You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM bubble, blind steal turns into ultra lucky hand, how did i play it though

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
OK this hand is on a dym £5.50 bubble. Its been a good game and no realy history to talk about, mostly ABC simple poker. As its the bubble i decided to change gears and min raised UTG with a very week holding. I flop up and down + FD + SFD

I turn my straight flush and go for value on the river.

Anyways opinions on how i play this overall - my call on river was because i misread situation i thought it was all in to call.

Also how is my origional value bet, obviously if i put the guy on A flush i just jam.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
questor11 Small blind  75.00 75.00 1535.00
dlj86 Big blind  150.00 225.00 3842.50
  Your hole cards
  • K

The_Don90 Raise  300.00 525.00 2720.00
The_Flex Call  300.00 825.00 3077.50
questor11 Fold     
dlj86 Fold     
Flop

• J
  • Q

The_Don90 Bet  618.75 1443.75 2101.25
The_Flex Call  618.75 2062.50 2458.75
Turn

The_Don90 Check     
The_Flex Check     
River

The_Don90 Bet  1031.25 3093.75 1070.00
The_Flex Raise  2062.50 5156.25 396.25
The_Don90 Call  1031.25 6187.50 38.75
The_Flex Show
  • A

The_Don90 Show
  • K

The_Don90 Win Straight Flush to the King 6187.50  6226.25
Also i have not censored names as this is clearlly a cooler on the opponent.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Im not keen on varying raise sizes in dyms, but i think with the stack sizes it's fine. The only problem is if the sb reships. what do you do then?

Once you see that flop, i dont think you can fold even in a bubble situation of a dym. So i like the bet sizing here.

Obviously the rest of the hand plays itself!

I do think folding pre is best though here. Also K10s is not a "very weak" holding 4 handed. Its actually reasonably strong imo! But there is no real need to get involved here.
  • edited January 2011
    In a DYM I'm folding pre and open jamming the flop.

In regards to the V-bet on the end, I'm betting less strangely (750-850) because I'm desperate to get paid as light as possible.  We have the nuts, Villain has a decent stack on the river and I don't think he pays off that much to make him the short-stack with a marginal/medium holding.
  • edited January 2011

+1 in general to what's been said. This doesn't strike me as a stealing spot at all and I am definately folding pre here. As Greghogg has said what do you do if the small blind reships? There's not many things more annoying in a DYM than when someone raise folds to a shortish stack who is clearly going to resteal often. Try and plan ahead I would say. Btw it's an instant fold if the sb did reship.

The flop is very marginal for me. TommyD's advice to open jam is definately an option and could well be the best but it's not what I'm doing. The pot is just a touch too small and effective stacks are just a touch too big. You're only getting called if your about racing (and once every so often when you're in bad shape against the nut flush draw).

Another option which I think is very viable indeed is to check/raise all-in on the flop, this has the massive advantage of addressing the disparity between the size of the pot and that of the stacks which as I have mentioned is the only reason I am not jamming the flop. The disadvantage of course is that your opponent may check behind but with so many outs I don't see this as a huge drawback and it keeps the pot smaller while you still have no hand.

I'm either doing the above or, call me a nit, betting a very similar amount to you and folding to a shove. It may sound pretty horrible to some but this is a DYM and by doing this you remain with 14 big blinds and second in chips with no risk - never a bad thing. It's not like your opponent is going to raise all-in light as you have already shown you're extremely serious about your hand.

Re the river I think Tommy has it exactly right. I'm definately definately betting one of those amounts and never ever half the pot.

JC

• edited January 2011
    thanks guys.

Also thanks John very indepth post into the ways of this hand (you fancy playing a few dyms for me mate) Thanks guys.