You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Monster hand against loose cannon?

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
This was a hand from the las vegas quarter- I'd played against the villain in the satellite to the quarter (we both got through it), so I have a fair idea of his game- though he may have been looser due to the structure and buyin. One hand in particular sticks out, I had around 1400 (7/8 bbs at the time) in the SB, and raised 3x with AJ. He shoved on me (with around 15 bigs) and I of course called- he turned over the powerhouse that is 63os. He also called a ~12 bb allin, with little more than that himself, with 67s, and showed a propensity to limp a lot of hands preflop, calling literally any bet behind. Once he put money in the pot, he tended to defend it more often than not. He also loves playing random aces, and I noticed him on 3 occasions minraise when an A hit, and saw him turn up an ace on two of those (very raggy).

Based on this, I wanted to get as much in as quickly as possible, knowing he's likely to play with most cards, and could be holding literally anything. Preflop and on flop I knew I was good, but I've seen him play a number of flush draws incredibly passively- check/raising.

So question #1- how do you play the turn? My thought at the time was I'm not biting and letting him check raise me allin, leaving me in a spot where I'm very likely drawing dead, and thought I'd see another card. He is literally so unpredictable I have no idea where I'm at, and in a satellite survival is key in my mind.

After that decision, what do you do on the river? I planned to check call a reasonable bet, but the A is literally a killer card, and left me cursing not betting the turn- I'm not sure he'd fold anyway.

How would you play the entire hand, given the information? I think the river has to be a fold based on reads, he might have stone cold bluffs in his arsenal but I think it far more likely he has the A or flush.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxxx Small blind   100.00 100.00 8615.00
horses Big blind   200.00 300.00 1650.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

DeucesLive Raise   600.00 900.00 4705.63
stormy1928 Fold        
Hampi2008 Fold        
xxxx Call   500.00 1400.00 8115.00
horses Fold        
Flop

• Q

xxxx Check        
DeucesLive Bet   800.00 2200.00 3905.63
xxxx Call   800.00 3000.00 7315.00
Turn

xxxx Check        
DeucesLive Check        
River

• A

xxxx Bet   3000.00 6000.00 4315.00
DeucesLive Fold        
xxxx Muck        
xxxx Win   3000.00   7315.00
xxxx Return   3000.00 0.00 10315.00

Comments

• edited January 2011
    bet alot bigger on the flop id bet/call turn.  river is probably a fold as KJ AJ AT etc etc gets there and then loose people start betting big they generally have it.

btw about your AJ hand in the notes at the start why not just jam pre?

oh and you like to use the word literally alot dont you :p
  • edited January 2011
    haha that's what I get for not proofreading :D I tend to post thoughts as they come to me which results in stuff like that :(

well I'd already picked up on his game, so I opened normally with AJ with the full intention of getting it in- I've seen him make crazy moves with weak hands (but more like suited cons/K/Q high etc, so I knew I'm like 80% ahead of his shoving range) but the 63 was another level entirely, lol.

As it turned out, he built up a monster stack and I then stacked him around 20 minutes later- he doubled me up twice before I knocked him out, lovely chap. Made qualifying for the semi quite a lot easier! Literally. I think I agree that I should have bet the flop a little heavier based on notes though, and perhaps not been such a wimp on the turn. I think it turned out to be a good decision more by luck than judgement, since he's so unlikely to fold and I'd have committed myself to a hand which I'm behind by the river.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Monster hand against loose cannon?:
    haha that's what I get for not proofreading :D I tend to post thoughts as they come to me which results in stuff like that :( well I'd already picked up on his game, so I opened normally with AJ with the full intention of getting it in- I've seen him make crazy moves with weak hands (but more like suited cons/K/Q high etc, so I knew I'm like 80% ahead of his shoving range) but the 63 was another level entirely, lol. As it turned out, he built up a monster stack and I then stacked him around 20 minutes later- he doubled me up twice before I knocked him out, lovely chap. Made qualifying for the semi quite a lot easier! Literally. I think I agree that I should have bet the flop a little heavier based on notes though, and perhaps not been such a wimp on the turn. I think it turned out to be a good decision more by luck than judgement, since he's so unlikely to fold and I'd have committed myself to a hand which I'm behind by the river.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    I thought this was normal for KK.

Yea i know what your getting at pre, and i probably make the same mistakes post flop, but i think the advice given is good.
  • edited January 2011
    Donny he means AJ hand 80% ahead of villains range

Defo pot flop with flush draw out there and get in most turns, problem is if you put him on flush draw you gave him best odds ever to hit??

NVM at least you got through still well done
  • edited January 2011
  • edited January 2011
    On the flop,its a straight\flush drawing board,u make what looks like a c bet,just over half pot.
    If u put him on an ace,u really dont want to see another card,i would have jammed on the flop.
    I f he out draws you ,thats poker,is he really gonna risk half his stack on a draw,either way your then puttin real pressure on him,as you played it,all the pressure is on you.now u hav to fold.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Monster hand against loose cannon?:
    Play like this loose cannon ftw :)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m-ffyW6joc
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thats a class video, poor Phil lol