You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SHOULD I GIVE UP POKER WHILE GIVING UP SMOKING?

edited January 2011 in Poker Chat
Yes after smoking for over 40 years I am determined to quit and I am now on my 6th nicotine free day.

But it is not easy. Apart from constantly eating and inability to sleep through a night, I am playing some terrible poker, having no patience with the game at all.

It would probably be a good idea to forget poker and go back to driving my coach for a bit, but that is going to be a major test of my not smoking, as it is almost second nature to light up on pulling in to a motorway services ! And I am not sure if I am ready for that yet.

And I need to qualify for both Luton and the Vegas final soon.

Any tips from successful ex smokers welcomed !

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I thought it was the law that all coach drivers had to smoke?
  • edited January 2011

Ah yes, the first six dys was the worst for me, so don't give up giving up now

• edited January 2011
    In Response to SHOULD I GIVE UP POKER WHILE GIVING UP SMOKING?:
    Yes after smoking for over 40 years I am determined to quit and I am now on my 6th nicotine free day. But it is not easy. Apart from constantly eating and inability to sleep through a night, I am playing some terrible poker, having no patience with the game at all. It would probably be a good idea to forget poker and go back to driving my coach for a bit, but that is going to be a major test of my not smoking, as it is almost second nature to light up on pulling in to a motorway services ! And I am not sure if I am ready for that yet. And I need to qualify for both Luton and the Vegas final soon. Any tips from successful ex smokers welcomed !
    Posted by penguin7
    Hi Penguin

Good luck.

I gave up December 2009, and apart from one Hamlet during the summer, have managed to avoid the ciggies.

I actually found poker good to take my mind of things. 

Also, for the first 4 weeks or so, avoided things that I associated with smoking ( Pubs, Going out for meals etc )

After that, I got a non-smoking friend of mine to remind me not to pop outside when other friends were.

Not sure what they cost these days, but I was on 20+ a day, so have saved a fortune ( well - paid Sky Poker a fortune ! )

Good luck sir

• edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: SHOULD I GIVE UP POKER WHILE GIVING UP SMOKING?:
    I thought it was the law that all coach drivers had to smoke?
    Posted by SoLack
    Very true but I think the law also says we should wear white socks with our black shoes, have a bus drivers badge on our belts and our keys attached to us by a chain.

I fail with all of these but if I do succeed in giving up smoking I am sure I can develop a beer belly of the required proportions !
  • edited January 2011
    Im planning on giving up but need something to do with my hands and apart from the obvious i reckon ill be playin a lot more poker while i quit. But good luck with it i know how hard it is :)
  • edited January 2011

Good luck in your quest Tony!

• edited January 2011
    Good luck to you sir.
    I know how hard it is to give up...and how hard it is to keep the weight from piling on. Managed the first but not the second!!!!
    Sugar free lollipops for the win!
  • edited January 2011

I was a 20+ a day man for 20 years and gave up 3 years ago. From what I remember the first 10 days were the hardest and then it starts to get easier, so you are nearly there. Whatever you do don't fall into the trap of I will just have one. You can't just have 1. Good Luck.
  • edited January 2011
    6 days without a ciggie!! after 40 years wow great achievement mate.
    Giving up the cigs is extremely difficult after smoking for so long.I myself gave up 3 months ago after smoking for 25 years in the end i was on 40 a day,i used nicorette gum which helped me,I know how hard it is but trust me it will get better,
    As for the pokers all i can say is that it did affect me,i carried on playing as normal,but was getting frustrated and not playing well at all for the first few weeks of not smoking,really amazing how much nicotine affects you,
    Good luck with it anyway mate Fin.

• edited January 2011
    Whats the best substitute for the ciggs? I tried an inhaler but it dosnt really work but want to give up.
    Sorry i know this isnt poker related but any info would be great. Good luck on giving up penguin, you got further than me mate.
  • edited January 2011
    I pack the cigs in on Tuesday.

