You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cricket world cup preview and bets.

edited February 2011 in The Shed

They've got it all wrong !!!! lol - Even jesusdog must agree with me here.....

Starting with the blatantly obvious......Trott is not a 1 day player, never will be. He scratches around for 30 off 60 balls all the time, eating up time, putting pressure on the guy at the other end, then tries to play an attacking shot and gets out, piling pressure on the more talented batsmen coming in behind him.

Luke Wright. - wtf. He doesn't bowl......he's straight up and down, medium pace, very few variations, and will get tonked all over in Asia. He's not a front-line batsmen and he very rarely produces when it matters.
Bopara is a much better batsmen - and a better bowler in these conditions. Big mistake.

Tredwell - r u serious? - Got an attacking, wicket taking young leg-spin bowler, who can bat - Adil Rashid. Surely that's a better option on spinners pitches???????

Wicket-keeper - I've no issues with Prior instead of Davies, I don't think there's much between them tbh, but if they're gonna open with the wicket keeper, I would deffo have gone with Davies, to get us off to a flier.

Alternatively, I like the idea of opening with Ian Bell, who is far too low in the order at number 5.

DOHHH's W.C team/squad.

Strauss
Bell
Pieterson
Bopara
Morgan
Collingwood
Prior
Yardy
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Lumb
Shazad
Rashid
Bresnan.

Playing 7 batsmen gives the top order license to express themselves. Pieterson at 3 nurses his ego, gives him some responsibility, and a chance to smash the powerplay overs. 

Collingwood and Morgan can switch given the game situation.

That 7,8,9,10 must be the strongest in world cricket - any of them could be promoted to pinch hit, allowing us to be flexible and exploit the batting powerplay. Swann is the best number 10 in the history of cricket!!

The bowling takes care of itself, 4 front-line bowlers, then 10 to be made up mostly from the variations provided by Collingwood and Bopara, maybe even Pieterson, it's not a problem. 

Big runs are gonna be required to win the world cup - England excel in the field, and can easily defend 300+ by squeezing with the world class options we have during overs 20-40. Swann will be the best bowler at the World Cup.

If I knew England were going to play the above team, I would put my whole bankroll on England making the final. 

:)

(btw India are gonna be sooooooooooo tough to beat!! - 10/3 may be a too short though)

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Sigh, I'm glad I didn't even attempt to stay up and watch that shower of sh!te last night.

The management have totally lost the plot, 2 of the 3 frontline bowlers didn't even make the World Cup squad.

I fear Trott's innings is only gonna promote him up the thoughts of the selectors, back in test match mode holding the innings together, then ran out of ideas in the powerplay at the end, rotating the strike with the number 11 batsmen - he just totally lost the plot.

Having said that - Englands world cup price is on the drift, and if we continue to get battered, it will continue to do so.....

Eng have the players to win the world cup..........they just need to start playing them !!!

Watch this space, they're tried every other team, they might start trying the right one now !
  • edited January 2011
    +1000000000000000000000 on everything DOHHHHHHH has said!....

Adil Rashid must be asking himself what he has to do to get in that England side because you can certainly class as a bowing allrounder that can bat at either 6 or 7 and I wish England do pick him for the Tests and ODI's so at least Yorkshire's odds of winning the County Championship drift out in spectacular fashion lololololololol!

Another one who i am not saying who could challenge for an England spot just yet but certainly has the potential is Lancashire's Tom Smith as he can bat anywhere in the order and can produce attacking medium-fast bowling but his problem has been injuries and for me if he can remain fit throughout the upcoming county season well at least Lancashire have half a chance of staying up! :)))))))) (I think Yorkshire will walk the county title this season and i seriously think unless the batting improves big style then I will be putting my money on Lancashire to get relegated because we have been asking for trouble the last few seasons in the CC and this pipe dream the club has thinking it has a chance of winning the championship is silly because we are not good enough!)

• edited January 2011

Maybe the rain that has previously prevented you lot winning the championship, might help you achieve enough draws to avoid relegation this time 

;)
  • edited January 2011

From the squad we've got for WC, I would go with:

Strauss
    Bell
    Trott
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Morgan
    Prior
    Bresnan
    Broad
    Swann
    Anderson

Wright
    Yardy
    Shazad
    Tredwell

I would swap Tredwell, Yardy, Prior, Wright and Shazad for Shah, Patel, Davies, Bopara and Tremlett given the choice.

