You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

does anyone make a profit on sky poker

edited January 2011 in Poker Chat
Hi iv been playing for a while on sky ,i qualify for sats regular ,have cashed in a few small comps ,iv been graffting my bottom of all wkend to no avail .Im level board in my bankroll over the wkend,but want to make a profit .Iv played at the cash tables but cant get established any advice or evidence its possible to make good money ? 

Comments

• edited January 2011
    lol look at the higher stakes players on here and plenty of people winning consistently, not myself but in answer to your question yes
  • edited January 2011
    Sky poker!!! Win win win for them
  • edited January 2011
    Yep, loads of people. You can look up most players MTT/STT results on Sharkscope (google it). Many are doing better than the figure shown there because it doesn't include cash-for-points, satellite entries and free entries.
  • edited January 2011
    Im up in profit wiiiiiiiii Got no money to play with atm tho lol :D
  • edited January 2011
    Thread title made me LOL. 
  • edited January 2011

This is only a guess, but presuming at low levels, medium levels and high levels, you get roughly the same percentage of winners/losers/break eveners, i would reckon the following would not be a million miles off.
    10% sky profit.
    30% of players make a regular loss, some large some not so large.
    30% of players roughly break even give or take each month.
    30% of players make a regular profit, some large, some not so large.

• edited January 2011
    only been playing on here for about 5 months,but due to winning a good tourny im well in profit
  • edited January 2011
    No money in poker.  Everyone solid.

• edited January 2011
    i have to make a deposit once a month when i poker misses !!!
  • edited January 2011
    A few clicks are your done yeh?

Edit. You can deposit fast But takes you few days to withdraw ;)
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: does anyone make a profit on sky poker:
    A few clicks are your done yeh? Edit. You can deposit fast But takes you few days to withdraw ;)
    Posted by shaun09
     at my age it takes me longer to deposit,
  • edited January 2011
    No money in poker.  Everyone solid.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Getin that way now..... remember them saying 4 years ago approx 5% of players made a profit.... i disagreed somewhat and thought it was nearer 10%
    These days i guess it's nearer 1-2%

Know a lot of cash players who are grinding mtt's now and doing ok
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: does anyone make a profit on sky poker : Getin that way now..... remember them saying 4 years ago approx 5% of players made a profit.... i disagreed somewhat and thought it was nearer 10% These days i guess it's nearer 1-2% Know a lot of cash players who are grinding mtt's now and doing ok
    Posted by cottlad
    how can this be possible? If the house takes 10% rake, that leaves 90% for all the punters to chase, surely the 90% of prize money isn't divided between 1% or 2% of the players?
  • edited January 2011
    Cash games are where the real money is :)
  • edited January 2011
    Go to the FAQ at Sharkscope and you'll easily find a long article on this topic. According to their stats 31% of STT/MTT players who've played at least 100 games at Sky Poker are profitable.
  • edited January 2011
    Go to the FAQ at Sharkscope and you'll easily find a long article on this topic. According to their stats 31% of STT/MTT players who've played at least 100 games at Sky Poker are profitable.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    thats about what my guess was, i know it was a guess but some are saying 5% or even 1%, how is this possible?
  • edited January 2011
    "if the house takes 10% rake."

this does not mean that the sites take 10% of the net deposits. money is recycled between players bankrolls and tiny bits of rake are taken at a time, over a long period this adds upto a huuuuuuuuuge some of money.
     i think />$1billion for one major site alone every year in net profit, not just income.

i remember hearing alot that approx 2% are winning players i always thought it was probbaly a bit higher as its not hard to win at micro/low stakes with not too much effort put in but i guess you get alot of people who only play a few times a month lose X amount of money and wait til their next paycheck so i imagine it is < 5% are winners. i dont think this includes rakeback pros though.
  • edited January 2011
    "if the house takes 10% rake." this does not mean that the sites take 10% of the net deposits. money is recycled between players bankrolls and tiny bits of rake are taken at a time, over a long period this adds upto a huuuuuuuuuge some of money.  i think />$1billion for one major site alone every year in net profit, not just income. i remember hearing alot that approx 2% are winning players i always thought it was probbaly a bit higher as its not hard to win at micro/low stakes with not too much effort put in but i guess you get alot of people who only play a few times a month lose X amount of money and wait til their next paycheck so i imagine it is < 5% are winners. i dont think this includes rakeback pros though.
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    i still dont believe its lower than at least 20%, i mean i make a steady profit and im no where near that good, i would consider myself only average, so loads more must be in profit, i just cannot believe that 98% of the players here are losers.
  • edited January 2011
    I think the 5% comes from when the top players are playing each other over and over. You often hear the top HU players saying they don't play certain players because there is little or no edge, so the house always wins.

