You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Flat or raise flop

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
This is from my first cash session for a while tonight.

I've got no notes on my oppo. He's been sat at the table for about 20 minutes or so & he's been very passive pre, limping into a lot of pots from any position & always limp/calling if there's been a raise. I've not seen any of his hands go to showdown as he's mostly folded post flop.

The flop comes down & whilst it's not perfect it's certainly not a disaster giving me an OESD. This is the first time I remember him leading out so I figure that there's a strong chance I'm behind here either to a bare king or 2 pair type hand. However, with the draw I actually don't feel all that bad about it.

My main question here would be is it best to flat & re-evaluate the turn or raise to try & get it all in now? At the time I thought that if I could get it all in at this point then I was fairly certain he'd call but obviously I'd need to hit.

Bearing in mind this is a cash game is that a really bad thought process?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £11.24
 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £8.27
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

OPPO Call  £0.10 £0.25 £4.30
 Fold     
 Fold     
silentbob Raise  £0.40 £0.65 £16.95
 Call  £0.35 £1.00 £10.89
 Fold     
OPPO Call  £0.30 £1.30 £4.00
Flop

• Q
  • K

Check     
OPPO Bet  £0.40 £1.70 £3.60
silentbob Flat or Raise?     

Comments

• edited January 2011

Noooo you don't wanna be raising here.

Tbh, it's a pretty awful flop, even with the draw, you will only need 1 card to make the straight if the draw comes in, so your implied odds are terrible too.

I'd probably just call the flop, and snap fold the turn if he fires again. (unless I hit ofc)

Also if he's calling raises 100% of the time after limping, experiment with your raise sizes, trying to get as much money in pre with premium hands as you can.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Flat or raise flop:
    Noooo you don't wanna be raising here. Tbh, it's a pretty awful flop, even with the draw, you will only need 1 card to make the straight if the draw comes in, so your implied odds are terrible too. I'd probably just call the flop, and snap fold the turn if he fires again. (unless I hit ofc) Also if he's calling raises 100% of the time after limping, experiment with your raise sizes, trying to get as much money in pre with premium hands as you can.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Pretty much all that.

And besides, he could easily have u beat and same draw as you so you'll be racing for a chop at best if he has QJ or KJ!

• edited January 2011
    Your looking for an A here, a 9 could give you the idiot end, a J on the turn would be a real headache as JJ says flat and fold to another bet if no improvement.
  • edited January 2011
    oppo puts in a small bet 40p into a 1.30 pot.

something to be wary off,oppo flat, then called raise pre,could easily be playing,k 10,q,10,j,10,j9 kind of hands,

any ace with cards on the flop,then i think he,s raising pre.

so poss u read is right,top pair,or 2 pair.
    basically u have to hit an ace.
    jack could be a terrible card for you.
    could give him the straight.
    u have 16.95 behind,raise to maybe 1.05p
    then if he calls,u have your answer,and still get to see the turn,pray for an ace.
    if he re-raises you instant fold.
    AT least u have asked the question,and got an answer
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks peeps

I'm afraid to say that I totally butchered this hand which is why I ended up posting it here :(

Still, that's what this place is for & it's another lesson learned