You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Looking for advice please :).

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
i would fold pre if we arent suited as 5x raises are generally strong.
after two pot size bets i would be hesitant about shoving the turn as he has put over half of his stack into the pot already (2k starting stack i think) so i really dont see him bet/folding with any pair of diamond.

even if he is bluffing, lets say with either AK AQ or AdX then you are still pretty crushed.

also to avoid getting replies that are results orientated you should probably leave out if he called/folded and what with from future threads

Comments

• edited January 2011

Hi guys.

I have just been knocked out of tonights velocity tournament, in the second hand.

I am on the big blind with K Q and my opponent raises 5x the big blind up to 100 from under the gun. The starting stack is 3000.

I decide to flat and see a flop as its early on. At this point even though the raise came from under the gun I am not giving my oponnent massive credit as he has raised the first 2 hands up strongly.

The flop comes J 10 4 with 2 diamonds. I check into the pre flop raiser he fires out a pot size bet. I flat with the theory of check raising the turn.
    The 10 of diamonds comes on the turn, bringing out the 3rd diamond. I do not have a diamond in my hand, and think that this is a great card to represent. 

I check the turn and my oponnent fires out pot (630). This screams of a bluff to me as it doesnt look like hes betting for value. I decide to then push all in with outs and the thought that I can make my opponent pass with the scary turn card. I get instant called with pocket kings, he has no flush draw with the diamond.

Is this call loose and was i right to make the move?

I end up missing the river...

I am just looking for some other opinions on how to play this particular hand and if others would do anything different? Could my raise on the turn for example have been a min raise for strength? I didn't want to comit half my stack to then fold, Please let me know what you would do in this spot.

Cheers for reading guys, look forward to seeing your replys!

• edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Looking for advice please :).:
    i would fold pre if we arent suited as 5x raises are generally strong. after two pot size bets i would be hesitant about shoving the turn as he has put over half of his stack into the pot already (2k starting stack i think) so i really dont see him bet/folding with any pair of diamond. even if he is bluffing, lets say with either AK AQ or AdX then you are still pretty crushed. also to avoid getting replies that are results orientated you should probably leave out if he called/folded and what with from future threads
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Cheers mate my bad missed out some important details, starting stack was 3000.
    Thanks for taking the time.
  • edited January 2011

I would flat the turn, but once the board paired and the 3rd diamond and he raised again I defo would have folded there.

• edited January 2011
    I would not have got involved with KQ at such an early level with such a strong raise, that was the start of your problems IMO.
  • edited January 2011
    I would be not advocate bluffing in Velocity/ fast tournaments.

People just do not fold, and they call light.

• edited January 2011
    just fold pre 4 me
  • edited January 2011
    You gambled and lost
    Agree with greg that once the oppo has put one third of his stack in he is very unlikely to fold in this format and is almost certainly ahead of your king high
  • edited January 2011
    u have got to give utg raiser credit for haveing a strong hand your 1st to act got the rest of the table to act after u dont chase yor draws  u donk all your chips so early chasing a draw
  • edited January 2011
    I dont mind the call pre-flop but i'm deffo folding to the pot bet unless I'd hit the flop hard, but generally folding pre is the best option as its so early and there will be plenty of better spots.