You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

TAG or LAG poker style better for cash games???

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic

I often read that Tight Aggressive play (TAG) is better for cash games - there is less variance and in the long run it is more profitable? However, for tournaments, especially in the latter stages when the blinds are high, it is better to play a loose aggressive style (LAG) i.e. have a wider selection of starting hands and play more aggressively on the flop.

However, often when I am on a cash table (six handed) there is a LAG poker player, who actually gets paid off more, because the TAG player don’t get much equity when they hit the flop and it was also difficult to put the TAG player on a particular hand.  

Any thoughts of what is the better style in cash??

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I would say the best way to play is the opposite to what the rest of the table is playing.

If you're on a table that's super tight & only getting involved with big hands then you can widen your range & take down a fair few pots uncontested. All those little pots soon add up.

On the flip side, if you're on a table of loose/maniac players then tighten up your range, although I would say not too tight as anyone who's paying any sort of attention to what's going on will quickly realise when you get involved.
  • edited January 2011
    lag is more fun til u get stacked
  • edited January 2011
    I agree vary it opposite to the table? Also you are right LAG is much more fun....
  • edited January 2011
    TAG oop LAG ip, 3 bet wide and pick up dead money, you cant just rely on making hands, get the non showdown winnings up nl50 +