• edited February 2011

KP to open the batting..............

I like it !!!!!
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: England's ODI cricket team!!! - DOHHH's moan.+ World cup preview.:
    KP to open the batting.............. I like it !!!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Any chance of putting up a few betting opportunities for the cricket. i love watching the game but dont have nearly enough knowledge to do much form checking for myself and you have a good track record
  • edited February 2011

Yea I'll have a go tomorrow.

I never bet against England at cricket, but will have a crack at some top batsman/bowler bets, and also try and find some value if you don't mind going against England (who inevitably will be well too short)
  • edited February 2011
    To win the tournament?

England having a mare down under has seen them drift from 5/1 to 8/1. But the team is abit of a mess, with injuries, the batting order unsettled etc etc, but you never know....I'll of course be having a tenner on them, but I wouldn't advise you put the rent money on em.

India are gonna be so hard to beat, but they're just too short at 11/4.

Pakistan always start badly, before coming on strong, and they "will" make the quarter finals, so if you fancy a bet on them I would wait till they drift from 8/1 to 12/1 after getting thrashed in their first game.

Australia of course will be there or there abouts, and you will get a good run for your money if you take the 11/2 about them. But I hope none of you touch them!!! No matter how good their price is.

I never back anyone but England in this market, and this time, the competition is so wide open, that I'm not even gonna suggest a bet for you guys, unless you are a serious punter with plenty of money and wanna stick 3 figures on the Indians.........

So shall look for some value elsewhere.....

DOHHHHHHH's main bet.

I've been running really well at poker throughout January, so I;m going to have £50 on my main bet, £10 on England to win it outright, and £5 on the 3 bets below to take my total outlay to £75. Not bad for 3+ weeks of bettng entertainment, althought it might sting abit when I have to click "place bet"! lol

My main bet is a double, Tamim Iqbal to be the top run scorer for Bangladesh, @ 9/4, and Chris Gayle to be the top runscorer for the West Indies @ 12/5.

2 of the most exciting batsment in world cricket, both open the batting, when the ball is hard, and coming on to the bat, the fielding restrictions in place, and they will both have license to thrill to get their side off to a flier.

Both stand out as easily the star man in their respective batting line ups, which could well collapse around them. I really can't see either of these bets failing.

I've never had anything like £50 on a 10/1 double before, but I'm very confident with these selections.

If anyone wants a shorter price, to stake so much, I would take the 9/4 on tamim, or if you want a bigger price, I've suggested a multiple below.

Top tournament batsmen.

This is an outstanding bet imo. The West Indies might well play 1/2 less games than some teams, but they're the kinda team who can turn up on the day and beat anyone.

Chris Gayle has said he's coming out to win the world cup for his country single handedly. He seems really up for it and he could well blast 200 in an innings against one of the minor teams.

25/1 is a ridiculous price. - Get on it.

Top tournament bowler

Very tricky market this one, but the South African leg spinner, Imran Tahir has the x factor to take tonnes of wickets in these conditions, and again, 28/1 is too big.

Long-shot.

Top run scorer for their team....

Gayle (wi), De Villiers (sa) T,Iqbal (bangladesh) -  54/1 trebble. (If like me you are optimistic, and patriotic, add KP for 220/1)

Enjoy the cricket guys !!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks for those mate had a few quid on those even got 33/1 tahir.
    gonna have a bet on south africa to win as well 
  • edited February 2011

We'll need our bowling to be uber-clinical to have a chance because our batting is likely to be hit and miss. I hope KP opening pays off.

I also hope Broad's not used up his wicket allocation in the warm-ups!

Really looking forward to this tournie now, we should see some great action over the next six weeks.
  • edited February 2011
    Quite simply lump your 1 year mortgage payments on India to walk the World Cup but if none of the "big boys" decide to "turn up" then quite simply either Pakistan or New Zealand will win as that was certainly the case in 1992! ;-)

• edited February 2011
    Sri Lanka (4/1) Sri Lanka 2nd Fav is a good bet with there bowling attack:

Malanga - Great death bowler with is slower balls and yorkers
    Murali - Well its Murali ;)
    Mendis - Another tricky spinner

The only down fall for Sri Lanka would be if there top order doesent fire players such as:

Sangakarra
    Dilshan
    Jayawardene

As I was saying if these players down fire there middle order is a little fragile, but overall I think Sri Lanka is a good bet at (4/1)