You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£150 ftd- £5.50 BI - River Decision

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
DARKGG Small blind   10.00 10.00 2775.00
Timo615 Big blind   20.00 30.00 1960.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

martin111 Fold        
roofer5811 Fold        
abou Fold        
YOUNG_GUN Raise   60.00 90.00 2330.00
DARKGG Fold        
Timo615 Call   40.00 130.00 1920.00
Flop

• K

Timo615 Check        
YOUNG_GUN Check        
Turn

Timo615 Check        
YOUNG_GUN Bet   97.50 227.50 2232.50
Timo615 Call   97.50 325.00 1822.50
River

Timo615 Bet   162.50 487.50 1660.00
YOUNG_GUN Raise   487.50 975.00 1745.00
Timo615 All-in   1660.00 2635.00 0.00

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Right pretty early on as you can see, didn't have any reads at this point other then had been playing a few pots.

Pre i figured they could call with any 2 and just be defending his blinds, i hit top pair but as no kicker didnt want to play too strongly and aim for a bit of pot control. turn perfect card i thought i would 3/4 pot to keep them in, i actually once he calls think he could have k10/k9 etc or possibly a flush draw. River is not the best card meaning a 6 would be the straight, but still not a flush which i put him on or top pair. I re-raise for a bit of value and they shove?? could they have a straight, busted flush or better hand your thoughts please
  • edited January 2011

I'm sure u just changed the hand history since I replied???? Anyway deleted previous post.

You've played this hand sooooo wrong imo - everything is upside down/back to front/just wrong.

Got tonnes of experience playing this tourny - don't blind steal at the 10/20 level with K-5 !!!

When you have flopped top pair in a heads up pot and you're in position - bet it.

When there's a 1 card str8 on board and they suddenly bet in to you, don't raise unless you hold that 1 specific card.

• edited January 2011
    No i did not alter it, you drinking already?

I know i played this back to front lol just wanted to see what people will do in this spot
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: £150 ftd- £5.50 BI - River Decision:
    No i did not alter it, you drinking already? I know i played this back to front lol just wanted to see what people will do in this spot
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Probably not get into it in the first place!!

ez fold though right u didnt call surely?
  • edited January 2011
    Don't be results orientated fruitcake! i will obviously not post just want to see as this is a big decision

PS. regardless of the result, i still went on to min cash(standard lol)
  • edited January 2011
    FWIW do you not think he is ever bluffing here? busted flush, or top pair as you know the standard in these?
  • edited January 2011
    just flat the river as its pretty hard 2 get value from hands we are beating

then we have no decision, ez game
  • edited January 2011
    fold.

don't raise river.

doh - checking this flop isn't a bad play.
  • edited January 2011
  • ybyb
    edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: £150 ftd- £5.50 BI - River Decision:
    bet flop imo
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    I agree, if it was a rainbow board I'd probably check it.

You need loads of reads on someone to be able to do anything other than flat the river, and I doubt you have them at 10/20 in an mtt.
  • edited January 2011
    fold pre.  no reason to be blind stealing at 10/20

awful raise river. 

bet flop also.

but yeah fold pre.
  • edited January 2011
    raise bigger pre
    bet flop
    bet turn
    dont be a river re-tard
  • edited January 2011
    Fold pre ideally.

Raising pre is fine if your gonna bet your hand properly on flop and turn.

Raising river is just wrong.

As played, fold river.
  • edited January 2011
    raising pre is terrible on so many levels, imo

10/20 raising the button with K5- basically all you want to see is a fold, because there's so few flops that are going to actually be good for K5os. And what have you achieved- 30 chips on top of your 2k stack. Not only that, you're building an image for yourself as looser every hand you play. Much better to sit tight, get a rock tight image and start making your first steals around 75/150, or 100/200, where you're now adding a real amount to your stack, and likely to get respect for the first few times.

If you DO have to try and steal, at least make it with hands that could play well postflop, i.e suited cons, high cards and pairs. Then you have something to hold on to on the flop. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of limping with nut making hands this early on, and then calling reasonable sized raises- you don't want to inflate pots pre too early in tournaments unless you have a large holding (JJ+). I'd probably even limp with 10's since you're likely to get calls from random overcards, which will mostly come down on flop.

Postflop, once you hit top pair and see a check, bet out. Then if you get a call, I'd probably shut down- until I see the two pair on turn, at which point there's money in the pot, and you aim to get your stack in ASAP. Betting the flop means you should be able to get yourselves both fairly committed by the time you have two pair, then you don't have a decision on the river- if you get binked, that's the game. As played, he's checked all down the streets then bet out on a board with 4 to the straight. Just flat it!!! If he's got an inferior hand, so be it- he won't call a raise anyway. You've turned a hand with good showdown value into a bluff.

Just fold K5os preflop, don't start getting into stealwars this early on, because it gets yourself in all kinds of trouble. Even if it turns out he didn't have the straight, you've got yourself in all kinds of trouble because you made a play preflop that was totally unnecessary and makes problems for yourself without much hope of reward.
  • edited January 2011
    Yes i did shove and yes he did have a straight!

Villain had 46 off

This was not a Wind up thread either was being genuine whether the opponents ever bluffing in this spot as i knew i played it bad.

Many thanks for your replies and i will try not to get fruity with K5 off, on the bright side i did cash still but this made it alot harder