You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

what the flip!?

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
this hand vs good solid reg, leaving his name in because it will help in deciding wether it was a good play etc. plus im sure he wouldnt mind...he raises this amount all the time so no info gained by the preflop raise, i hit the flop pretty big, i know if i bet vs him here he folds majority of the time so i check, bet the turn because of the possible draws and the river is a tad yucky. i put a value bet in and get re-popped fairly big. did he have KK/AA? scared of the flop and didnt bet? flopped set? flippin heck.

Hand History #332005552 (20:13 20/01/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ezryder Sit out        
JEFFD234 Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £89.37
hurst05 Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £162.32
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • J

cyberdog Fold        
cottlad Raise   £3.00 £4.50 £99.65
BARNEY1908 Fold        
JEFFD234 Call   £2.50 £7.00 £86.87
hurst05 Call   £2.00 £9.00 £160.32
Flop

• Q
  • J

JEFFD234 Check        
hurst05 Check        
cottlad Check        
Turn

JEFFD234 Check        
hurst05 Bet   £7.00 £16.00 £153.32
cottlad Call   £7.00 £23.00 £92.65
JEFFD234 Fold        
River

hurst05 Bet   £13.00 £36.00 £140.32
cottlad Raise   £37.00 £73.00 £55.65
hurst05 Fold        
cottlad Muck        
cottlad Win   £47.20   £102.85
cottlad Return   £24.00 £1.80 £126.85

Comments

• edited January 2011

56 of hearts? is this in his range i dunno, cos i not played him at cash.

Don't think it is AA or KK, cos he probs bets flop.

Its a weird one hursty!

• edited January 2011
    Would be a brave call against me with 2pr on a paired board........ but everyone knows that right?  hehe
  • edited January 2011

I think you're beat here.  Not sure how many times the Villain would raise on a river bluff, I doubt it'll be many TBH though I may be wrong.  Knowing me as played I might make a spewy call here so good fold IMO.

On reflection you maybe should check call this river instead of bet fold.  The villain in question will bet a Q and J on the flop much of the time.  All you are beating by the river are pairs TT and lower (excluding 5s and 6s obv).  I don't think he's calling off a value bet on the river with those holdings so are you really expecting a bare Q or J here?  I know the other side of the argument is you're losing value by not V-Betting the river but I can't see a whole heap you're beating that will call.

• ybyb
    edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: what the flip!?:
    Would be a brave call against me with 2pr on a paired board........ but everyone knows that right?  hehe
    Posted by cottlad
    I'd really want to fold but idk the only value hand I think you can have is 56s and not sure if that's in your range from the cut-off. Possibly 66 but theres only 1 combo of that. Think I'd probably call tbf.
  • edited January 2011
    I think you're beat here.  Not sure how many times the Villain would raise on a river bluff, I doubt it'll be many TBH though I may be wrong.  Knowing me as played I might make a spewy call here so good fold IMO. On reflection you maybe should check call this river instead of bet fold.  The villain in question will bet a Q and J on the flop much of the time.  All you are beating by the river are pairs TT and lower (excluding 5s and 6s obv).  I don't think he's calling off a value bet on the river with those holdings so are you really expecting a bare Q or J here?  I know the other side of the argument is you're losing value by not V-Betting the river but I can't see a whole heap you're beating that will call.
    Posted by TommyD
    I agree with this.

Think your hand has turned into more of a bluff catcher by the river tbh.
  • ybyb
    edited January 2011
    Definitely bet the river, I think we have the best hand a really high % of the time and cottlad isn't betting with worse very often if at all. C/cing is probably the worst thing you can do imo.
  • edited January 2011
    He has to bet the river for value imo
  • edited January 2011
    He has to bet the river for value imo
    Posted by cottlad
    You are probably right.

It's just I can't see what hand checks the flop but calls a river bet.

• edited January 2011

I don't really like the turn to bluff at because of the extra draws and 2 opponents. Cottlad will know this and so will have put you on a decent hand. I doubt he will call with a 5 or 6 here. I think he would have bet the flop if he had a jack or queen considering it was checked to him and could get called by straight draw, or weaker hand. I think he picked up the flush draw on the turn and repped the 6 on the river, considering you folded your trips and posted it on the forum.
    Just how I would think it through anyway. So I would have to check call the river or bet call as I would put him on the flush draw and the only way to get paid would be to let him bluff.

• edited January 2011
    Posted by cottlad
    such a tease lol advertise myself as an uber nit then boom :)
  • edited January 2011
  • edited January 2011
    this hand doesnt make to much sence, i would put him on tens here and hes trying to get you to fold a jack/queen

if he has quads good luck to him
  • edited January 2011
    sence or sense you decide :p
  • edited January 2011
    sence or sense you decide :p
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    schooled