You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rebuys and Addons

edited January 2011 in Poker Chat

Looking at other recent posts, it's clear that some topics come up time and again, so feel free to point me in the direction of a good one on this.  I've not really looked at the threads too much.

I don't tend to enter rebuy tournaments as a rule, as my gut feeling is they are aimed at gamblers rather than players (no snobbery intended there but hope you know what I mean)

Even if I have been shortstacked at the first interval I'd rather go for a quick double up, than invest more in that tournament.

And some of the tilt play I've seen in these type of tournaments tends to add to my theory that they are moneymaking features for Sky rather than genuine additions to the game.

What, if any are the schools of thought on this?

I've never rebought/added on in my life, but have gone on to cash in such tournaments.  Are there examples of regular winners who rebuy/addon?

Appreciate you thoughts?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I don't tend to play them either now but plenty of people do enjoy them.

• edited January 2011
    Yep, I re-buy and add-on and I've made good profit in these. I used to do an instant re-buy, but I've realised recently that so few other players in the low buy-in tournaments are doing the same that there's no point re-buying until somebody else at the table has a stack thats significantly bigger than mine. If somebody doubles in the first hand I will rebuy then. If I make the break I always add-on unless I have a big chip lead.

To make rebuy tournaments profitable in the long run you need to be prepared to spend 5 times the buy-in IMO. Those who do have a huge advantage over the many players who don't.
  • edited January 2011
    I just can't work out why some players rebuy once (or quite often, multiple times) in the freerolls. I mean...to spend 50p on it, you'd have to finish in maybe the top 10 to make a profit and the top 30 to break even. Those chances are always reduced with 1000+ players also. Beggars belief!
  • edited January 2011
    I agree with you whittle. Iv sene people rebuy about 4 times in a freeroll... Why? Its free to enter why pay extra? Plus if his willing to spend £2.00 on rebuys why not enter a £1.10 Stt or pay a bit xtra and enter £2+ Stt to actually win money lol
  • edited January 2011
    maxally has some great thoughts on rebuys!! i tend to agree.
  • edited January 2011
    I've done pretty well in the £5 and under rebuys but with the opposite approach to gary: I (almost) never rebuy, and rarely use the add-on. The way I see it with a rebuy you are always buying back in for less equity than those still in it have, why make the -EV buy in when another tournament will be along in minutes? My only exception is if I'm at an extremely soft table and get knocked out very close to the start.

If you can stick to that I think they're great value, especially if your early game can exploit gamblers without putting your own stack in too much danger. In a £1 BI £25 gtd with 25 players 1st place alone can often pay £25, that's a good ROI in my book if you cash more often than not.

And that's an average rebuy...don't even get me started on the number of times I've been at the FT at a speed rebut, blinds 1k/2k, and people are buying back in for 1BB. Insanity, but if they want to throw their money away I feel it's my duty to stand there with a catching mitt :)
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Rebuys and Addons:
    maxally has some great thoughts on rebuys!! i tend to agree.
    Posted by pod1
    Lol, yeah....just a few! Unfortunately, this forum is not an open forum and anyone going against the norm will get all Tikay's 'yes men' jumping up and down on you.

Lets just say rebuys are for gamblers with more money than sense and freeze outs are for players with more sense who want more money.

It is a choice thing.........so rebuys will be here to stay while people play them and big them up. Its a shame that the rebuys have affected the free rolls on here. I had AA cracked y/day in the super six on a K 9 5 rainbow board and villain 'gambled' with his 5 4 and hit his 4 on river, gg. I didnt rebuy.

Other sites are currently doing freerolls which are not rebuys.
  • edited January 2011
    you should run for pm maxally, that was the "tamest" post i see you do on the subject!!
  • edited January 2011
    rebuys are for gamblers with more money than sense
    Exactly why they can be such good value!
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Rebuys and Addons:
    In Response to Re: Rebuys and Addons : Lol, yeah....just a few! Unfortunately, this forum is not an open forum and anyone going against the norm will get all Tikay's 'yes men' jumping up and down on you. Lets just say rebuys are for gamblers with more money than sense and freeze outs are for players with more sense who want more money. It is a choice thing.........so rebuys will be here to stay while people play them and big them up. Its a shame that the rebuys have affected the free rolls on here. I had AA cracked y/day in the super six on a K 9 5 rainbow board and villain 'gambled' with his 5 4 and hit his 4 on river, gg. I didnt rebuy. Other sites are currently doing freerolls which are not rebuys.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Wholeheartedly agree with Al on this.  I still play the freerolls on a weekend, but never rebuy.  As already stated on this post, if you rebuy you will need to finish a lot higher up the money ladder just to break even.  While that shouldn't be too much of a problem if you play the game reasonably well, it still relies on getting past the serial shovers in that first mad hour and as we all know, anything can happen when the chips start flying in the middle!

I much preferred the freerolls before the rebuys came in, but if they bring in more revenue, they're not going to go away in a hurry.