You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

pre flop raises

edited January 2011 in Poker Chat
why do people feel the need to constantly raise before the flop?

its not part of my game so i struggle to see the benefits of it. I dont get why the same people keep this tactic going and go out of touraments early on, all for the sake of trying to win blinds out of position.

Yes, at latter stages of touraments, its a great tactic to use, and all the good players play it, but giving up 20%-30% of ur stack early on sounds a bit silly to me. But obviously its beneficial to my stack when i call/re-raise u donks and hit on the flop.

Anyway, happy new year all, and good luck on the tables. 

PS: is lucy still floating around??  

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Well the idea is to raise pre-flop when you've got decent cards. You want people who haven't really got anything to fold therefore you eliminate them from hitting anything on the flop.

You also want a few people to call your raise so as when you do hit on the flop/turn/river or your pocket pair holds up you win more money/chips back.

• edited January 2011

If no-body ever bet, there is no game.

It's not bingo.
  • edited January 2011
    I hope this is a gigantic level.

For arguments sake, you have AK pre-flop. You limp in and so do four others whilst the BB checks.The flop comes A92. It checks to you and you bet, it folds all the way around to the BB who c/r, you then re-raise, he goes all in, you call and he flips over 92. Would be annoying wouldn't it? The point is, by raising pre-flop 99% of the time the BB folds his hand in that instance.

By not raising it makes gaining information so much harder. For example if we raise and the tightest player on the table calls we know to be careful post-flop. If however we limp pre-flop, he limps behind with a huge pocket pair and we flop top pair with 109 whilst there's a flush draw out there, we're going to lose a fair portion of our stack because it's hard to always give him credit for a big hand when he could in theory have a busted flush etc.

At the end of the day limping is awful. No world class player consistently limps. It just does not happen.
  • edited January 2011
    i understand raising preflop when u r in control of a good hand, but why pre-raise 7 out of 10 flops?

i raise preflop when i have a strong hand because its the right way to play to put opponents off, but its rediculous the amount of players who do it when they have nowt, then re-raise by 300-900% of a flop to try put people off.

Calling is for the weak and re-raises win hands. But i still phamton why many stick to a tactic that runs out of steam so soon.
  • edited January 2011
    why do you constantly flat call pre,people notice your pattern so they raise it up to stop you having a cheap flop,thats what i do anyway,hny
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: pre flop raises:
    i understand raising preflop when u r in control of a good hand, but why pre-raise 7 out of 10 flops? i raise preflop when i have a strong hand because its the right way to play to put opponents off, but its rediculous the amount of players who do it when they have nowt, then re-raise by 300-900% of a flop to try put people off. Calling is for the weak and re-raises win hands. But i still phamton why many stick to a tactic that runs out of steam so soon.
    Posted by R__C__S

You realise that in the early stages it costs much less to make a standard preflop raise (i.e. raising 3x bb at 10/20 with a 2k stack vs raising 3x bb at 50/100 with the same size stack)? Players will therefore play a lot more hands in the opening stages as they don't have to tighten up given that it's deeper stacked play.

Also, the ability to raise a lot pre-flop is very beneficial if you're a good post-flop player as it disguises your hand range and makes it difficult for an opponent to give you credit for your big hands.

In situations where someone is playing like a maniac, you just need to learn to sit and be patient, but you also need to accept that there's a real art to it (if played well).
  • edited January 2011
    thread of year Op love it
  • edited January 2011
    pre-raising with good hands like AK, AQ, KQ ect  i understand but people do it constantly and win hands when they have pre-raised/re-raised with 6,2 ect and hit trips, i know because ive been horsed out many comps when ive thought my AK preflop raise which hits top pair and top kicker, gets beat by trips 
  • edited January 2011
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

about time i won something lol

• edited January 2011

You don't understand, the people who open raise with 6-2, will very rarely flop the world, but most of the time will take the pot down with nothing on the flop by making other players fold. 

It's a card game, but it's not a game of cards.
  • edited January 2011
    pre-raising with good hands like AK, AQ, KQ ect  i understand but people do it constantly and win hands when they have pre-raised/re-raised with 6,2 ect and hit trips, i know because ive been horsed out many comps when ive thought my AK preflop raise which hits top pair and top kicker, gets beat by trips 
    Posted by R__C__S
    Ugh another one HI ive been employed by sky to show new complainers to AREA 51, SO its that a way chumb

you will have to use ur imagination ...takes ages to be approved :)

• edited January 2011
    You don't understand, the people who open raise with 6-2, will very rarely flop the world, but most of the time will take the pot down with nothing on the flop by making other players fold.  It's a card game, but it's not a game of cards.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

so taking all advice on board i lasted roughly 13 minutes in the 9.15 deepy lol

• edited January 2011
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    only cos your a serial limper - lol
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: pre flop raises : only cos your a serial limper - lol
    Posted by Ploppy33

shhhh dont tell everyone plophead :p limp ftw obviously lol