You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pot Odds

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Jw if any 1 would help me?

played poker for about 3 years but only since playing on here ive realised the importance of learning pot odds

could some 1 help me with this if they have got the time?

wud be appretiated

i get the odds of working out the outs i just need help say i got a low pocket pair and some 1 has got to overcards what do i have to work out i know its summet to do wit the odds of u winning anf the amount u have to pay isnt it?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    best way to learn it mate would be to watch a couple of videos on the subject
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Pot Odds:
    best way to learn it mate would be to watch a couple of videos on the subject
    Posted by furber

ok will do mate chers

any chance u could send me a link to a good one?
  • edited January 2011
    thanks for the help
  • edited January 2011
    After looking at the videos on pot odds and implied odds i just wanted to clarify if i have a good idea of it..

so basically u put your oppenent on a hand and if u think ur behind but by gaining a card ur hand will be better then his u work out out the total number of outs u believe u there is minus the cards u have already seen
    then wateva that is total number of outs divided by amount of cards left to see

and a bit that i am confused with say that works out at 3 to 1 is that the odds of getting hand or not getting ur hand??

anything else i need to know?
  • edited January 2011
    Hi Dphillips sounds like you have a good idea now, when they say you are 3-1 means you will win 1 in 4 times

if your having problems with % to make your hand eg. straight on sky click on hot o meter and will give you the % that way its easier to call and work out odds
  • edited January 2011
    ok cheers

is it importatnt to know like pocket 8s to to overcards is like just about a coinflip? what are all the overs

also when u believe u have the best cards are u ment to give them good pott ods and wen u havent wrong pott odds to help bluff?
  • edited January 2011
    Ok it is very helpful to know that 88 is a coin flip with AK/ AQ etc, for this reason i wouldn't recommend you calling all ins with 88 or similar pp unless you feel you need to gamble, this is purely tournament advice

If you put your opponent on a flush draw you have to overbet it and not give them good odds, 1) they may fold so you win 2)you dont want them to outdraw you because you gave them the odds and so on

As for bluffing it really depends on the game its impossible to say there is a set amount etc. this has nothing to do with pot odds, unless you bet little enough for them to call with their a high or bottom pair. sometimes you can use to your advantage if your against a player who will lay a hand down but generally value or 1/2 pot for bluff
  • edited January 2011
    cheers man

so do u need to work out pott odds on every hand and every street or is it just when u put ue behind in a hand?

cont u dnt need to work them out do you?

also say u got a pair shud u work out if u think ur behind say u put him on higher pair

do u work odds of this out? eg 2 pair trips or do u not do this?
  • edited January 2011
    SOME POSTS REMOVED

Hi guys,

I know these are never too popular but I've had to remove some posts by those of you who have linked to external websites. Sky forum posting policies, etc.

Please do refrain from posting to third party sites where possible. If you do need some help with pot odds, the thread which Wayne mentions is very good. You could also email in to the studio on one of our live show nights (Thurs/Sat/Sun) if you have a strategy question which you'd like one of the analysts to tackle for you.

Thanks a lot for your understanding folks.

Dave
  • edited January 2011
    just been watching the wsop main event 2007 and would like to ask this question

player 1 raises with A K
    Player 2 re raises with J 5 suited ( stupid i know )
    Player 1 shoves all in
    player 2 Calls

commentator says he has right price to call ( he had 3 to 1 on his money )

so as he has to live cards

why does he have right price to call?
    is it that1 in 3 chance of winning?
  • edited January 2011
    He is getting pot odds of 3:1 on his call.

If he could see the cards he would know he had a 1 in 3 chance to win which is 2:1 odds.

The 3:1 pot odds are bigger than the 2:1 odds of him winning = profit over the long run.

If you think of the odds values a £1 it makes more sense.

For every three bets in the long run he will loose 2 = - £2, and win one = + £3, giving him a £1 profit for every three times he makes this same play.
  • edited January 2011
    thought so cheers again m8

also was it you who said u read the dan harrington book?

if so is this the best book for odds and plays etc?

o the pot odds how do u work them out quick enuf on sky poker with the timer?
  • edited January 2011
    I'v only read vol.1 so far, working my way through vol.2 which is more about plays than the maths and hand selection which is in the first one - good for basics (i'v only been playing four months myself) depends how much you already know.

Someone else who has played you is prob better to answer that. Like I say i'm a new player I'm just a geek and the maths is what I like about the game lol.
  • edited January 2011
    thought so cheers again m8 also was it you who said u read the dan harrington book? if so is this the best book for odds and plays etc? o the pot odds how do u work them out quick enuf on sky poker with the timer?
    Posted by DPhillips
    Right, let's see if I can nail this subject for you :)

Example 1 - CALCULATING POT ODDS

We assume our opponent has Kh-Qh on a a Qd 5c 4d flop. We have Ac-Kc.

Step 1: Count how many outs we have

We've got three aces as well as running J-T for a straight. The running cards are a relatively small percentage shot, so we'll ignore those in a practical situation.

How many outs do we have? Three. NOT five as the two remaining kings make our opponent two pair.

Step 2: Applying the Rule of Four and Two
    Probably the most important bit of poker maths to remember.

Take how many outs you have and multiply it by four if you're on the flop or two if you're on the turn. This gives you a rough percentage of how many times you'll win this pot.

In our example we have 3 outs x 4 = 12%. That means the opponent wins roughly 88% (chops and runners ignored).