Made myself the date cos I knew it wouldn't work over Xmas and knew tomorrow is Derby Day (LFC v EFC).

Made the decision when my daughter drew me a poster saying

' Daddy , I don't want you to die, stop smoking!'
  • edited January 2011
    I think you should, Tony. Give the rest of us a chance. Good luck. Filthy habit.
  • edited January 2011
    Use 4mg nicotine gum - it takes the edge off and does not damage your health!!

Well until they report in 30 years time that Nicotine gum causes all sorts of oral thrush that is......
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks for all your support guys ! I have been on 40 a day for years. Just think I could pay my own way to Vegas a few times with all that money I have spent!

Job done tonight though, cruised through to Vegas semi and then crept in to qualify for Luton as well.

Its tough but I got to stick with it, only been less than a week but I am feeling better for it already.

Good luck to anyone else giving it a go.

• edited January 2011
    I've got an electric cig..and asked my daughter to me a few more pictures

Gonna take the pics to work and use them to remind me why I'm here....
  • edited January 2011
    I've never smoked Tony, so hats off to you mate, it must be hell.

They do say the first 7 days are the worst.  Keep it up 
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to SHOULD I GIVE UP POKER WHILE GIVING UP SMOKING?:
    Yes after smoking for over 40 years I am determined to quit and I am now on my 6th nicotine free day. But it is not easy. Apart from constantly eating and inability to sleep through a night, I am playing some terrible poker, having no patience with the game at all. It would probably be a good idea to forget poker and go back to driving my coach for a bit, but that is going to be a major test of my not smoking, as it is almost second nature to light up on pulling in to a motorway services ! And I am not sure if I am ready for that yet. And I need to qualify for both Luton and the Vegas final soon. Any tips from successful ex smokers welcomed !
    Posted by penguin7
    The only successful way to give up smoking is to change your habbits - YES - Smoking is a habbit I hear you say, but what you need to do is, change things that usually lead to having a smoke.

Easy things to look out for:
    If stopping your coach usually leads to having a ciggy, then you need to find something else to do and make a habbit of it - for instance, go into the service station instead of lighting up and buy yourself a packet of chewing gum. Buy yourself a paper to read at your next stop.

OH - I'm sure the craving will start as soon as you set off again - but thats what the chewing gums for.

Read the headlines whilst your in the sevice station, but don't read the rest and whilst your driving, think of all things that might be in the paper that you just bought, this will arrouse your curiosity and inhibit your desire for a smoke - whats in the sports section? whats on page 3? I wonder what my horroscope says? etc etc. The next thing you know, looking in the paper at your next stop will be a bigger priority than smoking.

You will soon find yourself opening up the paper at your next stop and having a look before you think of lighting up.

If you usually have a smoke after a cup of tea or coffee at a certain times of the day, then stop drinking it and find something else to do instead. Buy a poker magazine and read that instead.

Do we have a ciggy during the break when we play poker?
    If so, put yourself a little treat in the fridge ready for that 5min break and have that instead - Don't worry about putting on a little weight, its healthier than smoking according to my doctor and its amazing how much we want to keep fit and exercise once we have stopped smoking.

Most importantly - Remember this..................

Smoking is a habbit...................but its our habbits that continue to make us smoke.

Good Luck.

• edited January 2011
    Interesting thread.

I have tried to give up smoking countless times.  I`m going to have another go this Monday.  Personally, I really think it would be good for me to give up poker for a couple of weeks while trying to pack in the cigs.  Its all about association.  When I started playing cards, it was 3 card brag in the pub, this would lead to late lockins and all the beer and cigs that go with that.
    I think it is for that reason that I have associated cards, beer, cigs together.  They all go hand in hand.  It is a vicious circle, which for me has transferred online.  When I play poker, I feel I need a beer, or many.  This then really makes me want to smoke.
    I really believe, if I didnt play poker, then giving up smoking would be so much easier, hence cutting down on beer intake would also be much easier.
    Taking things that make you feel better/healthier while giving up is also good, actimel drinks, and berocca every day invigorate you.
    Also, as for patches.  They are good.  I use the 24hr patches, but will take them off at night before bed, as the dreams they produce are insane.  Its like having a second life while you are sleeping.  Then put on a new one as soon as you wake up.

