You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Value or not?

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I'm curious how you view this river, in light of the previous betting- again, fairly early in a session, not seen the player too much but they seem fairly aggressive, haven't seen any showdown so no idea on range.

Preflop I wanted to see a flop in position before getting overcommitted, didn't think it was worth going crazy to a raise and a reraise where further action would almost guarantee putting me in a coinflip. Dream flop- I figured him to have a big ace, of course he could have KK/QQ which just killed my action, but in reality it's about the best board I could hope for. Quite a dry board too, so chose the flat call option- is raising here an idea?

On turn the check tells me again he most likely has a big ace, or quite possibly again JJ-KK and is trying to pot control. Obviously need to get some money in, flat call again says he's not thrilled with his hand (or he's slowplaying a monster- short of AA, nothing really to worry about).

River bet confuses me though... what do you make of this now? Obviously folding is never happening, but do you flat or raise? What value do you see in reraising- will you get called by inferior hands enough to make it worthwhile? Or is it worth just taking the pot down and not getting greedy (assuming you're even ahead)? Possibilities in my head were a weird backdoor flush or straight (JQspades? unlikely), KK- fits the bill, or perhaps AK. AA or 88 maybe possibilities too. Unsure whether the small bet sizing is strength or weakness, and whether he's trying to get value or leaving himself enough back to fold. I'm inclined to believe it's strength, but it still begs the question whether enough hands I beat will call a raise.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Ralph317 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £3.31
rains06 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £6.80
  Your hole cards

Phaedrus72 Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £28.35
xxxx Raise   £0.90 £1.35 £18.05
DeucesLive Call   £0.90 £2.25 £19.57
5_aces Fold        
Ralph317 Fold        
rains06 Fold        
Phaedrus72 Call   £0.60 £2.85 £27.75
Flop

• A

Phaedrus72 Check        
xxxx Bet   £1.43 £4.28 £16.62
DeucesLive Call   £1.43 £5.71 £18.14
Phaedrus72 Fold        
Turn

xxxx Check        
DeucesLive Bet   £3.30 £9.01 £14.84
xxxx Call   £3.30 £12.31 £13.32
River

• K

xxxx Bet   £6.16 £18.47 £7.16
DeucesLive ????  

Comments

• edited January 2011
    pre flop is perfect 200bb deep

think its an all in tbf.

meh if he had QJss then w/e but for the times we are behind we also have to get max value for the times we are ahead, so shove.

EDIT I don't think he is ever lead bet/folding £6 with £7 behind fwiw.
  • edited January 2011
    Iwould push   put him on ak only hands you are losing too are a bigger set not happening very often would definateley value bet Response to Re: Value or not?:
    pre flop is perfect 200bb deep think its an all in tbf. meh if he had QJss then w/e but for the times we are behind we also have to get max value for the times we are ahead, so shove. EDIT I don't think he is ever lead bet/folding £6 with £7 behind fwiw.
    Posted by scotty77
  • edited January 2011
    All in, i put him on AK

doube he has aces ony re-raising to 90, so would also discount kings. QJ i cant see them still in pot unless like scotty they are spades. really hard to put them on anything other then AK, but depends whether they are competant or not. Based on your reads their aggressive but not any relevant history has to be a all in
  • edited January 2011
    we obvs shove - but i would not be surprised to see him turn over aces after half potting it the whole way.
  • edited January 2011

How is this an easy shove?

C bet flop. - Check call turn. - Value bet river when the draws get there.

There's nothing in the flop and turn play from xxx to suggest to me he had a strong hand before the river.

• edited January 2011
    looks like pocket kings to me
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Value or not?:
    How is this an easy shove? C bet flop. - Check call turn. - Value bet river when the draws get there. There's nothing in the flop and turn play from xxx to suggest to me he had a strong hand before the river.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    We has a set, no?

He has 7 quid back and we are beating him enough times to make a shove profitable. 
  • edited January 2011
    Easy shove, really? That's kinda interesting. I thought a shove was a possibility, but deff not a gimme.

I think if you shove river every time you have a set you'll be quite a sad poker player when you look at bankroll. There's 2 higher sets, a straight and flush out there, so the hand is most definitely vulnerable.

