You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pot equity v Fold equity - Which one do u use? - confused.

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic

What do you do when you have both of the above? ^^^^^^^^

An example of a hand where I feel the opponent will fold alot of the time, but I also have alot of equity in the hand.

The stacks are deep. Blinds are small. He's shown weakness, probably has nothing, and I want to end the hand here if possible.

If I bet, and he shoves (unlikely) I'm getting it behind and as an underdog. I could bet here, and miss, and be stuffed on the river, in a spot where I have to bluff for my whole stack on level 1 v a weak player, OR give up and fight back from half a stack.

So do you ever check behind here?

First level of a heads up game, no info on the villain, other than he is -$400 over 650 sit n go's on sky poker, so probably bad, and will prob call with any pair, 2 overs, and probably ace high.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DOHHHHHHH Small blind  10.00 10.00 980.00
burtyrub Big blind  20.00 30.00 990.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q

DOHHHHHHH Raise  40.00 70.00 940.00
burtyrub Raise  60.00 130.00 930.00
DOHHHHHHH Call  30.00 160.00 910.00
Flop

burtyrub Bet  20.00 180.00 910.00
DOHHHHHHH Call  20.00 200.00 890.00
Turn

burtyrub Check     
DOHHHHHHH
P.S - This is what happens when you read a book with new fancy words in it ! Don't do it. !!!

Comments

• edited January 2011
    youve put the villan on a range of hands that you are behind to,weak c bet on flop,check the turn,(maybe to induce a bet).
    you could bet 3\4 pot and if he pushes u fold
    check,and hope to hit on river,if u miss basically thats the end of the hand for you.

id bet 3\4 pot if he calls thats good,if you hit on the river,super,if not value  bet the river,which unless he has a read  on you,he folds.

the turn bet of 150 shows that you have tried to finish the pot and do not want to see another card,so he may not put on a flush straight draw.

dont know if this is correct,but is prob how i would play it.

off the top of my head you must be about,45%-48% to hit 1 of your outs

let me know what happened
  • edited January 2011

I saw something yesterday that spoke about c betting flops, when you should, when you shouldn't.....

It said in position, when you have good equity in the hand, sometimes it's best to check, to protect your pot equity.

It also said that fold equity should be your main consideration when making a bet, so you should assess your opponents hand range, before you look at your own hand - and then make a decision balancing the 2.

So I just got really confused. 

If I bet here and he shoves - Im obviously never gonna fold.

As you said above judge, I'm pretty much 50% (queen could be good) - so if I bet and get raised, I'm clearly getting odds to call. 

In cash I think this is a clear bet to build the pot - but with this being a tourny situation, it might be different. 

I did bet, I decided fold equity is my best friend here, so I bet full pot, rather than half or 3 quarters or whatever - I want to give him every reason to fold. Bigger bets to fish probably look 'scary', a smaller bet and they take the "well it's only 100 chips" attitude.

I got there when the 4 of spades hit, and stacked him on the river - he had A3 lol pretty sick river card.

Still unsure about FE/PE tho.
  • edited January 2011
    fold equity is a term that gets used when ur short stacked in a tourney and is something you need to think about when your about to shove to steal the blinds or a pot.....

.....EDIT works the other way to if ur deep and ur oppo is short e.g if hes invested 30% of his stack in the middle, your fold equity is not great since hes rarely folding....

....to protect you pot equity is what you would do if you wish not to get pushed out of a hand like you bettin and the villain shoving to which you cant call.....

.....also pot equity can help you if your about to call an opponents bet by figuring out if its a correct/profitable call or a bad/fishy call.....hope that helps
  • edited January 2011
    before you make any bet ask yourself these questions

1, betting for value or bluffing?
    2, if value betting which hands call or raise
    3, if bluffing do you have pot equity/fold equity
  • ybyb
    edited January 2011
    Its normally best to work out your ev for betting on a particular street, as that sort of includes both things. If we assume that the action on the river is irrelevant (to make calculations easier), and say he folds 60%, calls 30% and shoves 10% when you bet 150, then your ev for betting is:

0.6*200 + 0.3*350*(your equity against his c/cing range) - 0.3*150*(1 - your equity) + 0.1*1090*(your equity against his c/shoving range) - 0.1*890*(1 - your equity)

I dont have stove on this laptop so cant give an estimate of your equity but thats how you'd work it out. This assumes that you would call a shove, but I think you need your q to be live for you to have the equity, and against a player who you may have an edge over I think its a fold.

edit: in this example say your pot equity was 35%, then your fold equity will be 65%*0.6 = 39%
  • ybyb
    edited January 2011
    basically fold equity is the equity you get from your opponent folding taking into account the likelyhood that they fold (eg. if you have the nuts and cant be outdrawn then your fold equity is 0 as you dont gain anything from them folding)

pot equity is the equity of your hand against theirs if both your hands are flipped on their backs and all the community cards are dealt out