You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

omaha advice

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Ok this is just something ive seen alot recently in a £5.50 dym in omaha. Say a player ha KK96r or QQ83(8 and 3 suited) and someone shove pre is it a call.

Now im not claiming bad beat as on both occassions i was behind pre to the pair, on the KK occassion QT86double suit and the other time i had KQTA single suit.

Just curious as to pre flop all in call hands.

This was NLO btw/

Comments

• edited January 2011
    In a DYM it is only a call when:

You're so short stacked that it's likely your best chance to double and survive.

or

You're so big stacked a loss won't change your ICM too much to cash and it's the DYM bubble (or effective bubble).

Just my opinion, but I'd avoid NLO if you want a sensible game of Omaha.  There's already a decent Bingo arm of this corporation.
  • edited January 2011

Nonononono.

I'll tell you why.
    1. A worser player with these hands WILL call meaning one less player, just let them battle it out
    2. If someone is all in pre, they've 80% of the time got AAxx (so many people find this hand to be the nuts)

So personally if there is a shove pre, and i feel like calling because i think im good, i want all my cards to be different cause likelyhood is that you can smash them just with just 2 pairs, suited connectors.. even better.

double suited connectors are your best hands to push with. Or AAxx - QQxx (double suited)

Gonna get back into omaha when i deposit as i made quite a bit of it when i played it properly, so good luck and se you on the tables mate.

Also p.s ive played countless DYM's without playing a single hand and cashing.. Bit wouldnt advise doing that just let other people tackle the big spots and you tackle the correct spots

• edited January 2011
    oh god, get the hang of holdem first lol
  • edited January 2011
      The most important aspect in a starting hand is quantity not quality of your hands. So KK96r has only the 2 nut drawing hands which makes it weak and QQ83 only has 1 making it very weak.

Too many people playing omaha massively overrate PP especially big ones. People who massively raise pre most of the time have AAxx and play it like AA in NLHE.Even good PP like AAKK ds is only about 65% fave against a good drawing hand like 89TJds( if suits are different). It is hands like 89TJ ds that are the ones you want to be playing against the big raises not raggy big pairs. 89TJ has all 6 hands nut drawing and therefore you have much more chance of connecting with the board and winning the hand.

Hands like KK96 and QQ83 are only any good if you can get to the flop cheap and get away cheap when you miss. They are certainly not worth going to war with. If circumstances were desperate i would consider shoving with that type of hand but there are very few circumstances in which i would call a shove with them.

The other thing to remember is that in omaha the winning hands tend to be bigger and therefore a pocket pair that sets up is still very often not enough to win. To win with a PP you have to be looking at a house minimum or to bet off your opponents when you set up.Hopefully some of this is of some use to you.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: omaha advice:
      The most important aspect in a starting hand is quantity not quality of your hands. So KK96r has only the 2 nut drawing hands which makes it weak and QQ83 only has 1 making it very weak.   Too many people playing omaha massively overrate PP especially big ones. People who massively raise pre most of the time have AAxx and play it like AA in NLHE.Even good PP like AAKK ds is only about 65% fave against a good drawing hand like 89TJds( if suits are different). It is hands like 89TJ ds that are the ones you want to be playing against the big raises not raggy big pairs. 89TJ has all 6 hands nut drawing and therefore you have much more chance of connecting with the board and winning the hand.   Hands like KK96 and QQ83 are only any good if you can get to the flop cheap and get away cheap when you miss. They are certainly not worth going to war with. If circumstances were desperate i would consider shoving with that type of hand but there are very few circumstances in which i would call a shove with them.    The other thing to remember is that in omaha the winning hands tend to be bigger and therefore a pocket pair that sets up is still very often not enough to win. To win with a PP you have to be looking at a house minimum or to bet off your opponents when you set up.Hopefully some of this is of some use to you.
    Posted by Talon

Thanks Talon. Gave me a good insight to the world of omaha there. I have no idea why but i find the omaha world is soo much easier than the hold em one, therefore i wanrt to be able to master this game. As stated above i wasnt the caller i was the shover with the other hands both times.

One thing i wasnt sure of, is how strong is my hands in comparason to my opponents pre flop?
  • edited January 2011
    Both hands are strong there mate, suited connectors you cannot get any stronger, when do the maths im not sure what the percentages are though because of his over pair, and you dont always hit in omaha (tough to beleive i know). I think you ahead both hands though.

Alsolmake notes on everyone who pushed with them hands and then follow them, because i asure you they don't just do it the once, and they knowledge of omaha is shocking. You see so many people go against eachother with the likes of AAxx vs KKxx.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: omaha advice:
    Both hands are strong there mate, suited connectors you cannot get any stronger, when do the maths im not sure what the percentages are though because of his over pair, and you dont always hit in omaha (tough to beleive i know). I think you ahead both hands though. Alsolmake notes on everyone who pushed with them hands and then follow them, because i asure you they don't just do it the once, and they knowledge of omaha is shocking. You see so many people go against eachother with the likes of AAxx vs KKxx.
    Posted by HartshorN
    + 1 could not put it better myself
  • edited January 2011
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    POLYMORPHI Small blind  15.00 15.00 1845.00
    Rigoletto Big blind  30.00 45.00 2200.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • A
    • J

finnigen02 Call  30.00 75.00 2010.00
    xCall  30.00 105.00 1950.00
    HartshorN Call  30.00 135.00 1910.00
    casper20 Fold     
    POLYMORPHI Call  15.00 150.00 1830.00
    Rigoletto Check     
    Flop

POLYMORPHI Check     
    Rigoletto Check     
    finnigen02 Bet  60.00 210.00 1950.00
    xCall  60.00 270.00 1890.00
    HartshorN Raise  120.00 390.00 1790.00
    POLYMORPHI Call  120.00 510.00 1710.00
    Rigoletto Fold     
    finnigen02 Fold     
    xRaise  120.00 630.00 1770.00
    HartshorN Call  60.00 690.00 1730.00
    POLYMORPHI Call  60.00 750.00 1650.00
    Turn

POLYMORPHI Check     
    xBet  750.00 1500.00 1020.00
    HartshorN All-in  1730.00 3230.00 0.00
    POLYMORPHI Fold     
    xAll-in  1020.00 4250.00 0.00
    xUnmatched bet  40.00 4210.00 40.00
    Show
    • Q
    • A
    • J

HartshorN Show
    • J
    • A
    • J

River

HartshorN Win Flush to the Ace 4210.00
    Prime example of someone without omaha knowledge, find one and youve pretty much cashed. Don't copy how i played the hand as it wasn't the best played, but notice the limp with a good starting hand. Raising gets you knowhere early on.