Good luck
  • edited January 2011
    hi Tony ,i gave up for 2 months, 4 years ago ,it was hell for the first 2 weeks ,cravings for a f ag after food ,breaktimes in work ,having a pint ,cup of tea in the mornings etc etc .......was i craving for a fa g ,or was it just a habit of my every day life ?most of the cravings that you get are habits ,ive smoked since i was 12,im 40 now and im still smoking ,,,,like i said i did give up for 2 months,my biggest downfall was the pub ,it got me everytime ,,,,,,so this time ,i stayed well away ,and after 2 weeks of hell ,i was cured ,no more cravings ,i went down the pub ,no problem at all ,i was over it ,i couldn't believe it ,i had actually done it ......then my downfall came ,i was down the pub ,wetting the baby's head ,and my m8 offered me a cigar ,,,,,,i thought about it ,then i thought about it again,then i came too the conclusion that its a cigar, its not a cigarette,i will be fine ,i will just have the one and be done with it ,later that night after a few beers ,i smoked ALLl the cigars in the pub ,and the rest is history ,,im back smoking ,and im so, so annoyed with myself ,because the first time in my life fags did not have a hold on me,i could go outside the pub ,all my m8s there smoking ,and i had no temptation to have one ,so ,stick with it Tony ,stay away from habits in ur life ,and do the 2 weeks ,trust me ,you will get over it ,and remember ,cigars are exactly the same as fags ,don't do what i did :(........gl m8
  • edited January 2011

Hi Tony
    I smoked for over 30 years about 20 a day my weight was around 13 stone. I replaced cigs with gum 1st but didn't really get on with this so I switched to nicotine Lozenges and am now addicted to them lol but I guess its better than smoking. I stopped around 5 .5 years ago and my weight gradually increased to max 18 stone. I'm now going to the Gym 3 times a week and my weight is gradually going down lost around a stone and half so far but aim to get back to my fighting weight of 13 stone, I also found when smoking I smoked more while on the puter not even realising how many I was getting through sometimes 30 a day so I layed off gaming online for a while, the craving was certainly worse when gaming. A  pack of lozenges costs around £12 and lasts me around 10 days so miles cheaper than smoking and far less harmful so I would recommend these if you feel the need for a replacement. The other good thing is you can have your fix anywhere without having to stand outside in the rain/cold at the pub or in public places.
    Best of luck with it mate I know how hard it can be and yes I still fancy a cig 5.5 years on.

Ray

• edited January 2011
    Hi Penguin
    After reading this thread the other day it really gave me the incentive to try and give up myself. I have smoked since I was 15 and didn't think I could give up. After reading how many you smoked a day and for how many years it made me think maybe I could!
    I am now on my 6th smoke free day!!!!!!!!!!
    I am using the 24 hour patches, yes the dreams are strange but they stop me wanting that first smoke in the morning.
    Really glad I read your post, big thank you
    Lisa xxx
  • edited January 2011
    personally i got more chance of giving up poker and carry on smoking the way im playing!! i cant comment really as a hardened smoker i cant play and not smoke at the same time, worse than that i need a glass of red when playing to. picture of health me!!
  • edited January 2011

And I get such a bad rap on this forum for being an alcoholic takeaway addict!!!

This is where the real addiction lies!!!

Never had 1 in my life, and I don't get mardy if I don't have a beer or a spring roll every half an hour!!!

I can go literally hours without either!!!!

