You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

People continuously sitting 'AWAY' in Tournaments

edited January 2011 in Poker Chat
I have only been playing here for 2 weeks yet Im sick to death already of people continuosly sitting away while playing a tournament. For example I was on a table with 4 people sitting away, how the hell am I supposed to play/progress in that instance.

There should be a time limit to this, say if your sat away for 5 hands in a tournament then you should be booted from the room!

People pay money to enter tournaments so why sit away, you know what time your tournament is, you know what time your breaks are so during a tournament there is no need to have an'AWAY' option. You just lose your money if you dont wanna play or miss the tournament start

Why should I pay money to enter a tournament and get no play because of the idiots that sit away all the time.

If this isnt address soon I will take my business and play else where, I know of other peole sick of this aswell

SKY POKER SORT IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Of course they should be allowed to, what's the difference between sitting as away, and folding every hand?

Apart from it's quicker.

Do you complain when you find a tight player who keeps on folding????

What makes you think it would be any different if you played elsewhere?
  • edited January 2011

OK then expalin to me why they need to sit away?

• edited January 2011
    Im with dohhhh, on this response

if there away treat them as if their not there until they sit back in, try to nick their blinds aswell if you can
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: People continuously sitting 'AWAY' in Tournaments:
    OK then expalin to me why they need to sit away?
    Posted by YouKnowsIt
    1) reg for tournament earlier but delayed at work/traffic.
    2) do not wish to play the 1st few levels of a MTT out of CHOICE due to the maniac plays.
    3) Multi tabling and focusing on other tables/games which are more crucial.
    4) Replying to threads on the forum so no time to play any hands.
    5) Forgot they reg'd or qualified for tournament.
    6) letting people know they are 'away' on holiday.

There is half a dozen for you......
    If you can not 'out play' an away player, then it is time to reevaluate your game IMO. Good luck at the tables.

Please tell me these are not free rolls BTW.   
  • edited January 2011
    No not free rolls

In response to all your points, dont register if your not there to play, not a priority for you, if sat out for more that 5 hands you lose your table place, end of.

whats the point of tournament play if they dont play, its frustrating for players that actually want to play.

and in response to point 2, what if everyone thought that way and sat out?

at the end of the day the away option should not be valid if you are away for 5 hands, maybe 10 and you should be removed from the tournament
  • edited January 2011
    lol u must be really bad to not beat players who are away

people pay for their buy in so they can use it how they like if they choose to sit out, i personally dont and love to play on a table with at least 1 away as its near enough free chips and can be used to your advantage
  • edited January 2011
    No not free rolls In response to all your points, dont register if your not there to play, not a priority for you, if sat out for more that 5 hands you lose your table place, end of. whats the point of tournament play if they dont play, its frustrating for players that actually want to play. and in response to point 2, what if everyone thought that way and sat out? at the end of the day the away option should not be valid if you are away for 5 hands, maybe 10 and you should be removed from the tournament
    Posted by YouKnowsIt
    So you are saying that if a player reg'd for say the £55 primo but for one reason another missed the first 10 hands, which would be all in the 1st level of play, they should just be 'removed' from the tournament?? Thus losing their buy in and their chance to play.
    Sorry, but I totally disagree with your point of view on this. If this honestly infuriates you too much then I suggest that you do not play MTT's and maybe play H/U SnG's to ensure you get the play that you desire.
    Good luck at the tables.
  • edited January 2011
    If I spent so much on a buy in I would make sure I was there, if not its their own fault!
    I was reffering to the smaller tournament buy ins, I should have made that a bit more clear!
    I have actually turned to cash games now cause the tournament away option has just got to me now, like I said if you wanna stay sat away, dont play/enter, it really gets to me, you wouldnt have it in live tournaments, just cause its online it should be no different
  • edited January 2011
    you wouldnt have it in live tournaments, just cause its online it should be no different

i think you will find you do have this in live tournaments people can get up from the table and walk around do what they want and come back when they want they will just carry on to be blinded as if they were sat there no one can tell you what to do with YOUR money
  • edited January 2011

People should not have to justify why they should be allowed to do something within the rules. It's their prerogative.

If you're saying the rules should be changed, then the burden of proof is on yourself, to justify why they shouldn't be allowed to do it - you haven't come up with 1 good reason so far.

You still haven't answered what the difference is between an away player, and a player who is sat there, but folds every hand. ????

