You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bet sizes

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
im a little bit confused with amount to bet

i understand 3xbb raise preflop but like after flop when should u raise 1/2 the pot 3/4 pot and pot size etc?

can some 1 let me know when i shud e betting what and what other people could be doing when they bet these amounts?

i just want to make my betting more accurate like at the mo if i think i have best hand i bet enuf to try and keep them in and

Comments

• edited January 2011
    What stakes do u play? If it's 2/4p or 4/8p, you can't go far wrong if you just bet the pot every time.
  • edited January 2011
    dont ask me, im always getting it wrong, see previous posts!!!
  • edited January 2011
     The simple answer is, it depends.

What you need to do is think about what you are trying to do with the bet. Are you trying to take the pot down immediately, or do you want to keep your customers?

As an example. If you have hit a strong 2 pair or a set and there is a potential flush draw on the board then you want to be called by that draw but you also want to take away the correct odds for them to hit so as to make it a bad call in the long run. On the flop a flush draw is 3 to 1 to come in by the river so a pot size bet will only offer your opponent 2 to 1 to make the call and give them the wrong odds.

Also the other thing to consider is your opponents.Some players will go all the way to the river if they get any piece of the flop, be it bottom pair or a draw.If you are up against one of these then when you are certain of being ahead then you bet big to get paid off, and you resist the urge to bluff into them because they will not fold.

These are just a few things to think about when considering bet sizing and i am sure that others can come up with many more.But in general make the bet meaningful and understand why you are betting and who you are betting into.
  • edited January 2011
    vs good players balance your bet sizing vs bad non thinking  players you can play exploitable and bet whatever you can get away with eg you can bet small when you bluff and bigger with a hand,
  • edited January 2011
    i play prity low stakes doh around those levels u said anc cheers for the advice every 1