You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bet sizing and how the software works

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Ok I have started trying to pay more attention to bet sizing and I have a few beginners questions regarding bet sizing, and some specific things the sky software does. Apologies for the length of the post but I would really appreciate any clarifications on these.

1.       Is the convention that most people use when discussing poker with regard pre-flop opening raises i.e 3x 4x 5x referring to raise ‘too’ or ‘by’? For example does a 3x raise on a 0.50/1 table mean that the BB has to call an additional £2 or £3 to see the flop? The quick buttons appear to be raise ‘by’ values, but typing in a value is raise ‘too’.

2.       Also when I type a value for a raise after the betting round is started by an opponent the value appears to be a raise ‘too’ value, i.e my opponent has to call the difference to end the round and see the turn card. However when I type a re-raise in a situation where my opening bet has been raised by an opponent, the value I enter is used as an increase to my initial bet, not a raise the bet ‘too’ value as before. A hand on the play money tables where I tried to illustrate this is below. The 26 re-raise on the flop was typed in: Why did my opponent have to call 18 not 10?

3.       And finally, when using the quick buttons to raise via a proportion of the pot after an opponents bet post flop, why are the values used based on the size of the pot as would be following me calling my opponents bet, not the current size of the pot?

Any help would be much appreciated, my head hurts J  

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
MISTER303 Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £594.00
JBJ1955 Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £136.50
RR17 Sit out     
  Your hole cards

RedHouse Call  £1.00 £2.50 £69.00
BIKER3 Fold     
Beast1597 Call  £1.00 £3.50 £94.00
MISTER303 Call  £0.50 £4.00 £593.50
JBJ1955 Check     
Flop

• A
  • A

MISTER303 Check     
JBJ1955 Check     
RedHouse Bet  £8.00 £12.00 £61.00
Beast1597 Fold     
MISTER303 Raise  £16.00 £28.00 £577.50
JBJ1955 Fold     
RedHouse Raise  £26.00 £54.00 £35.00
MISTER303 Call  £18.00 £72.00 £559.50
Turn

MISTER303 Bet  £36.00 £108.00 £523.50
RedHouse Fold     
MISTER303 Muck     
MISTER303 Win  £72.00  £595.50
MISTER303 Return  £36.00 £0.00 £631.50

Comments

• edited January 2011
    i fully agree with every word of this
  • edited January 2011
    1)  If you say I '3xed it' that's 3bb's. So if you were in the BB it would be 2 bbs to call.....

2) Your oppo min raises you, so you bet 8, he rr '8' to £16. You rr '26' to £34 so he has to call from 34-16=£18.

3) When you pot bet you are betting what is 'in the pot'. When you make your raise though, you have to have matched the action already. Hence peoples tendencies to say 'I call and raise'....(which works as a call live ... anyway)  

So if you are playing 0.5/1 6 handed.

btn opens to 3. sb calls. bb wants to raise pot.

so in the pot

3 from btn
    3 from sb
    3 to make the call from the bb. so 9 in the pot.    (edit it's technically '2 to call' so bb will have 3 in front of him as do the btn/sb).
    that makes the pot raise 9. so the BB would make it 12 total.

All I will say is that sky is weird in that the number you enter in the bet slider is the number you raise by rather than the total bet you make. So you want to bet 700 type 700 and it adds the 700 to the 150 you have out there and it's now 850.....

Did this answer your questions?
  • edited January 2011
    Cheers Beaneh,

Clears a few things up in terms of the blinds 3x convention, and the pot sized raised makes more sense now.

I understand that the slider / typing in is a raise 'by' value not a raise 'too' value, guess i'm just surprised it is a raise in relation to my initial bet, not my opponents raise, but just something i'll have to get used to.

Any rule of thumb if you open a round, are raised and want to re-raise the total bet to 3x your opponents raise? what should you type in? That's what i'v been reading is a common play and trying to do.

In the example my re-raise would want to be 48 total, my opponent having to call 32 more.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Bet sizing and how the software works:
    Cheers Beaneh,   Clears a few things up in terms of the blinds 3x convention, and the pot sized raised makes more sense now. I understand that the slider / typing in is a raise 'by' value not a raise 'too' value, guess i'm just surprised it is a raise in relation to my initial bet, not my opponents raise, but just something i'll have to get used to. Any rule of thumb if you open a round, are raised and want to re-raise the total bet to 3x your opponents raise? what should you type in? That's what i'v been reading is a common play and trying to do. In the example my re-raise would want to be 48 total, my opponent having to call 32 more.
    Posted by RedHouse

So if you have 0.5/1 blinds

you open btn to 3, sb re-raises to 9 total. it's 6 for you to call. 

you want to raise him to '27' total. or 3x his raise. 

essentially you have to work out the total amount you want then subtract the amount that you have out in front of you. 

so you would type in 24 I think.

i'm getting confused lol. I often get it wrong whilst i'm playing!

• edited January 2011
    Fair enough that makes sense.

I could't remember if your initial bet was still displayed anywhere when the action gets back to you or you just had to remember.

Thanks for the help.

Time for a beer, rest / kill off a few cells.
  • edited January 2011
    Fair enough that makes sense. I could't remember if your initial bet was still displayed anywhere when the action gets back to you or you just had to remember. Thanks for the help. Time for a beer, rest / kill off a few cells.
    Posted by RedHouse

I think, only think though that you can see the amount you have out infront of you. 

Good luck at the tables.
  • edited January 2011
    More importantly why were you limping with 10 3 off suit??
  • edited January 2011
    i hope that hand example isn't real
  • edited January 2011
    Play money to get an example hand rather than watch the hand history time out for five hours.

Having said that I had to wait almost as long before a hand where someone raised me and didn't shove.
  • edited January 2011
    lol i was just about to take a shot at nl100 too...

damn
  • edited January 2011
    i hope that hand example isn't real
    Posted by pryce6
    lmao
  • edited January 2011
    What you all laughing at?

I hit, thought he was bluffing, asked the question, got an answer, put him on an ace and folded.

Job done. :oD

(Incase anyone is reading the hand only and looking for advice = muck it pre)