Can you answer that? Is 1 ok, and the other isn't? - if so, why is this the case?

• ybyb
    edited January 2011
    You sir are an idiot.

Who do you think you are to tell someone how to play with their own money?

• edited January 2011
    You sir are an idiot. Who do you think you are to tell someone how to play with their own money?
    Posted by yb
    think he knows it? 

taxi for hurst ;[
  • edited January 2011

Maxally has it spot on.

Omg did i actually say that!

• edited January 2011
    Sometimes people sit out because they are too busy on the forum responding to threads about why people sit out...
  • edited January 2011
    This gets me thinking what would happen if all 6 players in an mtt sat out at the same time??

Do you think they would make the cash bubble before the blinds got over there starting stacks????
  • edited January 2011
    1. you pay your money so you can do what you want, sit and play or be "away".
    2. "away" function helps in many different ways.
    i. tilt your opponent because he hates to see the "away" function
    ii. decides his stomach hurts an needs 10 mins of "private" time to relieve said pressure "rollyeyes"
    iii. might have kids and has to whoop them upside the head with the naughty hammer because they will not sleep.
    iv. just doesn't like the first level of play because they get sucked into losing chips from "luckbox's"
    v. someone just turned up at his/her door and won't leave them alone hence why they are "away"

3. ways to deal with the elusive "away" player
    i. min raise - whoop you just stole there blind and they folded :O
    ii. remember no phear when playing an "away" player they are so scared they will fold immediately when someone shows strength of any kind.
    iii. if you are scared of an away player "call" and then throw a sneaky min raise when they are not looking it will throw them right off but they WILL fold i promise.

4. what would you prefer ? an away player or a maniac ALWAYS re raising you and taking all your chips because you are scared to death of losing your chips ?.

5. end of the day people pay their money to play a tournament, if a person is "away" they have a reason stop getting so up tight about it and just play your game against the "active" players at your table these "away" players will blind out eventually and you can have some easy laddered places as they will not last the tournament.
  • edited January 2011

out of boredom i sharkscoped him.

he played the 50 quid freeroll at like midnite with 300 runners

day before he played another freeroll about 8/9pm with 1100 runners.

so basically he is having a corinary over people being "away" in "freerolls"

• edited January 2011

I've been in poker a very long time, but every day I still see things which shock me, amaze me, & make my eyes bleed. 

Incred thread. Ends, as so many do, with "SKY POKER SORT IT OUT". Quite so, Sir, quite so. Sky Poker will change the universal Rules of Poker just for you. 

And yet we've seen a hundred or more similar threads. Whatever next? - people complaining that they can't play on Sky Poker because "the players are so bad". Oh, wait..... 

PS - I am frequently one of the "idiots who sit out". 

[  ] I sure feel guilty about that. 

PPS - Using the same logic, when we visit the Cinema, must we watch the Film? If I go to a Football match, will I be lambasted if I arrive late, or leave early?   

Peeps can & do give me grief over all sorts of things, sometimes deservedly, but if anyone wants to tell me how I should spend my money, gg them! 

PPPS - The Voting says it all! The most one-sided Vote ever on Sky Community?

• edited January 2011
    I've been in poker a very long time, but every day I still see things which shock me, amaze me, & make my eyes bleed.  Incred thread. Ends, as so many do, with "SKY POKER SORT IT OUT". Quite so, Sir, quite so. Sky Poker will change the universal Rules of Poker just for you.  And yet we've seen a hundred or more similar threads. Whatever next? - people complaining that they can't play on Sky Poker because "the players are so bad". Oh, wait.....  PS - I am frequently one of the "idiots who sit out".  [  ] I sure feel guilty about that.  PPS - Using the same logic, when we visit the Cinema, must we watch the Film? If I go to a Football match, will I be lambasted if I arrive late, or leave early?    Peeps can & do give me grief over all sorts of things, sometimes deservedly, but if anyone wants to tell me how I should spend my money, gg them!  PPPS - The Voting says it all! The most one-sided Vote ever on Sky Community?
    Posted by Tikay10
    LMAO    poor guy,    your obv correct but still     Poor guy

If it makes him feel any better he should know that we have all at some point wished we said nothing.

Peter
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: People continuously sitting 'AWAY' in Tournaments : LMAO    poor guy,    your obv correct but still     Poor guy If it makes him feel any better he should know that we have all at some point wished we said nothing. Peter
    Posted by NODEAL
    You may have a point there, Peter, & I need to think about that.