Step 3: Turning the percentage into pot odds.
    In the 88/12 shot, we will win roughly one in every seven times. That makes us a 6/1 underdog.

Step 4: Am I getting the right odds?
    Now to looking at the pot size. Let's say the pot is at 4,000 and the opponent moves all in for his last 2,000. We have him covered. The pot now offers us 6,000 - 4k already in there PLUS the 2k all in. We have to call 2,000 to win 6,000 whichi is a 3/1 bet. We don't have the right pot odds here (you'd need 25% for this to be a correct mathematical call) so you should fold.

EXAMPLE 2: All of that done much quicker.

Set-up. We think our opponent has Ad-Ac on a 9h-8h-7h flop. We have Ah-Ts.

We have 9 hearts to make a flush plus six other straightening cards - Jacks or Sixes. Be careful not to count the Jh and 6h twice. That means we have 15 outs. Aces are not an out for us here as it makes our opponent a set.

15 x 4 = 60%

Pot from preflop action = 5,500.
    Villain moves all in for 5,000.
    Our stack = 7,400.

Do we have the right odds?

Pot offered = 10,500. (5,500 + 5,000)
    Our call = 5,000.

Pot odds: 10.5 v 5 or 2.1 v 1. We EASILY have the right odds to call here. We'd need to be a 6/4 underdog before we should even contemplate a fold. Get your money in already!

I hope this helps!
    Sky Dave

• edited January 2011
    In regards to pot odds, work it out yourself by dividing how much to call into whats in the middle

if you want to make sure your getting correct odds eg. flush etc use the hot-o-meter as this gives you the percentage so from this you should be able to simplify

eg. 20% = 4-1
    25%=3-1

and so on, personally someone else could probably explain it better but thats the simpliest way i know
  • edited January 2011
    Oh, and you normally only tend to figure out pot odds when you're behind - you're assuming you've got the best hand and then have to wonder if you have enough outs to warrant taking a shot at winning the hand.
  • edited January 2011
    . Step 3: Turning the percentage into pot odds. In the 84/16 shot, we will win roughly one in every six times. That makes us a 6/1 underdog.
    Always struggle  with this bit - doesn't that make you a 5/1 underdog ??
  • edited January 2011
    Oh and step 1 - don't we just have 3 outs (3 remaining aces) ??
  • edited January 2011
    Oh and step 1 - don't we just have 3 outs (3 remaining aces) ??
    Posted by clubhammer

Spot on, Clubhammer. That'll learn me for trying to post strategy while multitasking :) Thanks for the spot.
  • edited January 2011
    . Step 3: Turning the percentage into pot odds. In the 84/16 shot, we will win roughly one in every six times. That makes us a 6/1 underdog. Always struggle  with this bit - doesn't that make you a 5/1 underdog ??
    Posted by clubhammer
    Assuming we use the correct numbers (88:12, not 84: 16) we figure it out like this:

Take the percentage and make it into a fraction. So I win 12/100 but we can simplify this to 1.2/10 or around 1/8.3

NOTE: Odds is success to failure.

I will succeed 1 time and fail 8.3 so the odds = 1:7.3

How did I get 7.3? I take the total and subtract the number of times I will succeed. In this case it's 8.3 - 1 = 7.3.

So yes, I was wrong on that one too. Not that I am blaming multitasking for that, I simply forgot basic maths!
  • edited January 2011
    cheers dave
    helps alot

like to ask tho..

Pot offered = 10,500. (5,500 + 5,000)
    Our call = 5,000.

Pot odds: 10.5 v 5 or 2.1 v 1. We EASILY have the right odds to call here. We'd need to be a 6/4 underdog before we should even contemplate a fold. Get your money in already

in chip terms what wud it have to be to warrant a fod?

this is where bit confused im 60 percent fav to make my hand against the aces
    so less then 6/4 on my money

300 to win another 450 wud also be a call yh?
  • edited January 2011
    Step 2: Applying the Rule of Four and Two Probably the most important bit of poker maths to remember. Take how many outs you have and multiply it by four if you're on the flop or two if you're on the turn. This gives you a rough percentage of how many times you'll win this pot. In our example we have 3 outs x 4 = 12%. That means the opponent wins roughly 88% (chops and runners ignored).
    I'd just like to say thanks for explaining this rule.

I've recently started playing poker more seriously and learning about pot odds.  However, I used to think that you counted how many outs you had and then multiplied it by two, regardless of whether you were on the flop or turn.  It was only the other night when I was watching the Poker League on Channel 4 in bed that I spotted something: one of the guy's percentage of winning after the flop was 14% and after the turn it went down to 7% (he never hit anything on the turn), so I started to wonder whether you are supposed to multiply your outs by four on the flop and then half it on the turn if you haven't hit any of your outs.

Thanks once again as I've probably folded a potentially decent hand by miscalculating my percentage of winning, but you live and learn I suppose, lol.
  • edited January 2011
    Just remember that it's only outs x 4 if you are calculating your chances of hitting on either the turn or river, i.e if you are calling an all-in on the flop or believe you will see the river card for free.

If you are working out if you can call a bet on the flop, and it is likely you will be faced with a further bet on the turn should you miss, then to compare your chances of winning to the pot odds offered, you still need to use outs x 2, i.e your percentage of hitting on the turn card only.

Hope that makes sense :)