You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Horrible turn.

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Haven't played any pots with villain.  The turn is the worst card in the deck for my hand.  Where do you go from here?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceblackie20Small blind £0.05£0.05£10.60brobatBig blind £0.10£0.15£1.64 Your hole cards5A   XXXCall £0.10£0.25£23.23BIGUS364Fold    nelfishFold    WilhelmRaise £0.40£0.65£7.82blackie20Call £0.35£1.00£10.25brobatCall £0.30£1.30£1.34XXXCall £0.30£1.60£22.93Flop  423   blackie20Bet £0.30£1.90£9.95brobatFold    XXXCall £0.30£2.20£22.63WilhelmRaise £2.18£4.38£5.64blackie20Fold    XXXCall £1.88£6.26£20.75Turn  5   XXXCheck   

Comments

• ybyb
    edited January 2011
  • edited January 2011
    think its ok to bet like 2ish here.  he can call with worse, loads of 2pr hands etc. 
  • edited January 2011
    think the guy is more inclined to limp utg  with pairs and suited cards cant see many 2 pair hands tbh, i think checking is best and see what he does on fifth
  • edited January 2011
    I think it's a check.  Just can't see much value in bet/folding, and I'm certainly not bet/calling.  I can't see too much we want to call which will call and if the oppo is creative they can easily take us off the pot on turn or river.

Check behind and assess the river.
  • edited January 2011
    100% agree, check behind and call any reasonable bet on river, apart from if it comes a further heart and he bets fairly big. Even then a call might be worth it.

If river's a brick and he checks however, I'd probably be inclined to bet and hope to get value from a rivered pair, or random 2 pair combos. It's highly unlikely he has the flush or higher straight if he checks river based on the betting, since by all accounts it looks like you've shut down and won't bet any more. So the worst I can see happening if he checks is you split with the low end straight, most likely he folds and you're no worse off.

If you bet the turn he either folds, and you take what's in the pot, or he reraises- and you basically have to fold since he has you beat like 95% of the time. If you leave it to the river and he bets it's more like 50/50 whether he has the flush or air, and you're getting way more value.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Horrible turn.:
    100% agree, check behind and call any reasonable bet on river, apart from if it comes a further heart and he bets fairly big. Even then a call might be worth it. If river's a brick and he checks however, I'd probably be inclined to bet and hope to get value from a rivered pair, or random 2 pair combos. It's highly unlikely he has the flush or higher straight if he checks river based on the betting, since by all accounts it looks like you've shut down and won't bet any more. So the worst I can see happening if he checks is you split with the low end straight, most likely he folds and you're no worse off. If you bet the turn he either folds, and you take what's in the pot, or he reraises- and you basically have to fold since he has you beat like 95% of the time. If you leave it to the river and he bets it's more like 50/50 whether he has the flush or air, and you're getting way more value.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    The thing is, by the turn I've got about a fiver left and there's six and a half quid in the pot.  I don't think I can bet/fold.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Horrible turn.:
    In Response to Re: Horrible turn. : The thing is, by the turn I've got about a fiver left and there's six and a half quid in the pot.  I don't think I can bet/fold.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    that's exactly why I think you shouldn't bet the turn- if he reraises you have to say you're almost certainly behind, but by now as good as committed to the hand. You're taking bluffs out of his arsenal, he either has it and raises or doesn't have it and folds- either way, it plays a lot worse than letting him take the action on the river.