You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Making a stand against a serial button raiser

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
OK just a quick question with an example hand. If your up against a serial button raiser how do you play against them?

The example hand below comes with alot of history i started with £10 here so you can see im up. SB is rather loose but folds, and this is the first time hes folded to the button raise. I then seen this as a time to make some sort of stand and raise over the top. Ive been on the table about an hour and i can safley say the button has raised every hand except one.

Is this the ideal way to deal with this situation or should i just continue giving up my BB for now and picking up pots elsewhere. Obviously with my raise i can fold if he comes back over the top.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £29.36
The_Don90 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £17.51
  Your hole cards
  • J

Fold     
 Fold     
Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £26.34
 Fold     
The_Don90 Raise  £0.80 £1.25 £16.71
 Fold     
The_Don90 Muck     
The_Don90 Win  £0.65  £17.36
The_Don90 Return  £0.60 £0.00 £17.96

Comments

• edited January 2011
    You don't just do it for the sake of doing it, first you assign yourself a light 3bet range against certain opponents from said positions. I'm pretty sure j6o doesn't make it into the range and unless you know that he's folding 100% of the time then it just isn't profitable. If the btn is loose then you want to lean towards more Value 3bets and and if he is calling the 3bets stick in KQo and AJo. If he's folding to them then start to throw in 75s 98o.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Making a stand against a serial button raiser:
    You don't just do it for the sake of doing it, first you assign yourself a light 3bet range against certain opponents from said positions. I'm pretty sure j6o doesn't make it into the range and unless you know that he's folding 100% of the time then it just isn't profitable. If the btn is loose then you want to lean towards more Value 3bets and and if he is calling the 3bets stick in KQo and AJo. If he's folding to them then start to throw in 75s 98o.
    Posted by yuranASSet
    In honesty this was the first time id tried it. And thats why i kept it small, i could fold if he came back over the top or shutdown if he calls and i miss the flop.

Also you say i have to be right 100% of the time, because of my bet sizing dont i have to be right just 33% of the time to be profitable?
  • edited January 2011
    sorry my bad what i mean is that to 3bet with j6o you want to be 100% sure he's folding, which obviously you won't be.
  • edited January 2011
    sorry my bad what i mean is that to 3bet with j6o you want to be 100% sure he's folding, which obviously you won't be.
    Posted by yuranASSet
    Ah yea fair play, i used this hand as an example hand, these are the kind of players that used to frustrate me. Getting better at the mental side of things, but need to develop my answer back.

I understand what you mean about the range thing though.
  • edited January 2011
    Posted by yuranASSet

i would say that J6o is a fairly good hand to 3bet light with as it will rarely get you into a lot of tricky spots post flop, where hands like A9/K9s will do.

and Don has said in the post that the BTN has been raising a tonne of spots.  if we 3bet more often and he starts calling/4betting light then we then have to adapt and change to a 3bet for value range, but until this time it is ok to 3bet ATC.
  • edited January 2011
    i would 3bet with hands that are in good shape vs his range if he folds alot you can widen it i guess
  • edited January 2011
    Wouldn't worry about it at this level - Let him do it until you have a hand.

Also start to multi table, if you're playing more tables, you wont even think about it

Simplicity is genius.
  • edited January 2011
    sizing is too small i think you should be making it 14x when this deep, at 100bb stacks 10-11x

dont do it with J6o or else your 3betting range willl just be so wide you will get owned postflop
  • edited January 2011
     This looks familiar........ was I at the table Don?
  • edited January 2011
     This looks familiar........ was I at the table Don?
    Posted by waynec
    dont believe so im sure this was a good while after i left your table. I made all that money i lost on that table back with profit too :D
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Making a stand against a serial button raiser : dont believe so im sure this was a good while after i left your table. I made all that money i lost on that table back with profit too :D
    Posted by The_Don90
    If you remember last night you made a comment about myself raising your blind, and you fired back at one of my raises! Thought this may have been the hand I admitted having AT after folding, you claiming to have me dominated.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Making a stand against a serial button raiser : If you remember last night you made a comment about myself raising your blind, and you fired back at one of my raises! Thought this may have been the hand I admitted having AT after folding, you claiming to have me dominated.
    Posted by waynec
    nah this was on a diff table a good while on. The hand your refering to i had AQ i think,