You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

No Idea how I should play this post flop

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Not been at the table long and did not have reads on any player
A lot of limping as you can see so I get AK on the button and was hoping to take down the pot here.
XXX had not up to this point played any hands from the SB, and seemed to be tight aggressive but had limpt in a number of times  and raised few 2X when he appeared to pick up a hand.

His called worried me but he did take some time before calling.... strong,weak, floating, set mining or trapping?????
I felt he had TT or maybe JJ doubt Qs, Ks and sure not AA so when this flop came I just went blank with no idea of the best way to move forward..... advise please?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxxSmall blind  £0.10 £0.10 £24.05
hotchipz Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £22.47
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

andybeth Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £19.90
mattyd1 Call  £0.60 £1.50 £10.55
MarkWolves Call  £0.60 £2.10 £11.01
waynecure Raise  £3.00 £5.10 £15.96
xxxCall  £2.90 £8.00 £21.15
hotchipz Fold     
andybeth Fold     
mattyd1 Fold     
MarkWolves Fold     
Flop

• J

xxxCheck     
waynecure Check     
Turn

xxxCheck     
waynecure Check     
River

xxxBet  £6.00 £14.00 £15.15
waynecure Fold     
xxxMuck     
xxxWin  £7.60  £22.75
xxxReturn  £6.00

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Make a delayed c-bet on the turn. 

A set will look to c/r and almost certainly lead a turn for value. I think my A high is good here so yea definatley a bet on the turn for me. 

• edited January 2011
    Bet flop strong, around £6. You've represented a big pair by that preflop bet, so carry it on. If he calls or raises you, no need to get fancy- get out of the way. By checking flop and turn you've basically announced you have AK instead of QQ/KK/AA.

My guess is he had 10's, so you might have ended up with an answer you don't want, but at least you'd have it.
  • edited January 2011
    i like checking flop, to many hands can float, turn dont change much so i would bet that as prolly in front and could get a free sd river
  • edited January 2011
    Problem by checking is you wont find much more about the hand, i probably bet out £5 and then re-evaluate

if you can get a free check and you dont think they are folding to your c bet then checks fine, but need to bet turn to find out whether they are on a draw/pp and capable of letting go? dont mind the check if they are passive and fold on river fine. Its hard to figure out what the opponent has here as you didnt bet other then pre flop, so could be missed flush draw or pp such as 10/10 we will never know
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: No Idea how I should play this post flop:
    Problem by checking is you wont find much more about the hand, i probably bet out £5 and then re-evaluate if you can get a free check and you dont think they are folding to your c bet then checks fine, but need to bet turn to find out whether they are on a draw/pp and capable of letting go? dont mind the check if they are passive and fold on river fine. Its hard to figure out what the opponent has here as you didnt bet other then pre flop, so could be missed flush draw or pp such as 10/10 we will never know
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    i  think there are so many hands he can call the flop with that its pretty hard to naarrow his range down, with two overs and some backdoors i dont think c betting is bad
  • edited January 2011

This hand shows why I hate poker.

It's just too hard :(

Min raise pre with AK and only take an aggressive action post flop if you make 2 pair or better. 

• edited January 2011
    if you like money ignore the advice given in this thread

you played it correct

move on and hit next time
  • edited January 2011
    i agree with zing, ace high only, no need to get cute and force it through, nice starting hand but thats all it is, let it go and move on.   phil
  • edited January 2011
    if you like money ignore the advice given in this thread you played it correct move on and hit next time
    Posted by zing

ok now id agree if it wasnt for the advice above being sound. OP never once makes a bet in the hand for information, EVER. How is this profitable play? Our opponent could have literally any two cards within a range post flop. The board is a pretty nasty one for AKos i admit, however thats why i agree with the check on the flop. However imho i think a bet has to be made on the turn 
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: No Idea how I should play this post flop : ok now id agree if it wasnt for the advice above being sound. OP never once makes a bet in the hand for information, EVER. How is this profitable play? Our opponent could have literally any two cards within a range post flop. The board is a pretty nasty one for AKos i admit, however thats why i agree with the check on the flop. However imho i think a bet has to be made on the turn 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Don thanks for the input and as I posted the hand just after it was played I since have more reads on xxx, based on this I believe your advise to bet the turn was correct as I now suspect he was much weaker than I thought. As he was on my left I found him calling a number of my button raises and always folded to a flop or turn bet so still no info on his range but wider than I presumed in early position.
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks for your input and advise guys, this hand just proves to me how important notes and reads are on players as after some time at the table with him I strongly believe he was much lighter than I give him credit for.
  • edited January 2011
    You could almost raise more pre if not jam lol.

as is, flop is very likely for your opponent to continue as it's easy for him to have hit that board with both pairs+ draws. 

turn is good in that it reduces the combos of hands that beat you whilst stopping a 9x hand from ever really folding.

on the river to call you have to think that he has KQ/Q6 or random unpaired cards. 

OR to shove the river you have to think he's betting a 7 or 8 and will fold to a jam.

So the only way to play this hand differently somewhere along the line would be for you to bet the flop OR the turn. both plays have their pros and cons but the type of opponent you are up against will determine which is better. if they are likely to just fold the flop alot then bet that and bink a diamond or over card if they call. bet fold if they raise obviously. if not then bet the turn and hope that once they have checked twice they will give up and potentially fold better hands than yours.

the reason zing says what he says is that your play completely makes sense and folding the river is not happy times but an easy fold. however there are also a whole raft of other turn and river cards that can come out other than the 7 and 9 and with those we have a whole tonne of chances to both bet for value and as a more credible bluff.