You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is it really a 50\50 race

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
When ace king against a pocket pair,what are the correct odds for the  A K to win,on a 6 max table,when its 1 on 1.
could you please explain the mathematics in your answer.

The way i see it the A K has 6 outs,there are 40 cards left in the deck in wich 3 are dead cards.
so 37 divided by 6 gives you a 1\6 chance to hit your out,which eqautes to about16%,now u have 5 cards to hit,so threfore is it 5 x 16, which would give 80%,surely this cant

or do we count as such.
only count the cards in our hand,so could poss be

50 cards to come - your outs then cards after the river =45 - 6

would rouhgly eqaute to 45\50 x 39\45 which roughly is .9 x .8 =.72 which means 28% for the ACE KING to win.

The reason im asking this is mid to late on in a tourny when in a late position,if i jamm with a pocket pair,what would be my odds,if i ran into  AK,

Comments

• edited January 2011
    44\50 x 39\46 =0.9  x 0.8 = 0.72 =28%

dont think it showed my calculations
  • edited January 2011
    Get Pokerstove its very good m8 and free to use and download.
  • edited January 2011
    from what i remember its 48/52 and if ak is suited its pretty much 50/50. if the pp is suited you got a dodgy pack of cards!!!!
  • edited January 2011
    can any 1 show me the maths to this,the way ive worked it out the pocket pair is 72% to win
  • edited January 2011
    there's a big flaw in your reasoning.

Firstly though, around 48/52 in favour of the pp is correct, preflop- QQ/JJ/TT I think are slightly bigger favourites due to stealing straight possibilities, and less chance of counterfeiting- 22 is of course the lowest odds because of the amount of 2 pair possibilities.

When you work out the odds of a 1v1 hand, the only cards you take into account are yours and your opponents- the other cards are all unknown. So it's taken from 48 cards, of which 6 cards are good.

Odds of hitting are;

6/48*42/47*41/46*40/45*39/44 which is 0.0784, or 7.8%. That's the odds of the first card hitting, and the other 4 not. Multiply that by 5 (so you're working out odds of hitting on each street) and you get 39.2%. That's solely the odds of hitting your pair card. This doesn't take into account all the 2 pair, trips, house, quads, straight, flush combos, nor does it take into account the possibility of hitting, but your opponent also hitting.

Because of all that, it's much easier to simply accept that overcards against a pp is *roughly* 50/50, with a slight edge to the pp. There might be an easier way to work it out (OTHER than pokerstove :P) but I certainly don't know it- I think working out every variable would be quite laborious, much easier to memorise the basic odds and accept them.

• edited January 2011
    thank you dueces live