I think it (my response) boils down to 2 things.

1) We see that line - "SKY POKER SORT IT OUT" again & again. It never occurs to the authors to wonder if, in fact, Sky Poker have done anything wrong, or improper, nor does it occur to them to look in the mirror.  

2) He's allowed to refer to myself, & players like me, as "idiots". He - & believe me, many many others - want to suggest Sky Poker need to "SORT IT OUT", & they can refer to me as an idiot, or question my honesty & integrity, but I don't have the right to reply, even if it's done politely? How's that work, then? 

You may not agree, but it's an interesting spot, eh? Customer Cooey-Wooey is my thing, believe me, I'm good at it, too, but I'm not sure it's right that peeps can lob insults at me all day & night, & I am not allowed to reply!

Even so, you make a fair point. Maybe.

I'm off for a ponder.
  • edited January 2011
    PPPS - The Voting says it all! The most one-sided Vote ever on Sky Community?
    Posted by Tikay10
    And one of the 'No' votes is in error because I misread so chose the wrong option. DOH!

• edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: People continuously sitting 'AWAY' in Tournaments : And one of the 'No' votes is in error because I misread so chose the wrong option . DOH!
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    +1. I should learn to read things more carefully.....

Anyway, gotta go 'cos the President of Nigeria wants my bank details for someting or other. Twenty million quid just for my bank details, can't go wrong!!!!!!
  • edited January 2011
    Could this be another "Snowball Fiasco" thread building?

I miss that thread....
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: People continuously sitting 'AWAY' in Tournaments : You may have a point there, Peter, & I need to think about that. I think it (my response) boils down to 2 things. 1) We see that line - "SKY POKER SORT IT OUT" again & again. It never occurs to the authors to wonder if, in fact, Sky Poker have done anything wrong, or improper, nor does it occur to them to look in the mirror.   2) He's allowed to refer to myself, & players like me, as "idiots". He - & believe me, many many others - want to suggest Sky Poker need to "SORT IT OUT", & they can refer to me as an idiot, or question my honesty & integrity, but I don't have the right to reply, even if it's done politely? How's that work, then?  You may not agree, but it's an interesting spot, eh? Customer Cooey-Wooey is my thing, believe me, I'm good at it, too, but I'm not sure it's right that peeps can lob insults at me all day & night, & I am not allowed to reply! Even so, you make a fair point. Maybe. I'm off for a ponder.
    Posted by Tikay10
    On the contrary tikay,     Maybe you read too much into my sympathy for this guy,   To be honest,  I feel embarressed for him,   I totally agree with everything that you said above.     your reply to him was refreshingly non corporate and was obviously how you felt. Iam sure  that is the reason you are the most popular presenter on sky.

What I said wasnt a dig at you,     just plain old fashiond pity for him

peter
  • edited January 2011
    Im normally sat out cause computer has frozen !
  • edited January 2011
    Im normally sat out cause computer has frozen !
    Posted by PUCPOUND
    This is a very common reason for sit outs

I have been in a tournament on another site which was a HU knockout and 2 people who were sitting out got drawn against each other - that took a long time to end

For anyone that wonders (and can't work it out logically) what happens is that the big blind always wins the small blind - eventually the small blind becomes larger than the stack so both players go all in; after that it ends pretty quickly.
  • edited January 2011

''PPPS - The Voting says it all! The most one-sided Vote ever on Sky Community?''

You must be forgetting that 'who is the luckiest player on Sky Poker? ' poll. I think Philluckbox got 110 % (roughly) of the votes polled in that one!!
  • edited January 2011
    Has this guy been owned out of the thread now.. he hasn't responded for ages
  • edited January 2011
    Personally i like playing on a table where people are sat out.. They give me free chips and make it an easier game to play when your 4 or 5 handed so i have no idea what this guys problem is.

Im tired of seeing people complaining about this site, of course its not perfect and probably never will be but progress is being made to really cater for our needs and people need to realise this.

If you don't like it DONT PLAY ON THE SITE. Go and moan somewhere else, people like tikay put a hell of a lot of work into making sky poker a better place and people like show a complete lack of respect. Maybe you should be thanking tikay, you probably wouldnt be playing in half your tournaments if it wasnt for him.

Think about what your saying before you speak, next time just save yourself the embarassment...