You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is Beating Quads a Change of Luck

edited January 2011 in Poker Chat
I couldn't let this pass without making a post.  With the odd exception I have not been running too well recently.  Decided to play a couple of satellites last night.  The first, SPT Luton, 33 runners (1 in 5 qualify), I was struggling all the way down to about 12 x BB.  All in with AJ to be called and beaten by A5 (5 on flop).  So in the last 5 tournies I had now lost 7 races in a row (having been ahead in 6), frustrating.  The next was a satellite to the £220 biggie (20 runners), in which I ran well and managed to win.
So now I played my favourite tourny, the £2000 TSP Classic (204 runners).  Plodded along into 2nd hour and then with about 70 runners this happened:-  the blinds were 100/200 and I was sat with just under 2600.  I was UTG and had Kh Qh and put in a 3 bet, hoping that somebody would come over the top and I could then take my chances.  I was obliged when the BB (and table chip leader) went all in, which I called.  He turned over JJ, the flop came down Qc Jc Jh so he hit quads.  I was on my way out of tourny (I thought) until turn 10h and river 9h gave me a straight flush to the K.  Wow!  A few hands later I was all in again against same player and doubled up again.  A third double up with KK and another win to take out the "quads" player saw me hit £20k+ chips.  I reached the final table in 6th place, won a few pots to move up to 3rd place.  Was sat with about 56k chips and had J 10 in BB, all folded round to dealer who put in a min bet, which I called.  Flop came down 10 6 4, dealer bet half pot.  I put him on over card(s) and felt confident that I was ahead so shoved.  He called my all in and I was surprised (and delighted) when he showed 10 8.  I now worked out that I would be chip leader after this hand (he had 3 outs or runner runner for straight - no better than 15% chance), but the poker gods had different ideas as an 8 came down on the turn to put me out in 6th.
Anyway I have to happy with that after the "quads" hand, and perhaps this is a turning point after my bad run.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    In Response to Is Beating Quads a Change of Luck:
    I couldn't let this pass without making a post.  With the odd exception I have not been running too well recently.  Decided to play a couple of satellites last night.  The first, SPT Luton, 33 runners (1 in 5 qualify), I was struggling all the way down to about 12 x BB.  All in with AJ to be called and beaten by A5 (5 on flop).  So in the last 5 tournies I had now lost 7 races in a row (having been ahead in 6), frustrating.  The next was a satellite to the £220 biggie (20 runners), in which I ran well and managed to win. So now I played my favourite tourny, the £2000 TSP Classic (204 runners).  Plodded along into 2nd hour and then with about 70 runners this happened:-  the blinds were 100/200 and I was sat with just under 2600.  I was UTG and had Kh Qh and put in a 3 bet, hoping that somebody would come over the top and I could then take my chances.  I was obliged when the BB (and table chip leader) went all in, which I called.  He turned over JJ, the flop came down Qc Jc Jh so he hit quads.  I was on my way out of tourny (I thought) until turn 10h and river 9h gave me a straight flush to the K.  Wow!  A few hands later I was all in again against same player and doubled up again.  A third double up with KK and another win to take out the "quads" player saw me hit £20k+ chips.  I reached the final table in 6th place, won a few pots to move up to 3rd place.  Was sat with about 56k chips and had J 10 in BB, all folded round to dealer who put in a min bet, which I called.  Flop came down 10 6 4, dealer bet half pot.  I put him on over card(s) and felt confident that I was ahead so shoved.  He called my all in and I was surprised (and delighted) when he showed 10 8.  I now worked out that I would be chip leader after this hand (he had 3 outs or runner runner for straight - no better than 15% chance), but the poker gods had different ideas as an 8 came down on the turn to put me out in 6th. Anyway I have to happy with that after the "quads" hand, and perhaps this is a turning point after my bad run.
    Posted by Dollie

Always happy to help out ;) lol

A few interesting players on that FT .............

• edited January 2011

Nice post Gordon. A bad beat thread in disguise! ; I like it :)
    Glad you used my chips well in that £220 sat jobbie.....now go on and win it Sir!! Would be nice to see some one from the micro sats take a big tournament down. I did enjoy that sat until yourself and Penguin sat on my table :(
    Anyway, glad it seems it has hopefully turned for you. There must be hope for me now!
  • edited January 2011

Lovely Post Dollie. The up & downs of NLHE. What a beautiful game it is.

Hope very much to see you in Luton.
  • edited January 2011
    If you were really good, you would have made the royal flush rather than the king high straight flush - better luck next time. :-)))

Nice post.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Is Beating Quads a Change of Luck:
    Lovely Post Dollie. The up & downs of NLHE. What a beautiful game it is. Hope very much to see you in Luton.
    Posted by Tikay10
    No no no no no - 'rigged for action!' lol ;-)

• edited January 2011
    Great post enjoyed the read.... Gool luck!
  • edited January 2011