You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Beginner thats need advice!

edited January 2011 in Poker Chat
i'm just starting out and been getting a few tips from friend, but could really do with any advice anyone is willing to offer! cheers!

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Hi mate- Welcome to Sky Poker. You've picked a friendly site and communituy.

You'll need to be a bit more specific though and I'm sure you'll get plenty of help.

Are you talking about what type of game to play? How much to play for?

The absolute basics of poker?

General tips for tournaments?

Suggestions for books you can read?

Over to you...

• edited January 2011
    hi welcome to sky poker

one tip this site lives by is no one listens to orfords poker advice

just a heads up for you
  • edited January 2011
    That's why the majority of poker players lose money...
  • edited January 2011
    i know rich is quick with his stalking bet that`s to quick
  • edited January 2011

Don't expect to win every-time you have the best hand and there are still cards to be dealt out.

If there is a chance someone can improve to a better hand - sometimes, they will do so.

Good luck.
  • edited January 2011
    I need help specifically with 6 player sit and go's and cash games.

which hands to play?

how do you know when to fold after the flop for example??
  • edited January 2011
    and tips on how to read your opponent??
  • edited January 2011
    May as well comment as im the friend whos been helping him, he's unsure of what hands to play so advice on the strength of hands would be good and also the diffence in strength depending on position and the type of game your playing. And help in reading a player :) id do all this myself but am busy packing so :)
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Beginner thats need advice!:
    and tips on how to read your opponent??
    Posted by RichJohno
    lol, just seen this, didnt think youd comment back seen as your so "busy"
  • edited January 2011
    Its simple if I raise I have a massive hand or a big draw and being a Jammy Donut I tend to hit! So just lay them cards down and save your chips! :P
  • edited January 2011
    Its simple if I raise I have a massive hand or a big draw and being a Jammy Donut I tend to hit! So just lay them cards down and save your chips! :P
    Posted by Donut64
    but take the cod with you  />
  • edited January 2011
    iv got some excellent advise for you.... watch me for a month, watch carefuly and take notes.. then if you can do the exact opposite then you should be a winning player
  • edited January 2011
    iv got some excellent advise for you.... watch me for a month, watch carefuly and take notes.. then if you can do the exact opposite then you should be a winning player
    Posted by bigflop1
    Love this BF1
  • edited January 2011
    hi there ,rich johno ,if you need some good advice about starting hands ,pocket pairs ,position bluffing ,everything you need too know, is right here at sky poker ..............just scroll up to HOME PAGE ,(top left off your screen )click that ,and then click on MY SKY POKER ,(it  will scroll down different options for you )the one you are looking for is called POKER SCHOOL ,click on that ,and every thing you need too know is right there ...........enjoy ,,hope this helps ...TEN
  • edited January 2011
    my advice would be to play on the free cash tables for a mnth, get a feel for the game and try and put players on a range of hands. its the cheapest way of "learning" the game and will get you into a routine of what starting hands to play and more importantly which ones you dont!!
  • edited January 2011
    I need help specifically with 6 player sit and go's and cash games. which hands to play? how do you know when to fold after the flop for example??
    Posted by RichJohno
    Hi fella and welcome to the forum.

Take a trip to your local library, before the council closes them down and get your hands on Doyle Brunson's Super System. It gives excellent advice on starting hands and how to deal with them pre & post flop, amongst loads of other things. Someone wrote you have to be taught how use algebra, the same go's for poker. read a few books and read through the poker clinic. There's loads of good advise and diff opinion's all of which will help you develop your style and game,

At first you should probably stay away from cash and hang around the sit & go's. You'll get more experience for less expense.

If starting on the cash and especially on the micro's, i would only play top starting hands and play them aggressively. Don't bluff, you will be called by anyone with a hand that has hit or is drawing. Don't chase cards when drawing it will cost you.

This will all change as you get more confident and your game improves.

Hope this helps a little

Mac

• edited January 2011
    I would stay away from the play money tables, u see lots of winning hands turned over that shouldnt even of been there in the first place, but they are "cos its play money" 

then after seeing them winning time after time, when u get them or similar cr ap,  you give them a go.

the poker school at the top gives some good basics to start off with, top 10 hands, wider range in position stuff.

and the sit and goes get you playing for a set amount of ££ each time.  and other people have laid money out so its better then the free chip tables.
  • edited January 2011
    I would say watch as much TV poker as you can (it certainly helps me). Obviously Sky Poker 865 but also the regular tournaments on other channels. There's always something on. Premier League & World Open are the current weekly shows (let me know if you want me to dig out when they're on - I have them series linked).

Welcome to the site :)

• edited January 2011
    I agree with Gary about staying clear of the play tables. They are really for testing a sites software rather than learning the game. the only things you will learn there is bad habits.

As everyone has said there is a wealth of info on the poker school, you could also check out The Poker Bank site which is asite that teaches the ins and outs of poker in massive detai, including hand rankings, odds charts, different types of plays, cash stratagy, SNG Strat and MTT Strat - loads of other stuffl - its free too, i used it when starting out and cant reccommend it enough