol City (H) @ 4/9
    Southampton to beat Dagenham (A) @ 4/5
    Peterborough to beat Walsall (H) @ 4/7
    Rotherham to beat Macclesfield (A) @ 11/8

These 4 are paying a tidy 17/2 so I've had a tenner on it.

Rangers narrowly lost at Norwich on Saturday so this is a perfect opportunity to get back on track. They're strong at Loftus Road where they've only lost once in 12 there this season when Watford surprised them a few weeks ago. City have had a mini revival over the last 6 weeks or so but they're still not great travellers. Despite beating Cardiff 3-0 at Ashton Gate on Saturday, they've lost their last 3 straight on the road & they don't have a good record in West London either having lost on their last 3 visits.
    Southampton are starting to look something like their pre season favourite tags & now sit in 2nd spot in the division. They've won their last 2 games scoring 8 goals in the process & have already beaten Dagenham at home back in November (4-0). The saints will be made to work for everything at the L.B stadium as Dagenham battle hard, but with current form & this price you'd be stupid not to back Southampton here.
    Peterborough are the top scorers in league one with 39 from 20 games. It's at home where they're particularly potent though where they've scored a whopping 26 goals in just 10 games. Despite selling Aaron Mclean to Hull they still have George Boyd & Craig Mackail-Smith to bang them in. They meet a Walsall side who are rock bottom of the division with one of the worst away records. Peterborough have already beaten them at the Banks's Stadium back in November too.
    Rotherham are one of the form sides in league 2 at the moment & are unbeaten in their last 6 home & away. They come into this game on the back of a thumping 5-0 home win against Port Vale so confidence will be high. In contrast Macclesfield are struggling with 1 draw & 3 defeats in their last 4 games. They did manage to get a point at Rotherham back in November but the Millers certainly hold the upper hand in this fixture as prior to November's draw, Rotherham have won the previous 5 league meetings between them.

Long Shot Handicapped Acca:

Norwich (+1) to beat Middlesbrough (A) @ 8/13
    Doncaster (+1) to beat Sheff Utd (A) @ 4/7
    Southampton (-1) to beat Dagenham (A) @ 9/4
    Hartlepool (+1) to beat Notts Co (A) @ 8/11
    Peterborough (-1) to beat Walsall (H) @ 6/4
    Gillingham (+1) to beat Wycombe (A) @ 4/6

These 6 are paying a big 58/1 so I've had a couple of quid for fun.

Good luck if you're having a go today peeps

Jay
  • edited January 2011
    HAVIN A WIN TREBLE  S/HAMTON/BRIGHTON/TORQUAY
  • edited January 2011
    FFFFUUUUU QPR

Last bleedin minute!!!
  • edited January 2011

Birmingham
    WBA
    United v Stoke - DRAW

60/1

£2
  • edited January 2011
    I've gone for a cheeky treble tonight

Man Utd (-1) to beat Stoke (H) @ 10/11
    Blackpool to beat Birmingham (H) @ 5/4
    Luton to beat Hayes (A) @ 2/5

These 3 pay a tasty 5/1 so I've had a tenner on as usual. Hopefully I won't get done over in injury time again like yesterday.

Since Stoke were promoted to the prem back in 2008 they've met Man Utd 5 times & they've lost all 5. On the two occasions they've gone to Old Trafford they've lost 4-0 & 5-0 & whilst Utd are probably unlikely to score that many tonight, this price for them to win by 2 or more is huge.
    Birmingham seem to have gone into free fall with only one win in their last 10 in the league & they won't enjoy going to the seaside tonight. Blackpool will attack from the off & know that 3 points here will go a long way to securing top flight football for another year at least.
    Conference leaders AFC Wimbledon dropped points yesterday so Luton know that victory against 2nd bottom Hayes tonight really puts them back in the hunt for top spot & automatic promotion back to the football league. Luton are definitely in form at the moment with 5 wins & 1 defeat in their last 6. There's a reason why Hayes are 2nd bottom & having suffered 7 straight defeats that probably goes a long way to explain it!

