You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

flush vs full house

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi

I was playing this relatively (though not super) tight player in a cash game. I had position on him (i was on the button)

I had KQ suited (hearts)
He raise (three time)

me and the big blind called.

The flop was AA2 (two hearts)

The guy bets third of the pot. (I put him on an Ace, didnot think a full house)

I call, big blind folds.

7 of spades for the turn.

He again bets this time a quarter of the pot (getting massive odds to call)

River 10 (hearts) - I hit the nut flush..

He then bets (quarter of the pot)

....Here is where I am not sure if i did the right thing...

I then raised him essentially half of the pot. (I figured he would pay me off with his trips - he was not that tight)

He then goes all in.. I call as it is not too much more.

He turns over A10 for a full house.

Here is my question. Although i lost the pot im am wondering in the long run am i loosing value not raising on the river in this sort of situation or should just called the bet in situation like this?

Comments

• edited January 2011

Raising the river is 100% ok.

If he is tight, then AT is probably the only hand you are losing to here (assuming that he would not bet flop with 77, or bet flop & turn with TT), and you are beating AK / AQ / AJ.... i.e. you get called by worse (probably) more often than by better = winning play.

Be a bit careful about calling for draws on paired boards, as you can get there and still be behind, but in this spot, given the board texture, and that you are drawing to the  nut flush it's not too bad.

• edited January 2011
    if its not too much more to clal his shove then you should probably shove yourself. as jakally said there arent many boat combos that he can have and most people arent folding strong trips so it looks fine
  • edited January 2011
    Hamster we have played a few tables together so have seen you play, assuming there is only one player on here called Hamster. I am not saying your play here is wrong but as the idea of this forum is to help each other improve I had noticed you do chase draws which if you hit could get you in trouble such as low end str8s and flush draws on paired boards. Hope that gives you some food for thought.

Just thought I would add this which I found after following a link in a post on the forum, take a look see what u think.

" Q Back in the $1/$3 game at Treasure Island. You have $490 in chips, and have just tipped the waitress a $5 chip for your fourth mojito. It’s folded to the player in fourth position, who is clearly a pro as he is wearing both sunglasses and a baseball cap. He raises to $10. The button calls, the small blind folds, and you call $7 more in the big blind with A-2. The flop comes K-8-9. You check, the initial raiser bets $20, and the button folds. You call. The turn is the K. You check, and your foe bets $55. The pot is now $126, and your opponent has over $500 left in his stack. What do you do?

A) FOLD
    B) CALL
    C) RAISE TO $150
    D) RAISE ALL-IN FOR $460

ANALYSIS

Implied odds come in two flavours. There’s the good kind, where you make a small investment on an early street that may pay off big later in the hand. Then there are reverse implied odds, where you make a small investment on an early street that costs you your entire stack on a later one. You should consider both when making a decision.

Here, the implied odds are not as good as they might seem. Sure, the stacks are deep so you could potentially win a big pot. But the downsides are significant. If you hit your draw the board will look very dangerous, and your opponent may not call your bets because he will be scared of flush and full house possibilities.

But more importantly, you may already have the worst hand, and you could be setting yourself up to lose your entire stack on the river. If your opponent (who did call on the button after all) holds one of the several hands that makes a full house, you cannot possibly win the hand and will only be giving him a stack of your money to spend on silly poker paraphernalia.

A
    Your flop call was optimistic but notterrible, but calling or even raising now is a big mistake. Let this hand go.

SUMMARY

Implied odds can be used to justify a call where the pot odds alone would require a fold. However, don’t get carried away. Draw more often when your future decisions will be easy, when there is a lot of money to win, and when your hand will be well concealed. Don’t draw when you could be setting yourself up for a giant loss."