You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SnGs v MTT final tables

Does anyone think SnGs are good preparation for MTT final tables? I'd be interested to hear if anyone has deliberately played SnGs just for final table experience.

The big difference I can see is the size of the blinds, leading to you often playing 30 or 40 minutes with the same people in a SnG, whereas you may only have 10 minutes with the players at a MTT FT so it's probably less worthwhile setting up longer-term plays. Apart from this, they may well be good practice - I don't know.

Comments

• edited September 2009
    The biggest difference is that in a SnG you are looking to finish in the top 2 or 3 whereas on a final table you are looking to finish as late/high as possible and "ladder" up. Practising this way is good for hand ranges but it doesn't replicate a final table attitude.
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to SnGs v MTT final tables:
    Does anyone think SnGs are good preparation for MTT final tables? I'd be interested to hear if anyone has deliberately played SnGs just for final table experience. The big difference I can see is the size of the blinds, leading to you often playing 30 or 40 minutes with the same people in a SnG, whereas you may only have 10 minutes with the players at a MTT FT so it's probably less worthwhile setting up longer-term plays. Apart from this, they may well be good practice - I don't know.
    Posted by BigBluster
    I spose its the closest similarity you can get to a final table.
  • edited September 2009
    NOT REALLY IN SNG EVERYONE HAS SIMULAR STARTING STACKS IN A MTT YOU HAVE VASTLY DIFFERENT STARTING STACK SO 50% OF THE PLAYERS AT IT ARE AT THE ALL IN OR FOLD STAGE PROTACTING THEIR STACK SO AS TO LADDER UP THE OTHER 50% ARE TRYING TO FOLD OF THE SMALL STACKS OR TEASE THEM ALL IN WITH HIDDEN MONSTERS