IT'S EASY!!!!!!!!! DONT BUY THEM !!!!!
  • edited January 2011
    personally i got more chance of giving up poker and carry on smoking the way im playing!! i cant comment really as a hardened smoker i cant play and not smoke at the same time, worse than that i need a glass of red when playing to. picture of health me!!
    Posted by pod1
    I can totally relate to the first part of this! I reckon there are enough of us to have a self help group! It's also one of the underlining factors why I'm going to cut down the online game and play live more ...or get off my b_utt ...:-)
  • edited January 2011
    Hi Tony

Just been reading through this thread. I was a smoker although not quite on the level of 40 a day. I'd do 15-20 a day & gave up back in September. I'd tried countless times before but somehow this time was different. I think in the back of my mind I knew that if I was to quit it was now or never.

I went off to the doctor & got prescribed a 6 week course of patches which worked for me. The first 10 days were the hardest & as Trev said it's all about breaking the habit. I did have a couple of cigs at our works Christmas do but other than that I haven't touched one since. I know I could easily slip back into it but the point is that I've now come this far & tbh I actually don't want to smoke any more.

The one thing to remember though is that if you really want to quit then you will do. It might not necessarily be on this occasion so never quit trying to quit if that's what you want to do.

Jay
  • edited January 2011
    And I get such a bad rap on this forum for being an alcoholic takeaway addict!!! This is where the real addiction lies!!! Never had 1 in my life, and I don't get mardy if I don't have a beer or a spring roll every half an hour!!! I can go literally hours without either!!!! IT'S EASY!!!!!!!!! DONT BUY THEM !!!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Lol why didn't we all think of that!!
  • edited January 2011

Simplicity is genius Miss Mooo!!!!!

You don't need to go searching for the answers, they're right there in front of you.

Went out on the ale with my cousin one friday night. Asked if his missus was coming.

He said, "she's not sure, because she's trying to stop smoking, and she doesn't want to be out and about around smokers"

Met him, and she was with him, she said she "would be alright"

An hour later she's got munk on, wants to go home, and wants him to go with her. Thats ridic in itself.....

Half hour after that, she caves in, pulls a pack of cigs out her handbag and has one!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean come on.....How F*in stupid can you be bringing them out with ya.

I'm going on hunger strike for 3 weeks, then gonna walk into a chinese all u can eat for free, and just have a sniff around.

Get real ppl!!!

Simplicity ftw ;)

• edited January 2011
    Thanks for all your support guys ! I have been on 40 a day for years. Just think I could pay my own way to Vegas a few times with all that money I have spent! Job done tonight though, cruised through to Vegas semi and then crept in to qualify for Luton as well. Its tough but I got to stick with it, only been less than a week but I am feeling better for it already. Good luck to anyone else giving it a go.  
    Posted by penguin7
    I,ve been trying recently , without any nicotene replacements. i keep lasting about 2 or 3 days then start again.

like yourself my poker has suffered as a result as i seem to lose patience, but am gonna try again this week.

One of my problems is that i do like to smoke can nabis some times and always find this helps me focus much better on my game,

But as you say, the money you can save is massive, not to mention health reasons, so GL with it
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: SHOULD I GIVE UP POKER WHILE GIVING UP SMOKING? : Lol why didn't we all think of that!!
    Posted by MADMOO
    cos its easy to say it specially a non smoker   gl penquin 
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: SHOULD I GIVE UP POKER WHILE GIVING UP SMOKING? : I,ve been trying recently , without any nicotene replacements. i keep lasting about 2 or 3 days then start again. like yourself my poker has suffered as a result as i seem to lose patience, but am gonna try again this week. One of my problems is that i do like to smoke can nabis some times and always find this helps me focus much better on my game, But as you say, the money you can save is massive, not to mention health reasons, so GL with it
    Posted by MP33
    If you are serious about giving up give the 24 hour patches a go. I smoked 20+ a day, tried giving up with no nicotine replacement lasted 3 hours!!
    The patches really stop the craving and only cost £7.99 for a weeks supply. I have lasted a week now which I didn't think was possible.
    What I also found helped was to give up with a mate and have a last longer bet.