You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how do i play this, any advice would be great!

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
hi there,

am new to this so bare with me,

hand that has got me confused, i was playing a £5.50 tournament and had 3000 (smallish stack) chips, blinds were 100/200, just moved to the table.

i was bb and had 4 4

cut off raised to 400
button called
SB called.

should i have gone all in as there was nearly half my stack at the table and nobody really showed strength apart from the initial raiser?

Next part -

i called and the flop came 6 8 8

S B checked

should i once again get my chips in now?

i checked as did the other 2

turn came Q

S B checked and i did too button put in 1000 and everyone folded

how should i have played this? your help would be very grateful

mike

Comments

• edited January 2011
    No to ur first question imo...in tourneys you want to avoid flips even having around 15bb you still have a few rounds before you have to make a move so folding is ok BUT if ur adamant to play this there is only 2 ways imo

1 shove pre preferred 
    2 calling to hit ur set if not fold to a bet
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: how do i play this, any advice would be great!:
    No to ur first question imo...in tourneys you want to avoid flips even having around 15bb you still have a few rounds before you have to make a move so folding is ok BUT if ur adamant to play this there is only 2 ways imo 1 shove pre preferred  2 calling to hit ur set if not fold to a bet
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    thanks for that

i understand i want to avoid flips, but there is a very good chance they all fold as there was only a min raise and callers, and i couold win half my stack uncontested.

do you not think in the long run this play would result in negative equity then?

as i played it out thou i did exactly what you said for optiion 2, i just felt at the time i made the wrong play
  • edited January 2011
    if it was a heads up situation , calling and representing any flop therefore open shoving is a good play since ur 1 opponent is likely to have missed the flop, since we do miss more flops than we hit! 

but doing this in a three way is not a good move sine 1 of the 2 opponents are likely to have hit. So in hindsight playing for the set is defo -ev here so shoving pre is definitely the better choice  and as i said folding is ok too imo
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: how do i play this, any advice would be great!:
    if it was a heads up situation , calling and representing any flop therefore open shoving is a good play since ur 1 opponent is likely to have missed the flop, since we do miss more flops than we hit!  but doing this in a three way is not a good move sine 1 of the 2 opponents are likely to have hit. So in hindsight playing for the set is defo -ev here so shoving pre is definitely the better choice  and as i said folding is ok too imo
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    sorry i was talking abaout whether pre flop shoving being a negative equity move,

i would never really call with 3 others and shove, only said that because it was a good flop,

but you said in first post, No to my first question, which was shoould i shove pre flop.
  • edited January 2011
    Don't call and shove the flop here (aka as a stop-and-go, google it) against 3 opponents, only use that tactic against 1. Shoving pre is a possibility, you might get 3 folds, but 44 in the BB in a raise/call/call pot is too light to shove IMO. I prefer a fold pre-flop, you're too shallow to call/fold for set mining.
  • edited January 2011
    If the original raiser has been min raising a lot, i would be shipping the lot here pre to get folds and pick up the dead money. This would work if we have a tight image imo.

This would also depend on the size of the other players stacks too, but i think we would just have enough to get this through. But its a bit dodgy.

• edited January 2011
    we have a decent shipping stack here.  if we think that the C/O is raising light, then a ship should get thru a decent amount of the time.

button/SB are never flatting a min raise and calling an AI so we only have to worry about the C/O.