You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Called but profitable in the long run?

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Once this hand was min raised and only called i didnt really rate anybodys starting hands. When he bets £1 on the flop i am pretty sure he has nothing and is trying to take the pot there or a weak king as i think this player would of raised with a strong king pre-flop. I am calling with hitting two-pair or trips on the turn or to evaluate his next move. When i hit on the turn the next bet is an easy call for me but it is the all-in on the river that i really had to think about it and in the end i went with my gut. I was worried that as i felt he could of had a weak king pre flop he had hit two pair. How would anybody else of played this and do you think the calls are the right play?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
dzanka1 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £8.62
WelshGramp Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £2.70
  Your hole cards

GhettsBoi Call  £0.10 £0.25 £5.82
shark11 Raise  £0.20 £0.45 £3.50
SmugNugget Fold     
furber Call  £0.20 £0.65 £8.57
dzanka1 Call  £0.15 £0.80 £8.47
WelshGramp Call  £0.10 £0.90 £2.60
GhettsBoi Call  £0.10 £1.00 £5.72
Flop

• K

dzanka1 Bet  £1.00 £2.00 £7.47
WelshGramp Fold     
GhettsBoi Fold     
shark11 Fold     
furber Call  £1.00 £3.00 £7.57
Turn

dzanka1 Bet  £1.50 £4.50 £5.97
furber Call  £1.50 £6.00 £6.07
River

dzanka1 All-in  £5.97 £11.97 £0.00
furber Call  £5.97 £17.94 £0.10
dzanka1 Show
  • K

furber Show

furber Win Two Pairs, 10s and 9s £16.59

Comments

• edited January 2011

Call on the  flop  is probably a bit marginal, given that it's a pot size bet (at this level, a draw / less than top pair is often a smaller bet).
    You've got position though, and can see how he reacts to the turn card, so it's not a big problem. (And you can still improve)

I would mostly raise the turn.
    He  can have  a lot of 1 pair  plus draw hands, or maybe even just a draw that would pay more now, but may be less inclined after the river.

River is a call obv...... the last card changes nothing, and we are fairly confident we are ahead on the turn, so have to go with it.
    If he turns over a bigger 2 pair, or a set then so be it.

BTW, when he bets out on the flop, unless he is really bad, he should always have a hand, betting out of position into 4 people.

• ybyb
    edited January 2011
    Pre is ok, I would defo fold the flop though as donk pot leads into 4 players are normally pretty strong. You can raise the turn but I don't mind flatting and re-evaluating the river.

Btw you should hide results next time to get more unbiased replies.
  • edited January 2011
    For me I don't mind the call pre. You've got position in what is always likely to be a multi way pot with a hand that could pay if you hit big enough.

On the flop though I think I'm inclined to fold here. You've got 2nd pair with someone leading out into 4 other players so I would figure that I'm not good here. What cards do you really want to see on the turn that makes you feel good about your hand? The 10 of diamonds brings out a potential made flush & straight draw (albeit the straight here is unlikely given the betting) so you've actually got very few clean outs. Even if you think he's got a weak king here you're still behind.

As played I probably would've raised the turn but as you've called I think you've got to call the river shove really.