You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fold or call?

MajMaj
edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
This is the first time I have posted on here but this happened to me today so I thought I would post to see what people think.

This was the very first hand of a DYM Sit N Go and I was on the button with KK. The player two to my right raised x5 to 100, I called to disguise a big hand this early in the tournament and everybody else folded. Flop was 422 and the opponent shoved all in.

Never played with this guy before so no idea how he plays as its the first hand. My hunch is that I'm probably only losing to one hand, but what do you think? Call or fold?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I'd fold to that flop, tough one but no reads he could easily have rag ace a/2 or could be rubbish, as its earlier not vital you go with it wait for a better spot imo

BTW i would never flat here with KK, your letting in ace x hands also only 1 hand you are behind so get as much in pre if they have Aces ul but with no reads cant ever fold pre even in a dym, i'd re-raise to 400

welcome to the forum Maj, may the poker gods be with you :)

Regards
    John
  • edited January 2011

He has pocket 5's, pocket Aces, or any pocket pair in-between.

Call.
  • edited January 2011
    are you serious younggun? like the guy is shoving with 4s full or a 2! you play to disguise ur hand, u get THE perfect flop and u bottle it now that ur trap worked?

snapus callus
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Fold or call?:
    I'd fold to that flop, tough one but no reads he could easily have rag ace a/2 or could be rubbish, as its earlier not vital you go with it wait for a better spot imo BTW i would never flat here with KK, your letting in ace x hands also only 1 hand you are behind so get as much in pre if they have Aces ul but with no reads cant ever fold pre even in a dym, i'd re-raise to 400 welcome to the forum Maj, may the poker gods be with you :) Regards John
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    YG Iamm bangigng my headd againsdt my desk righht now

Hence the sloppy typing
  • edited January 2011
    you called to TARP.

UNLEASH THE TARP
  • edited January 2011
    haha not pulling your leg, personally i would not have been in this position as i would have re-raised it pre

as for why i fold, only way i fold kings on dry board is paired board. although unlikely someone has raised with a 2 but stranger things happen, although i think we're good alot of the time DYM games your aim is to sit/fold etc. so with no reads it would have to be a fold. for all we know they can be shoving with 2 or even 44? im not paranoid btw and dont know whether i would fold myself here that would depend on what level this was i reckon. With blinds being so low im sure you can get a better spot with some reads
  • edited January 2011
    im obviously a nit ;)
  • edited January 2011
    I'd fold to that flop, tough one but no reads he could easily have rag ace a/2 or could be rubbish, as its earlier not vital you go with it wait for a better spot imo BTW i would never flat here with KK, your letting in ace x hands also only 1 hand you are behind so get as much in pre if they have Aces ul but with no reads cant ever fold pre even in a dym, i'd re-raise to 400 welcome to the forum Maj, may the poker gods be with you :) Regards John
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Soz YG but i feel you are way off the mark here its a simplez call in the land of 'simplez callsvilles' xxx
  • edited January 2011
    you called to TARP. UNLEASH THE TARP
    Posted by beaneh
    not a good thing i bark out laughing to this at work
  • edited January 2011

This is what happens when young gun is first to reply and has no1 to copy.

;)
  • edited January 2011
    lol i would still put the same, if you see my post i have put i would never be in this position and call with kings

folding on this flop is not the worst it depends on how much of an edge you think you have? also gut instinct usually helps too

• MajMaj
    edited January 2011

Thanks for your welcome Young Gun, and also thanks for being the only one to agree with what I did. I folded.

I folded because it was the first hand and I thought I could guarantee a better result by waiting.

Nothing happened after this to make me think this was a really bad fold, the guy just played normally after this, he was certainly no lunatic.

Just as an aside,and I'm not saying this to justify that my fold was right, a few hands after this I picked up kk again also on the button, against the same guy, but this time I flopped quads.

You'll be pleased to know I tarped for all I was worth and by the time the 4th diamond appeared on the river he must have hit a flush coz he bet into me and called when I unleashed the tarp!!!