If players play below their level then they will win more. For example I recently made the move from 50nl to 100nl. I found it very hard to make a consistant profit and was relying on rakeback, as 100nl is full of regular grinders and there is little value. I have now moved back to 50nl and making good profits again. My point is on a 6 seater full of regular grinders of a similar ability only 1 may consistantly make a profit, the others may rely on rakeback with 1 or 2 making a steady loss.... Sometimes less is more.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to does anyone make a profit on sky poker:
    Hi iv been playing for a while on sky ,i qualify for sats regular ,have cashed in a few small comps ,iv been graffting my bottom of all wkend to no avail .Im level board in my bankroll over the wkend,but want to make a profit .Iv played at the cash tables but cant get established any advice or evidence its possible to make good money ? 
    Posted by wingwizard
    Try to establish a base somewhere at the bottom end where you can make small, steady profits. If not cash then maybe lower stakes DYM's. Then build up levels from there.

If you're struggling to do that then you're probably going to struggle in tournaments where you've satellited in and are up against more of the better players.
  • edited January 2011
    quick awsner is not a chance unless you play the high tabels as the play here is so bad i dout ivey could get a profit just came of a 10p 20 table and seen some of the worst poker evr seen and the guy was 70quid up calling with gut shots flushs all sorts this place is  fixed on the cash tables to make action to increase profits.i would love to see who looks into these sites to see if  this is true.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to does anyone make a profit on sky poker:
    Posted by wingwizard

GO DIRECLTY TO MY BLOGS ,
     IF YOU PASS GO COLLECT £200,
     IF YOU DON'T I WILL SEND YOU TO BAD BEAT JAIL LOL .

NAH TAKE AT LOOK AT THE BLOGS SERIOUSLY ,
    IT MAY HELP YOU OUT M8Y ,
    ITS WORTH A LOOK .

DENIS

• edited January 2011
    quick awsner is not a chance unless you play the high tabels as the play here is so bad i dout ivey could get a profit just came of a 10p 20 table and seen some of the worst poker evr seen and the guy was 70quid up calling with gut shots flushs all sorts this place is  fixed on the cash tables to make action to increase profits.i would love to see who looks into these sites to see if  this is true.
    Posted by camilo
    lol - and this makes them bad and the site fixed  lol and ive seen terrible play on all the other sites at 10c/20c lol ps, i take it you lost?
  • edited January 2011
    I think the 5% comes from when the top players are playing each other over and over. You often hear the top HU players saying they don't play certain players because there is little or no edge, so the house always wins. If players play below their level then they will win more. For example I recently made the move from 50nl to 100nl. I found it very hard to make a consistant profit and was relying on rakeback, as 100nl is full of regular grinders and there is little value. I have now moved back to 50nl and making good profits again. My point is on a 6 seater full of regular grinders of a similar ability only 1 may consistantly make a profit, the others may rely on rakeback with 1 or 2 making a steady loss.... Sometimes less is more.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    i understand but even 1 of 6 is still 17% give or take, is not the <1%/5% most likely players that make aliving out of it, not the ones that make a profit, however small?
  • edited January 2011

Posted by camilo

Oh dear.

• edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: does anyone make a profit on sky poker : Oh dear.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    LOL

xx
  • edited January 2011
    When i say regularly making monies i mean comfortably beating the game.
    It's all relative though as a winning 1p/2p player is going to find it tuff to go crush £1/£2 so the numbers are a bit skewed.  I don't really take these players into consideration when guessing numbers though..... winning £3 (1.5 buyins) is still winning i suppose but is just a blip in the whole scheme of things.
    The real money in the game circulates at $50nl and above imo.  Players playing below these stakes can almost be disregarded in overall stats.
    Probably 20-25% of cash players make monies but very little (averaged out incl rakeback/CFP)
    Probably 10% are winning players but not massive
    Probably 1-2% crush the game they play for good monies.

Wish i was in that 1-2% :/
  • edited January 2011
    Posted by camilo
    <3
  • edited January 2011
    Hi, I have been playing on here for about 2 weeks and have done pretty well playing in MTT's, by playing tight aggressive in the lower buy in tournaments and waiting for good spots I have won a few and cashed several times, the players in these tournies can often be poor or inexperienced at times and gives you a good chance to do well, as far as cash games go I dont play too often but when I have I have generally done ok. I might just be running good but I have increased my starting bankroll x8 so far.