Question is really whether or not I'm ahead of his range more often than not. I'm glad nick said it looked like kings, because that was my biggest suspicion- KK and AK looked by far the most likely, so I'm 50/50 there. Other options are 88/AA/JQs, which I'm 1/2 against. Simply can't see any other hands playing like that- QQ/JJ would have shut down already, 33 is unlikely to be played that passively.

In the end I decided flatting was the better part of valour, and was obviously a little sick that he turned over AK- a river shove would definitely have been called.
  • edited January 2011
    im suprised he checked turn with AK
  • edited January 2011
    My guess is he'd sniffed a rat and gone into check call mode. That, or he thought I was floating the flop and trying to trap- I'd certainly be tempted to try that with an airball. Dunno why he didn't raise in that case, but I guess it was pot control. And by river he's probably pretty sure top 2 is the best hand.
  • ybyb
    edited January 2011
    I'd defo shove seeing as as he only has £7 behind, so you are virtually guaranteed a call if he has top pair or better. If he has more behind its closer seeing as quite a lot got there.
  • edited January 2011
    why didnt you raise him on the flop?
  • edited January 2011
    Easy shove, really? That's kinda interesting. I thought a shove was a possibility, but deff not a gimme. I think if you shove river every time you have a set you'll be quite a sad poker player when you look at bankroll. There's 2 higher sets, a straight and flush out there, so the hand is most definitely vulnerable. Question is really whether or not I'm ahead of his range more often than not. I'm glad nick said it looked like kings, because that was my biggest suspicion- KK and AK looked by far the most likely, so I'm 50/50 there. Other options are 88/AA/JQs, which I'm 1/2 against. Simply can't see any other hands playing like that- QQ/JJ would have shut down already, 33 is unlikely to be played that passively. In the end I decided flatting was the better part of valour, and was obviously a little sick that he turned over AK- a river shove would definitely have been called.
    Posted by DeucesLive

It's bad to generalise like that. For this hand you have a set and are ahead of more hands you are behind to, so it's time to get some value

• edited January 2011
    Am I actually ahead of more hands than I'm behind to? Do you really think that?

What range of hands has villain got, in your eyes? Realistic ones, that is. I think we can rule out playing something like AQ by this point.
  • edited January 2011
    Am I actually ahead of more hands than I'm behind to? Do you really think that? What range of hands has villain got, in your eyes? Realistic ones, that is. I think we can rule out playing something like AQ by this point.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    i could only really put him on two likely hands KK and a strange AK  and i would lean towards KK,
  • edited January 2011
    AK is a far more likely holding than KK btw, just from the numbers.....
  • edited January 2011
    two questions did you slowroll before you went all in on the river?

and did you consider raising flop?

there are pros and cons to raising flop but it's going to be hard to win his stack all the time without inflating the pot on the flop.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Value or not? : i could only really put him on two likely hands KK and a strange AK  and i would lean towards KK,
    Posted by N1CK
    I don't really know what to say, I've deleted twice now already.

You can't just be flatting on the river because omfg he might have rivered a higher set. Just get it in and win moneys off AK/AQ/AJ which are far more likely than KK.

This is nl10 remember...
  • edited January 2011
  • edited January 2011
    AK is a far more likely holding than KK btw, just from the numbers.....
    Posted by scotty77
    yes there are more combos and it makes shoving here ok but all im saying is it really looks like KK
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Value or not? : I don't really know what to say, I've deleted twice now already. You can't just be flatting on the river because omfg he might have rivered a higher set. Just get it in and win moneys off AK/AQ/AJ which are far more likely than KK. This is nl10 remember...
    Posted by pryce6
    im not disputing that and i wouldn't flat the river, all im saying is that do they really 3bet utg raisers from trap 2 with hands like aq aj?
  • edited January 2011
    Surely, without notes, you can't put him on ace king when he plays the turn that way.

• edited January 2011
    As stated im leaning towards AK/KK maybe QJss, he c-bet on flop only being flatted check/calling a double draw is always possible. 

However as stated i think its likley that we are ahead of more than whats beating us at this stage.