You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

flopped FH, Turns into quads on river - with chance oppo has flush - how much more value should I of

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Title sums it up really - should I have been reraising rather than calling earlier dtreets - higher bet on river???
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
tapeworm Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.52
xxx Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.46
  Your hole cards

raytei01 Fold     
sharpy1 Fold     
Jambo82 Fold     
tapeworm Call  £0.02 £0.08 £4.50
xxx Raise  £0.08 £0.16 £4.38
tapeworm Call  £0.08 £0.24 £4.42
Flop

• J
  • J

tapeworm Check     
xxx Bet  £0.08 £0.32 £4.30
tapeworm Call  £0.08 £0.40 £4.34
Turn

tapeworm Check     
xxx Bet  £0.12 £0.52 £4.18
tapeworm Call  £0.12 £0.64 £4.22
River

tapeworm Bet  £0.48 £1.12 £3.74
xxx Call  £0.48 £1.60 £3.70
tapeworm Show

xxx Muck
  • K

tapeworm Win Four 7s £1.48  £5.22

Comments

• edited January 2011

You have to raise the turn.

Think about what hands he could have, he has bet twice.

If he's bluffing, you're only gonna get a 3/4 pot bet out of him on the river if he decides to bluff a third time.

By just flatting all the way down, you're only going to get paid big if the hand is a cooler. You can't expect every hand to be a cooler. You have to find other ways to get paid - i.e let him make a mistake. 

You can flat the flop, that's understandable, you have flopped the world, he could just be making a standard c bet after raising pre. No problems here.

The turn is a great card for you.....

- It makes the flush, and it brings a single card flush draw.
    - It makes a possible straight, and again, brings in straight draws.

He has led in to you again, the pot is small, your hand is massive!!! - You need to make the pot bigger. At this level, he will continue with made hands, and draws, there's no excuse not to raise here. Don't wait until the river, hope he hits, then get it in - you're missing alot of value doing this.

If you raise the turn, you can make your river play depending on how he responds to your raise. It may be a value bet, it might be an over-bet, or maybe even a check (wouldn't recommend it at this level without notes).

As played, on the river I would definitely over-bet my hand at this level, I would just go all in, as I think his hand looks alot like a jack.

Sorry about the long reply, I used to make this mistake all the time at 25$nl on will hill when I first started. I would flop the world, and "not want to scare them off".

The sooner you get out of this mentality - the better - BET YOUR BIG HANDS BIG !!

P.S - Forgot to say, you could have this situation 20 times in a row on the turn, if you make the raise 20 times in a row, and he snap folds his hand 20 times in a row - obviously it's disappointing, but don't start thinking you're playing it wrong, he just had nothing.
  • edited January 2011
    wow dohhhman i think i just approved your photo lol

clicked on your profile F5 and now approved on all, either that or i just approved so i can see it in which case no biggie ;)