Good luck if you're having a go tonight

Jay
  • edited January 2011
    SPURS/NEWCASTLE/LIVERPOOL WIN TREBLE AT 10/1 FOR ME
  • edited January 2011
    Had nice win last night

single  £25
     Fulham 3 v 0 West BromUnder/Over 9.5 Corners 04/01/2011 20:00Over (9.5) (win) @ 8/11
     double  £40
     Barclays Premier LeagueBlackpool v BirminghamBoth Teams to Score 04/01/2011 20:00Yes (Win) @ 8/11
     Npower ChampionshipCardiff v LeedsBoth Teams to Score 04/01/2011 19:45Yes (Win) @ 8/13
    £89.79p winnings so have put £22 on
     Everton v TottenhamBoth Teams to Score 05/01/2011 20:00Yes @ 8/11
    might bet on live game tonight, will see how its looking after 20 minutes.

be lucky

achill
  • edited January 2011
    I've gone for two bets tonight

Short price double:

Chelsea to beat Wolves (A) @ 8/15
    Bolton to beat Wigan (H) @ 8/11

This pays 13/8 

Prem long shot:

Arsenal/Man City - Over 2.5 goals @ 8/11
    Villa/Sunderland - Under 2.5 goals @ 8/11
    West Ham (+1) to beat Newcastle (A) @ 5/6
    Chelsea to win to nil @ 11/8
    Liverpool to score 2+ goals @ evens
    Bolton (-1) to beat Wigan (H) @ 15/8
    Spurs (+1) to beat Everton (A) @ 8/15

These 7 potentially pay a massive 114/1 so I thought it was worth a quid.

Good luck peeps

Jay
  • edited January 2011
    Quality stuff

5 minutes in & my long shot is out the window & my double ain't looking too clever either :(
  • edited January 2011
    Had nice win last night single  £25   Fulham 3 v 0 West Brom Under/Over 9.5 Corners 04/01/2011 20:00 Over (9.5) ( win)  @ 8/11  double  £40   Barclays Premier League Blackpool v Birmingham Both Teams to Score 04/01/2011 20:00 Yes ( Win ) @ 8/11   Npower Championship Cardiff v Leeds Both Teams to Score 04/01/2011 19:45 Yes ( Win ) @ 8/13 £89.79p winnings so have put £22 on   Everton v Tottenham Both Teams to Score 05/01/2011 20:00 Yes @ 8/11 might bet on live game tonight, will see how its looking after 20 minutes. be lucky achill
    Posted by achill
    Thats what i love about this bet it can be done and dusted after no time at all well done. ive done each game in premiership to score except the wolves V chelsea game.
  • edited January 2011
    I've gone for two bets tonight Short price double: Chelsea to beat Wolves (A) @ 8/15 Bolton to beat Wigan (H) @ 8/11 This pays 13/8  Prem long shot: Arsenal/Man City - Over 2.5 goals @ 8/11 Villa/Sunderland - Under 2.5 goals @ 8/11 West Ham (+1) to beat Newcastle (A) @ 5/6 Chelsea to win to nil @ 11/8 Liverpool to score 2+ goals @ evens Bolton (-1) to beat Wigan (H) @ 15/8 Spurs (+1) to beat Everton (A) @ 8/15 These 7 potentially pay a massive 114/1 so I thought it was worth a quid. Good luck peeps Jay
    Posted by silentbob
    Lordy Jay, could be the cue for Scotty Parker to be saying ta-ta in the transfer window.

Still very angry at the way Hughton was treated by Ashley, but this must be extra sweet for Pardew tonight.

On a side note...How bad are Liverpool? Have not had a look, but Hodgson must be "no-offers" to get sacked on Thursday.

RAFA BENITEZ STILL AVAILABLE AT 16/1 with Victor Chandler to return (5/1 with skybet lol).